+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada recession ??

mellvin12345

Jul 19, 2012
I am aplying for a work permit.. Someone told me that theres a recession in canada?
Is is true??? Im afraid to be refused by canadian embassy due to recession...

Can someone tell me if it is true ?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is why I think Canada is not going through recession:

1. Canada is the least affected among the G8 countries and was able to recover the earliest.
2. Some economists may say otherwise but housing market is rock solid, although sales have decreased but prices are still rising, so real estate investment is pretty good. Most Canadians will skip meals but they will not skip their mortgage payments. Either ways economists say opposite to what is stated as fact, they get to keep their jobs this way. Unlike USA you won't see $500,000 houses in Toronto going for $200,000 in our lifetime.
3. Foreign investment is pouring into this country especially from China
4. Contrary to USA, Canada has a pretty relaxed immigration system there is always a constant flow of new immigrants, these people are also sponsoring their family members, therefore more people are pouring money into the country. Its a whole different story they may be doing survival jobs but they are spending money to buy clothes, food and rent.
5. We are not only paying a lot of taxes, and in almost every stage of transaction but also a high percentage of tax (depending on province) anywhere from 10% to 13% (income tax, property tax, land transfer tax, sales, tax, harmonized sales tax, tax on phone bill, food tax, service tax, alcohol tax) So the government has billions and billions of dollars that are generated every single day by Canadians and Immigrants. So to even think Canada will ever need bail out like Greece is ludicrous.
6. If you are living in Toronto, just walk outside and experience it for yourself, restaurants are bustling, exhibitions are packed, different international film festivals are being held every year, sales of new cars have increased this year, people are going on transatlantic vacations, so life is pretty good for most Canadians.
7. More American retail companies are flooding into Canada, most resent is Target retail store.

I am oblivious about the recession until I switch on the TV and watch the world news or if someone mentions it in a forum like this. Anyway that's my 2 cents, hope this helps.

square111

Star Member
Jun 19, 2009
newtone said:
......housing market is rock solid, although sales have decreased but prices are still rising, so real estate investment is pretty good. Most Canadians will skip meals but they will not skip their mortgage payments. Either ways economists say opposite to what is stated as fact, they get to keep their jobs this way. Unlike USA you won't see $500,000 houses in Toronto going for $200,000 in our lifetime.......
I could'nt agree any less on all that newtone says. However, I disagree on the "housing market" as an indicator of a booming economy. True, there is a real estate boom in Canada, but almost everybody agrees that it is a "Real Estate Baloon" which can burst anytime. I personally detest the fact that houses worth $200,000 are selling at $500,000 in Toronto. This is not a booming economy but simple real estate market inflation.

livefaisal

Mar 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am totally agree with newtone, there are lot of negative things which media spread otherwise economy is better than anyother country.

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
newtone said:
This is why I think Canada is not going through recession:

2. Some economists may say otherwise but housing market is rock solid, although sales have decreased but prices are still rising, so real estate investment is pretty good. Most Canadians will skip meals but they will not skip their mortgage payments. Either ways economists say opposite to what is stated as fact, they get to keep their jobs this way. Unlike USA you won't see $500,000 houses in Toronto going for $200,000 in our lifetime.
That statement is merely an opinion and I agree somewhat with what you say but after being on top of a housing bubble for 20 years that showed no sign of slowing, infact all it showed signs of was increasing, eventually it did burst and my how it burst. A fair rule in economics is usually what goes up must come down at some point, not saying a $500,000 home would return to $200,000 again but after witnessing not just what happened in Greece or America this happened across MOST of the developed world. Whilst Toronto maybe riding the crest of a wave at the moment, massive surges are usually the first bubbles to first because of the extreme strain.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
square111 said:
I could'nt agree any less on all that newtone says. However, I disagree on the "housing market" as an indicator of a booming economy. True, there is a real estate boom in Canada, but almost everybody agrees that it is a "Real Estate Baloon" which can burst anytime. I personally detest the fact that houses worth $200,000 are selling at $500,000 in Toronto. This is not a booming economy but simple real estate market inflation.
I disagree with newtone. The Canadian housing market will crash at some point and it's just a matter of when. I know for a fact all these unemployed or underemployed immigrants (especially Chinese) are sitting on their houses, and they'll see a day when their house prices drop like a plane running out of fuel.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
I disagree with newtone. The Canadian housing market will crash at some point and it's just a matter of when. I know for a fact all these unemployed or underemployed immigrants (especially Chinese) are sitting on their houses, and they'll see a day when their house prices drop like a plane running out of fuel.
If we go by that logic then the world will also end some day. The reality is the world hasnt ended, and neither has the Canadian housing market. I had numerous debates over the last 10 years with people about housing crashing and all this time my friends and family have brought multiple properties and have sold for profit and some are living in them waiting to pass on to next generations. One doesent have to look to far just look around you and real estate is robust here. No doubt about that

