+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

HabsFan416

May 28, 2022
The agent on the phone said it was too early to transfer the file to a Service Canada passport office as my travel date is July 3, 2022. In theory, I could received it in the mail in the next 2 weeks. If not I have to call back and hopefully get through to request the file to be transfeered or risk it and try to line up super early at an actual office. So by math, I'm thiking about June 17ish

Reactions: pratik2525pratik25

elcabalito2017

Mar 21, 2017
You ask (file number) from the agent , what they're doing is just putting basic information in the system and not scanning the documents, what they should do is to scan them as well while putting our information in the system.

When agent tells you the file number, don't forget to ask if he/she can see the documents, if they can see, you're good for local office transfer
Yes thanks, got my file number. Officer requested the transfer to Hamilton office. Hopefully they call me soon!

Reactions: Adil Sulehri

KR14

Oct 22, 2021
Okay few things to take care of when talking to an agent over the phone

Get your file number
Agent will say they have transferred your file to your local office but that's not true
An office over the counter can only help you if your documents are scanned
Important thing, for people who are renewing their passports , they should be filling out a new form and go with pictures even after an agent has told them that their file has been transferred, trust me it is not the case
I had to involve my local MP (Jagmeet Singh) who also happens to be NDP leader, only after his involvement they scanned my documents, otherwise the nightmare would have continued

For people who are applying for the first time, it's way complicated, an agent has to see your oath certificate in order to issue you a passport at local office
Two things (if your documents are not scanned, he will fill out a form and ask you to sign it and then he will send that form to concerned authorities to verify your oath certificate (you should have your oath certificate number)
If you're lucky enough and they reply in time, then you need fill out a new form with guarantor and references with pictures (you should be going with all of this beforehand)
The only bad thing about that is he/she can only issue you 2 years valid passport but they gonna charge 5 year fee
Man it has been a mess and so difficult to get a passport in case of emergency
I got mine yesterday, so this is hands on experience :)
If the documents already scanned, are they going to process for printing? I dont know if I will seek a help for my local MP .any insight?

Adil Sulehri

Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver
If the documents already scanned, are they going to process for printing? I dont know if I will seek a help for my local MP .any insight?
Yes they will, they printed mine in 60 to 90 minutes
Every case is different though and also depends on the agent you're talking to, mine was very cooperative and went above and beyond
Total charges were $335 something, he only charged $160 for 10 years and $20 pick up fee

Bobble

May 26, 2022
Mail in application with no travel date filled
Application sent: 2022-03-21
Application received: 2022-03-23
CC charged: 2022-05-26
Citizenship Certificate received: 2022-05-30
Passport Received: 2022-06-03

I should put tentatively received. I missed the postie but I have door tag and I'm not expecting anything else. At least now I have an anticipated date of tomorrow after 1pm

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi anyone knows when do they return the original documents like birth certificate and old passports?

AliceAccident

Jun 3, 2022
Application mailed (from BC) : April 4th. Opted for non-urgent processing.
Application received : April 11th
Filled out a form for tracking : May 4th. No response
Filled out a form for tracking : May 12th. No response
Filled out a form for tracking (yep again) : May 21st. No response
CC charged: May 26th
Ticket from Canada post received in mailbox : May 30th - Citizenship Certificate
Ticket from Canada post received in mailbox : June 3rd - Passport
I have never received any tracking details from them. I have not called them.
My partner's application was sent in the same envelope when applying for passport.
He never filled out a form for tracking details. His haven't received anything yet and his CC is still not charged.
Good luck to you all!

Reactions: Bobble

Eddie84

Jun 3, 2022
Anymore people who renew child passport that was submit in may
Yes, I applied for my 2 kids passports and they were delivered May 4th. One renewal and one first time passport. I travel July 20th. I've been checking CC everyday but no charge yet.

a987

Star Member
May 23, 2022
Yes, I applied for my 2 kids passports and they were delivered May 4th. One renewal and one first time passport. I travel July 20th. I've been checking CC everyday but no charge yet.
ok one day behind... keep me posted. by the way you should make an appointment at passport office. you have the right to apply urgent
I need to change my payment type but if my CC have been charge it will give me a notices on my iphone

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
hey guys,

I know it's a silly question, but does a postman put notification inside your mailbox or outside?

I just don't check my mail that often.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Sly1

Apr 22, 2022
Hey guys, so here is my timeline:

Application sent: 12th March 2022
Application received: 18th March 2022
Card Charged: 12th April
Called on 12th of May for an update, but my file was in examination. Called again on the 30th of May to give a travel date and request for a file transfer.
Passport and certificate sent: June 1st
Passport and certificate received in one envelope: June 4th.

Thanks guys and good luck!!!

Reactions: Bobble