+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm getting the impression that the passport processing is also going roughly LIFO with the backlog, like the citizenship processing! October passport applications seem to be processed fast, while many from the summer are still waiting. Like how 2022 citizenship applications are being processed quickly, 2021 variable, and 2020 and prior very slowly.
I'm not going to defend how they're handling it but I will say this: there are 'reasons' (good reasons) to segregate processing normal/everyday routine new apps from fixing a backlog, if/iff you are reasonably sure the reason for the backlog was temporary.

"Good reasons" is from the perspective of management, of course, and depending on their own policies/priorities. They won't seem like good reasons to anyone waiting.

[Short form is different resources needed, long-term aspects like training, and use of physical space, etc. But mainly because of bottlenecks in 'digging out' from the backlog. Easier/better to make two separate processes, one for new/normal business, and one - temporary - for the backlog. If it helps to visualize, the backlog is a mineshaft with limited physical access and adding resources only slightly increases output. But if you have a new/underuitilized shaft - ie new applications coming in - you can get much better output.

This is just an analogy so like all analogies imperfect, if you think it's wrong, ignore.

But if you're just angry that your app is in the backlog - there is a reason, even if it's not beneficial to you.]

Reactions: A_S

micky.nice

Feb 19, 2022
Maybe that's why you received it fast! There is a passport office in Mississauga that mostly processes urgent applications. Maybe Ottawa is just very slow in general and sent yours over to them?

Seems to be a common theme about Ottawa being super slow in general, with citizenship applications processed by Ottawa also taking super long, but some of us who had our files sent to Niagara Falls got more reasonable processing times.
When i called the Passeport agent on Monday they asked me if i wanted my application transferd to Ottawa Office so i could pick it up in person and i was a bit confused because i applied in Ottawa and i just said yes. But the day after an Agent from Mississauga Called me to review my request and told me that it was already sent by post and i told her to leave it that way. I dont think i was procesed urgently just because i had no travel date.

Reactions: trumprefugee

Doom__V

May 6, 2018
Some people just want to judge people on what questions they are asking. Last I checked nobody assigned them as Gatekeepers of this forum for what one can or cannot ask. One may be genuinely confused or lost due to too much info / threads on this forum. If you dont like the question, ignore and move on , nobody is forcing you to reply !
Exactly my point! At least do some basic search and read the form that is for the specific purpose- passport or citizenship or whatever instead of starting a question to ask what is the checklist and documentation requirements!
They are well documented on the canada.ca website.

people in this forum have also gone great lengths to document the entire process and pinned the threads at top. Respect that person’s effort.
If there are specific queries people are willing to support to best of their capabilities and understanding. But starting with just very basic question is not right!

Reactions: wincanton

morningzc

Jun 27, 2021
Hi experts, I am going to apply the passport urgently with hotel booked info (travel plan) in Mississauga passport center. Does anyone know is there a long line up everyday? What else should I notice? Compare to Mississauga centre, 74 Victoria sounds much quicker, is it?Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi experts, I am going to apply the passport urgently with hotel booked info (travel plan) in Mississauga passport center. Does anyone know is there a long line up everyday? What else should I notice? Compare to Mississauga centre, 74 Victoria sounds much quicker, is it?Thank you in advance.
i am apply nvmber 8-2022 74 victoria st without any air ticket and hotel booking standard application my passport pickup date is 23 november total time spend 1 hrs 30 min

Reactions: sakthi_pps

CaribbeanSensation

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Just received my passport!! That was very quick!! They originally told me to expect it next week. Says that it was issued on the 7th which is a business day after I applied. Applied at the Passport office in Orléans. Regular processing.

nibharad

Dec 15, 2019
Just Received my passport

here are the timelines.

Address: 60 Gillingham Drive, Brampton
Type of Office: Regular Service Canada (Not passport office)
Application Type : In-person, non urgent
Application Date: 27th October
Passport Received on: 14th Nov

As per Service Canada Agent, I was told I will get the passport by 25th Nov plus 5 business days for post.
if you can, try going to 40 Gillingham Drive which is a passport office where the processing times are even faster. Hope this helps.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Yeah go to 74 victoria street, or to the one in Brampton. Less crowded in Brampton

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
I was able to have all four applications transferred to a passport office. It was done over the phone - they still requested a travel itinerary - which has to be within the two weeks after the transfer request. Our applications were transferred to Mississauga's passport office and has an ETA for Nov 16th as we have a trip scheduled for the 17th. We are driving and the agent on the phone said hotel reservations were enough and I could also present a declaration if I wanted to. Now waiting to hear from the passport office as to when we can go pick it up... fingers crossed.
Did you receive your passport yet? Were you charged for the transfer to the passport office?