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
newtone said:
If we go by that logic then the world will also end some day. The reality is the world hasnt ended, and neither has the Canadian housing market. I had numerous debates over the last 10 years with people about housing crashing and all this time my friends and family have brought multiple properties and have sold for profit and some are living in them waiting to pass on to next generations. One doesent have to look to far just look around you and real estate is robust here. No doubt about that
It's funny you are a firm believer in the Canadian housing market while you often here decry the state of the Canadian job market. You must be one of those immigrants drunk on housing after losing all hope in finding a meaningful way to make a living. The world ended in many countries and what makes Canada safe from this wave of housing market crashes? The job market is terrible here, and there is literally no major Canadian industry. The Canadian housing boom is in 9th inning as the below article says and the game is about to end soon. It's just a matter of when:

September 20, 2013
canada-business Canada
Canada Housing Boom In '9th Inning'; Will Market Crash Or Coast?

OTTAWA - Canada's much-watched housing market is sending out mixed signals these days — even for analysts.

A spate of fresh data and yet one more market-cooling tweak from Ottawa last week has put one of the most important sectors in the Canadian economy, and the most important asset-source for most Canadians, on a kind of death watch.

That's because while some of the data, such as home prices and starts, is pointing to the soothing "soft landing" that homeowners, economists, banks and politicians are fingers-crossed hoping for, others, like land purchases and building permits suggest the real message is: the crash is coming.

Last week, Statistics Canada reported that building permits in the residential sector fell 12.9 per cent in June, and permits for multi-unit dwellings — mostly condos — sank even further by 18.8 per cent.

Even more frightening, research conducted by RealNet Canada found than in some of the bigger markets — Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary — residential land investments for future home building has already crashed through the floor, plunging 51, 52 and 30 per cent respectively.

Muddying the picture is that a new temperature reading of the housing market from the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) being released on Thursday is likely to show that home sales are doing just dandy and likely rose significantly in July, along with average home prices.

But David Madani of Capital Economics says it is the calm before the storm.

Or as he put it in a note to clients — "homebuilders are having a Wile E. Coyote moment" as when the perpetually ill-starred cartoon character realizes he has overshot the cliff and looks down to see nothing but air under his feet.

"It's astonishing to me that people are not picking up on this. If you see volumes crash and prices still rising, you shouldn't be thinking everything is fine, you should see that as a warning sign," he says.

"Here in Toronto, if you look at new home sales, we're at near-record lows. If you think about the implication this has for home building, new construction and all the jobs that go along with that, this is quite startling."

Some of that is yesterday's news.

Housing sales have recently begun trending upwards again — even in Toronto and Vancouver — after almost a year's slump brought on by Ottawa's decision to apply the brakes on mortgages last July.

Bank of Montreal chief economist Doug Porter predicts next week's report from CREA will show a 10 per cent surge in home sales from a year ago. He bases that on already reported data from big centres such as Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton, which all had boffo months, although there was a drawdown in Montreal and Ottawa.

Depending on whether you are an optimist or pessimist, this is either evidence of a soft or no landing, or a red flashing light.

The government's decision last week to put a limit on the issuing of mortgaged-backed securities is an indication that Ottawa views this development as anything but reassuring.

"Arguably this is the second last thing anyone wanted to see in the housing sector, a re-acceleration," Porter said. "That last thing people wanted to see was a hard landing."

Good news like strong home sales is potentially bad, says Porter, on the theory that Canadians are already drunk on housing, so imbibing more means the inevitable hangover will be all that much worse.

Benjamin Tal, CIBC's housing expert and deputy chief economist, wouldn't go as far as Madani in predicting a price correction of as much as 25 per cent, but he agrees the time has come for caution.

"If I was a speculator, I would not be buying," he says. "The days of flipping houses and speculating on increasing prices are clearly coming to a close. We are in the ninth inning of this boom."

It's been quite a ride. From January 2006 to June 2013, average home prices have risen from about $256,000 to almost $389,000, despite very low inflation and a little hiccup called the Great Recession. And, household debt from buying mortgages has ballooned to record levels above 160 per cent of disposable income.

The ride must end, agrees Tal, the only issue being is will it crash or simply coast.

So far, the consensus is on a slow coast, although the very real possibility of a hard crash has caused the Bank of Canada to put housing at the top of the list of domestic risks for the economy.

While housing constitutes only about seven per cent of the economy, the number underscores its impact.

Like a domino, if it topples, it triggers a chain reaction. Construction jobs are lost, household net worth diminishes, confidence drops and consumers start cutting back on other spending. On top of that, with families already highly indebted, defaults will almost certainly increase and lenders, such as banks, could find themselves taking enormous losses, dropping equity values, leading to tighter credit and slower growth. And on it goes in what economists call a re-inforcing negative feed-back loop.

"If we were indeed to have a serious setback in housing it would have pretty wide implications on the economy," says BMO's Porter.

The consensus view is s2till that the market will slowly decelerate rather than brake hard, if only because the economy continues to grow, employment is holding up and most critically with interest rates at super-low levels, borrowing is cheap.

