+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
Update:
My Passport application experience @ Richmond:
1) As per my earlier post above, my appointment was pre-scheduled @ 10.30 AM today. I arrived at 10.20 at building lobby area.
2) I skipped all the queues and walked straight to the check in counter (labelled Passport + Biometrics). They had my name printed on their Appointment sheet and the guard informed that I will need to wait for 30 minutes. (I saw 1 person who had an appointment, but their names were not on their sheet, and were still accommodated with us)
3) Then I stood in the queue for fixed appointments - there were 6-7 people ahead of me. (There was a separate queue for Walk-ins/Service Canada which was LONG - approx. 25-30 people and their line barely moved, only 2 people taken in while I was waiting)
4) In 30 minutes my name was called and I was given a token by the guard, had to orally affirm that I have no COVID-stuff and then was sent to the 3rd floor.
5) 3rd floor is their actual office - another security guard confirmed my name + token and immediately sent me to a vacant screening counter (there were 2 with on-duty staff)
6) Screening took like 5 mins. I was given another token receipt and was told to take a seat for my number to be announced by one of the Passport counters (there seemed to be 4 staffed counters out of 10+)
7) After 10-15 minutes I was called by one of the Officer. Scanned my original DL, Citizenship Cert and my flight tickets. Returned all of them back to me. Paid $210 (Express). I was asked by what date I needed the Passport, I requested 17th and they gave me a receipt for pick-up on 17th. Pick up is from Vancouver (Sinclair) from early morning to afternoon. I was told that for some reason, Passport Canada has a deluge of pickups this week so I might need to wait in queue during my pickup.
8) Very helpful officers - both Pre-screening who actually congratulated me on acquiring Citizenship + the officer.
9) I was out of the office by 11.15 - Overall I was in and out in less than an hour.
Final Update:
Collected my passport from their Vancouver office (Sinclair building) today. I walked in at 9.10 AM and there was absolutely no one in queue for Passport pickups. The officer asked for the receipt, handed over my new passport and made me sign on the bio page. I was in and out of the building in under 3 minutes. A perfect way to end my delay-laden stressful journey with IRCC. Thanks!

kzaman

May 31, 2015
So I finally got a call aftet 6 days from Passport office against my request to book an appointment. They said that no date is available before 1st of May and to mail in my application. It seems that that they are asking everyone to mail in the request if they have no urgent travel. Any suggestions which office to go to which has the shortest line if I want to submit my application as a walk in request? I live in Mississauga

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
It seems that that they are asking everyone to mail in the request if they have no urgent travel.
That has always been the case since Omicron. You are not supposed to be requesting a callback using online portal if you don't travel under 25 business days and have confirmed flight tickets purchased.

If I were you I would make short visits to few Service Canada outlets in proximity and check out the lines and the best times to visit.

CasioLottoMax

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
That has always been the case since Omicron. You are not supposed to be requesting a callback using online portal if you don't travel under 25 business days and have confirmed flight tickets purchased.

If I were you I would make short visits to few Service Canada outlets in proximity and check out the lines and the best times to visit.
That's not the latest condition anymore. Since few weeks the 3rd option has been added that you can request for a call back and set up an appointment if you travel beyond 26 days and NO proof of travel is necessary.

I had no urgency or immediate need of a passport so I tried this option out....well...instead of call back in 2 x working days I received the call bay after 8 working days (I waited for 1 x week and entered another appointment request online). I received the call yesterday and the first available appointment in Calgary was for 11th April which I confirmed.

kzaman

May 31, 2015
That's not the latest condition anymore. Since few weeks the 3rd option has been added that you can request for a call back and set up an appointment if you travel beyond 26 days and NO proof of travel is necessary.

I had no urgency or immediate need of a passport so I tried this option out....well...instead of call back in 2 x working days I received the call bay after 8 working days (I waited for 1 x week and entered another appointment request online). I received the call yesterday and the first available appointment in Calgary was for 11th April which I confirmed.
Yes, that's correct, the third option has been added now but it seems in the callback they are still asking applications to be mailed for some localities like GTA because of high volume. Just waisted 6 days waiting for the call when I could have mailed it in earlier. I'll see if walk in works else will just mail it in.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015

Apologies, my bad. Yes there is an option "By Appointment" for +25 days of travel. I guess doing that will save you hours in queue. If I wouldn't have had any urgency, I would have either did what you did or applied by mail.

shazahsan

May 17, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I applied as a walk-in this morning at the Kitchener passport office and it surprisingly went very smoothly! I filled out the booking request form 4 days ago and still haven't received a call back to schedule an appointment, so I decided to try walking in anyway. I had proof of travel with me. Got there around 8:15, there were already 15 or so people ahead of me lined up outside the office. The security guard asked me if I had an appointment, I said no, but I had proof of travel... I was totally expecting him to send me away, but he said 'not a problem' and asked me to join the line. Another 20 people joined the line after me. Only about 5-6 had appointments, the majority of the rest were walk-ins, and a few people were picking up passports with receipts. At 8:30, they started letting people in. There were different lines for walk ins, appointments and pick-ups. It was very well organized! Got my documents checked and was given a token number. Waited about 15-20 mins until it was my turn. The agent did not ask for any proof of travel. They had quite a bit of people working there, lots of open counters. All in all, I was out by 9:15. Since my travel date is April 1, 15 business days away, I applied with regular processing.
Just received my passport in the mail! Applied last Friday with regular processing (10 business days), recieved it a week later today.

Reactions: sirjoe and berabad

Raheel16

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Travelling within 25 days, booked an appointment online on Mar 1st, got the call back on Mar 4th, earliest appointment in Mississauga was Mar 18th. I went in today for 9:45 appointment, long line up for those without appointment, with appointment wait time was less than 5 minutes to go in. They checked the travel itinerary, made a copy, paid $50 for express pick up on Mar 23rd, flight is on Mar 25th. I was out by 10:45.

PS. there was long pick up line as well, not sure how quick it was moving. I'd assume it shouldn't take too long as you're simply going in to pick it up, but there were at least 15-20 people in line.

MartinH1337

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Any idea as to what's the average time to receive a phone call after you fill the service Canada webform for in-person appointment? It says 2 business days on their website but it's already been 3 days for me.
I've been waiting 5 days now, so I submitted another request online. Is it confirmed that they also work weekends?

kzaman

May 31, 2015
I've been waiting 5 days now, so I submitted another request online. Is it confirmed that they also work weekends?
I got the call after 6 days on a Friday. But no bookings were available until May 1, so they told me to either mail in the application or try my luck with walk in

vladmirgc

Apr 10, 2014
I visited the passport office on 2022-03-16 for my application. They asked me to return on 2022-03-30 to pick it up.
If their estimate is correct, it should just take 14 days to get it.

duytuanbme

Oct 4, 2018
Hello friends, I'm looking to applying my passport by walking in St. Catherines and Kitchener office. Do you happen to know if they're open to walk-ins?

Thanks for your help!

MartinH1337

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
I got the call after 6 days on a Friday. But no bookings were available until May 1, so they told me to either mail in the application or try my luck with walk in
I assume you do not require urgent or express processing? I have a flight in 9 business days (was 15 business days when I first contacte dthem, but no reply).

kzaman

May 31, 2015
I visited the passport office on 2022-03-16 for my application. They asked me to return on 2022-03-30 to pick it up.
If their estimate is correct, it should just take 14 days to get it.
Did you book an appointment or was it walk in? Can you also advise which center this was?