+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada visit on PR but never lived in Canada

PRANJAL0407

Oct 18, 2019
Hi,

I am planning to visit Canada for a week. I have a Canadian PR which I received in 2019 and is due to expire on January 2025. I have only lived in Canada in total for 2 days during my soft landing and have the permanent resident card with me.

Questions: 1. can I visit Canada for a week using my PR card or do I have to apply for a tourist visa?
2. Have I lost my PR status?
3. Can I drive US registered car within Canada during my visit?

Thanks in advance!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Is it possible to get my PR Card extended even though I have not lived in Canada for 730 days?
Do you have any H&C reason so that you could not travel and live in Canada? (caring for dying family. personal health issue that you cannot travel...)
If so you can could try to apply to renew under H&C after you have arrived in Canada.
Otherwise, no, you cannot apply for PR card renewal unless you are in Canada and meet your RO.

PRANJAL0407

Oct 18, 2019
Do you have any H&C reason so that you could not travel and live in Canada? (caring for dying family. personal health issue that you cannot travel...)
If so you can could try to apply to renew under H&C after you have arrived in Canada.
Otherwise, no, you cannot apply for PR card renewal unless you are in Canada and meet your RO.
Thanks for you response! But am I still eligible to enter Canada using my PR card which is due to expire in January 2025 even though I have not lived in Canada for 730 days?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for you response! But am I still eligible to enter Canada using my PR card which is due to expire in January 2025 even though I have not lived in Canada for 730 days?
Yes. However...you could be questioned (perhaps at length) if the CBSA officers sees that you cannot possibly meet your Residency Obligation( R.O.) to maintain your PR status after the card expires. Having only 2 days in Canad, looking back...may very well lead to questions. Just be prepared in advance.

I'm not certain if a 44(1) report could be created by the CBSA officer, but perhaps others here will offer their feedback regarding that. A 44(1) report is the first step towards PR status being revoked, but it is NOT automatic.

Technically, you could enter Canada even after your PR card expires, but it would have to be from a land border (PoE). Valid PR Cards are required for PRs returning to Canada via a commercial carrier, unless they hold a valid U.S. passport.

Good luck!

PRANJAL0407

Oct 18, 2019
Yes. However...you could be questioned (perhaps at length) if the CBSA officers sees that you cannot possibly meet your Residency Obligation( R.O.) to maintain your PR status after the card expires. Having only 2 days in Canad, looking back...may very well lead to questions. Just be prepared in advance.

I'm not certain if a 44(1) report could be created by the CBSA officer, but perhaps others here will offer their feedback regarding that. A 44(1) report is the first step towards PR status being revoked, but it is NOT automatic.

Technically, you could enter Canada even after your PR card expires, but it would have to be from a land border (PoE). Valid PR Cards are required for PRs returning to Canada via a commercial carrier, unless they hold a valid U.S. passport.

Good luck!
Thanks! Since I am visiting Canada for a week and there could be questions in my situation should I apply for a Canada tourist visa? Or I can enter and stay in Canada for a week with my PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks! Since I am visiting Canada for a week and there could be questions in my situation should I apply for a Canada tourist visa? Or I can enter and stay in Canada for a week with my PR?
You need to officially renounce your PR status first if you want to apply for a tourist visa.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Got it! But I should be able to enter Canada with m PR for this trip. Right?
If entering into Canada is your major concern now, then you will be able to enter.
Getting into more questioning and possibility of being report may happen. BUT you will be allowed to entered regardless.