+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian ruling for online poker

movingtoCanada

Nov 22, 2011
Hey guys

I'm a Belgian student and in my final year in college I barely have courses to take.
I only have 3 exams in january and 1 in june and I am planning to move abroad in the mean time.
My goal is to gain life experience and Canada is on top of my list.

Since I can't graduate before june, I'll have to look for some side job to pay for most bills while I am in Canada.
I'm about to graduate as a physiotherapist but I don't think I can find a job in that sector without the degree.
Here in my homecountry I have made quite some money with online poker and I am planning to pay a part of the bills from it in Canada.

But is online poker legal in Canada? I can make enough money from it to pay for rent and food every month.
I have a personal deal with some European poker sites and I don't know if I have access to those in Canada.
In case I do have access, I also wonder if/how my winnings should be taxed. According to the Belgian system or according to the Canadian system.

Canada is my first choice but the plan is not concrete yet.
In case there are any pitfalls for moving to Canada I would love to read it on the forum

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

If your plan is to move to Canada permanently (i.e. not just visit for a short time), then you first need to determine how you will do this. In other words, how are you going to immigrate and become a permanent resident of Canada.

To become a permanent resident of Canada, you have to apply under a specific category and your application must then be approved/accepted.

The different options for immigrating are explained here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

If you are really interested in moving to Canada, then I would strongly recommend you review the immigration options explained in the link above. This is your first step to determining how you can make Canada your home.

movingtoCanada

Nov 22, 2011
I'm not planning to live in Canada permanently (yet?)
I'm planning to go there for 4-5 months after january and if I like it I will make an evaluation for the future.
I assume the link you provided about immigration does not apply to the trip I am about to make?

I don't know if it takes a lot of work for me to make this happen.
I'm trying to estimate what country is best for me to go to and my heart says Canada.

I hope I can book my ticket soon and it's not going to be too much paper work

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
movingtoCanada said:
I'm not planning to live in Canada permanently (yet?)
I'm planning to go there for 4-5 months after january and if I like it I will make an evaluation for the future.
I assume the link you provided about immigration does not apply to the trip I am about to make?

I don't know if it takes a lot of work for me to make this happen.
I'm trying to estimate what country is best for me to go to and my heart says Canada.

I hope I can book my ticket soon and it's not going to be too much paper work

Belgian citizens are visa exempt.

You can visit Canada (conditions apply), but moving is a whole different situation.

You will need to prove that you are visiting, start reading here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

movingtoCanada

Nov 22, 2011
I just read the criteria and I think none of them are a problem.
I wonder where I should find the immigration officer to satisfy, and how long it might take before I can officially make sure that I match all criteria that are mentioned. It remains unclear if I need a health examination and I don't have a letter of invitation. The idea comes from myself and I don't have relatives over there. I just want to get to know your culture.
As a student I have made about 20 000 euros from holiday jobs. I hope that is enough to stay for 4-5 months.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should take in what order?
A friend of mine shares an apartment with some Canadian woman he never met before.
I'd appreciate it if someone could provide valid information about how I should start looking for a place to live

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Wasn't movingtocanada asking whether online poker is legal in Canada?

All the answers counselled him about the immigration process, and ignored the central question.

Just pointing out this curiosity.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
movingtoCanada said:
I just read the criteria and I think none of them are a problem.
I wonder where I should find the immigration officer to satisfy, and how long it might take before I can officially make sure that I match all criteria that are mentioned. It remains unclear if I need a health examination and I don't have a letter of invitation. The idea comes from myself and I don't have relatives over there. I just want to get to know your culture.
As a student I have made about 20 000 euros from holiday jobs. I hope that is enough to stay for 4-5 months.

Can anyone tell me what steps I should take in what order?
A friend of mine shares an apartment with some Canadian woman he never met before.
I'd appreciate it if someone could provide valid information about how I should start looking for a place to live
Since you are only visiting with a Belgian passport, you don't need health examination and letter of invitation. Just get a plane ticket, arrange a hotel room or pre-arrange an apartment (see www.rentbc.com for available listings) and hope you can stay for 4-5 months with your 20,000 euros.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
The fact that B.C. operates one may be precisely why it is illegal for others -- to preserve the government monopoly. There is no "fair" in tax affairs.