+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadain Citizen with US Green Card and CKD wants to return to Canada to retire

albert1945

May 26, 2014
Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen, US resident, Green Card holder, age 69, with End Stage Kidney Failure, on Peritoneal Dialysis covered by Medicare. Can I return to Canada, qualify for Canadian Permanent Residence and qualify for Canadian Health care for my Dialysis treatment? Or would I be refused due to undue medical excessive demand on health or social services?

Appreciate your response.

Al

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As a Canadian citizen you can certainly return to Canada and live here at any time - and also use the Canadian health care system.

It sounds like you have been outside of Canada for some time. If so, you will likely have to live in Canada for three months before provincial health care coverage will kick in again. During these three months, you will have to pay for any medical care you receive out of your own pocket (or secure private insurance to cover these costs).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
It sounds like you have been outside of Canada for some time. If so, you will likely have to live in Canada for three months before provincial health care coverage will kick in again. During these three months, you will have to pay for any medical care you receive out of your own pocket (or secure private insurance to cover these costs).
This is not true.

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/moving-to-Alberta.html