+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada - Residency obligation for PR Holder

madnan57843

Mar 27, 2024
Hi,

I recently got my PR visa and the time mention to land is January 2025 ( COPR VALID TO DATE ), I am planning to land in Canada in November 2024 and again go back to my native country.

As my parents are old and I have good job in my native country , I want to delay the process of permanently moving to canada and settling there.

My Queries are :

1. My final aim is to gain Canadian citizenship, Can any one guide me how much maximum time I can spend in my native country and the same time meet my residency obligation

2. From which date we need to calculate the residency obligation ?

1 November 2024 - 1 November 2025 => 1 Year

1 November 2025 - 1 November 2026 => 1 Year

1 November 2026 - 1 November 2027 => 1 Year

1 November 2027 - 1 November 2028 => 1 Year

1 November 2028 - 1 November 2029 => 1 Year

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I recently got my PR visa and the time mention to land is January 2025 ( COPR VALID TO DATE ), I am planning to land in Canada in November 2024 and again go back to my native country.

As my parents are old and I have good job in my native country , I want to delay the process of permanently moving to canada and settling there.

My Queries are :

1. My final aim is to gain Canadian citizenship, Can any one guide me how much maximum time I can spend in my native country and the same time meet my residency obligation

2. From which date we need to calculate the residency obligation ?

1 November 2024 - 1 November 2025 => 1 Year

1 November 2025 - 1 November 2026 => 1 Year

1 November 2026 - 1 November 2027 => 1 Year

1 November 2027 - 1 November 2028 => 1 Year

1 November 2028 - 1 November 2029 => 1 Year
1. Three years out of every rolling five years is the maximum time you can spend outside of Canada to meet the PR obligation. However this will not allow you to apply for citizenship.

2. The day you land and become a PR of Canada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You need to live in Canada for a minimum of 3 years (out of rolling 5 years from the day you apply) to apply for citizenship. This could change (which it did) so no one knows what's going to happen in the future.

Reactions: madnan57843

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Time spent in Canada for meeting the Residency Obligation to maintain PR status (and for citizenship applications) does not have to be concurrent. As long as you spend a minimum total of 1095 days in Canada within a rolling 5 year window, you would be eligible to apply for citizenship, as long as you meet the other requirements, of course.

madnan57843

Mar 27, 2024
Gratitude to all for your generous responses and guidance.

I find myself intrigued by the concept of the 'Rolling 5-Year Window,' frequently referenced here.

Could someone kindly provide a detailed explanation to enhance my understanding?

Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Gratitude to all for your generous responses and guidance.

I find myself intrigued by the concept of the 'Rolling 5-Year Window,' frequently referenced here.

Could someone kindly provide a detailed explanation to enhance my understanding?

Thank you.
It means literally any five year period. If you're examined (eg at a border or for citizenship or whatever) on Jan 1 2025, they look back five years to Jan 1 2020. It 'rolls' every day - so Jan 2, they're looking back to Jan 2 five years before.

madnan57843

Mar 27, 2024
Thank you to everyone for your generosity and for taking the time to answer my question.

Can I reside in Canada for 2 years with my initial PR card( First PR Card ) , then apply for a new PR card(Second PR Card) ?

Subsequently, while holding the second PR card, can I apply for citizenship after completing 3 years of residency?

First PR Card Validity => 1 November 2024 - 1 November 2029 => 2 Year stay in Canada ( 1 November 2027 - 1 Novermber 2029) => Pr card Renewal

Second PR Card Validity => 1 November 2029 - 1 November 2034 => 3+ Year Stay in Canada ( 1 November 2027 - 1 November 2030) => Apply for citizenship

Is this possible, Please provide guidance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you to everyone for your generosity and for taking the time to answer my question.

Can I reside in Canada for 2 years with my initial PR card( First PR Card ) , then apply for a new PR card(Second PR Card) ?

Subsequently, while holding the second PR card, can I apply for citizenship after completing 3 years of residency?
You can only apply for a new card when your old one has, I believe, nine months validity left. Or if lost, etc. But if you've two years in Canada at the time you apply (therefore less than 1095 days outside in last five years), no problem. You do not have to maintain a valid PR card - the card and status are different things.

Citizenship: the test is 1095 days in Canada of last five years, counted from the date of application.

I paid no attention to your dates or arithmetic, sure you can figure it out.

madnan57843

Mar 27, 2024
Thank you, for your response.

I would like further clarification :

With PR Card renewal the previous days which we stay in canada to get the pr card renewal ( for instance : 2 year ) get nullified or we can count for a residency obligation for getting the citizenship

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

With PR Card renewal the previous days which we stay in canada to get the pr card renewal ( for instance : 2 year ) get nullified or we can count for a residency obligation for getting the citizenship
I do not understand your question. In both cases they look at days in (or out) of Canada in the five years counting back from the date of application. The only days nullified are days outside/before that five years (or before becoming a pr).

(I'm simplifying a wee bit in ways that don't apply to this question, just flagging)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Calculation of PR card and of meeting requirement to apply for citizenship is separate.
PR RO days are calculated from the day of your interaction with IRCC or CBSA (PR card renewal, PRTD application, entering Canada border...etc) and it's 2 years within a rolling 5 years.
For citizenship application, it's calculated from the day you apply/sign and submit the application. Some special days before you become PR can be count towards citizenship (as foreign worker, study permit ...etc). I am not going to the details here.

In summary, you don't "use the days" for PR renewal and "lost them for citizenship days calculation".

Reactions: madnan57843

LadyPaix

Nov 30, 2019
Guys, I want to renew my PR Card, it expires Nov 26th, 2024. I have spent so far 490 days in Canada. In the period I have spent abroad caring for my parents back in my home country, my canadian spouse has spent time over there with me, he has been the one travelling back and forth between both countries. When I renew my PR Card in November, 2024, can I add that time together in my home country so that it counts towards the 730 days required to keep the PR status?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Guys, I want to renew my PR Card, it expires Nov 26th, 2024. I have spent so far 490 days in Canada. In the period I have spent abroad caring for my parents back in my home country, my canadian spouse has spent time over there with me, he has been the one travelling back and forth between both countries. When I renew my PR Card in November, 2024, can I add that time together in my home country so that it counts towards the 730 days required to keep the PR status?
Are you in Canada at the moment? The best approach would be to wait until you have 730 days in Canada in the 5 years prior to applying for PR card renewal. You can remain in Canada without a valid PR card. It's only really needed if you need to travel.

Reactions: LadyPaix and YVR123

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In most cases (apparently) time spent abroad with a Canadian spouse or partner does count towards the Residency Obligation. There have been cases where IRCC used the `who followed whom' formula, but the success rate overall seems to be higher than 50%. Perhaps substantially higher.

Having said that, the suggestion from @Besram is a good one.

Reactions: LadyPaix

LadyPaix

Nov 30, 2019
In most cases (apparently) time spent abroad with a Canadian spouse or partner does count towards the Residency Obligation. There have been cases where IRCC used the `who followed whom' formula, but the success rate overall seems to be higher than 50%. Perhaps substantially higher.

Having said that, the suggestion from @Besram is a good one.
ok, I am not in Canada at the moment, I am planning to go back in two weeks but then in June I need to come back for a couple of weeks to my home country. I am trying to calculate the total amount of days I would have spent in Canada if I renew my PR Card in November, so all this info you just provided helps me a lot! Thank you so much!!! :D