But even Tal, who is in the soft-landing camp, acknowledges the danger. The housing market could stand to take a breather, he says.

That may be a good thing, given the exposure young people face in trying to buy even a starter home in cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

"I think the rental market will be stronger (going forward)," he predicts.

"We in Canada, especially in big cities, are fixated on buying a house the moment you graduate from university or get married. That's not the case in many other cities in the world, there young people don't think it a crime to rent for a time."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/08/11/canada-housing-boom_n_3739063.html?view=screen

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If anyone is interested in debating this issue in detail (as it relates to Toronto), there's an interesting thread that's been going on for several years now on Urban Toronto Forum.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10523-Baby-we-got-a-bubble!/page537

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ corazon3

I personally dont see anything wrong with the fact that Canadian housing market is really strong and the job market in this country is pathetic. It still is, and will continue to be until the government gets involved. And this also my point. There is a difference, housing is backed by the government while jobs arent, which is why housing is in a better state than jobs.

Which brings me to my first point, I can post 10 million articles and can prove the housing market is stable but I wont do that cause this forum is not for that kind of debate

Secondly by making childish comments like "You must be one of those immigrants drunk on housing after losing all hope in finding a meaningful way to make a living" goes to show that not only are you making stereotypical assumptions about immigrants being loosers but also insulting your forefathers because you are an immigrant yourself. Its a universal fact that Canada is an immigrant nation, even the natives immigrated from somewhere they just didnt sping up form the ground like weeds.

Thirdly, Economist and "Weather Forecasters" are the only jobs where you can get away with making mistakes and being down right liars, just blame it on "uncertainty" or uncertain times, unpredictability. Play around with a couple of words and that will make you look like a superstar. The media will have a field day with you. I could do the same thing, oh look at all these natural disasters and wars and human suffering The World Environmental boom is in the 9th inning the game is about to end soon. Its just a matter of when! Where as people are going about their daily lives. I personally think this whole Canadian housing bubble is a myth and being drummed up corporate agents in order to make money to feed their own greedy selfish lifestyles.

Lastly, population in this planet is not decreasing, 1/4 of the world is land, more people are going to fight for a bigger share of the pie. You dont need to do complex mathematical calculations to understand this basic fact. The price of land and real estate can only increase. Judging by your line of reasoning you might be thinking I am a mortgage or a real estate agent, lemme clear that doubt, I AM NOT and dont even remotely think about labeling me as that because then it would be words coming out of YOUR mouth NOT MINE. All I can say is that I have bought real estate and I am the happiest man on earth cause I made the right decision at the right time, and I will encourage people to do the same. Real estate is never a bad investment in Canada

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
scylla said:
If anyone is interested in debating this issue in detail (as it relates to Toronto), there's an interesting thread that's been going on for several years now on Urban Toronto Forum.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10523-Baby-we-got-a-bubble!/page537
scylla,

Thanks for the link. The last couple of posts there show us what's really going on and corroborate what I am or the article is saying.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
newtone said:
@ corazon3

I personally dont see anything wrong with the fact that Canadian housing market is really strong and the job market in this country is pathetic. It still is, and will continue to be until the government gets involved. And this also my point. There is a difference, housing is backed by the government while jobs arent, which is why housing is in a better state than jobs.

Which brings me to my first point, I can post 10 million articles and can prove the housing market is stable but I wont do that cause this forum is not for that kind of debate

Secondly by making childish comments like "You must be one of those immigrants drunk on housing after losing all hope in finding a meaningful way to make a living" goes to show that not only are you making stereotypical assumptions about immigrants being loosers but also insulting your forefathers because you are an immigrant yourself. Its a universal fact that Canada is an immigrant nation, even the natives immigrated from somewhere they just didnt sping up form the ground like weeds.

Thirdly, Economist and "Weather Forecasters" are the only jobs where you can get away with making mistakes and being down right liars, just blame it on "uncertainty" or uncertain times, unpredictability. Play around with a couple of words and that will make you look like a superstar. The media will have a field day with you. I could do the same thing, oh look at all these natural disasters and wars and human suffering The World Environmental boom is in the 9th inning the game is about to end soon. Its just a matter of when! Where as people are going about their daily lives. I personally think this whole Canadian housing bubble is a myth and being drummed up corporate agents in order to make money to feed their own greedy selfish lifestyles.

Lastly, population in this planet is not decreasing, 1/4 of the world is land, more people are going to fight for a bigger share of the pie. You dont need to do complex mathematical calculations to understand this basic fact. The price of land and real estate can only increase. Judging by your line of reasoning you might be thinking I am a mortgage or a real estate agent, lemme clear that doubt, I AM NOT and dont even remotely think about labeling me as that because then it would be words coming out of YOUR mouth NOT MINE. All I can say is that I have bought real estate and I am the happiest man on earth cause I made the right decision at the right time, and I will encourage people to do the same. Real estate is never a bad investment in Canada
Do I want to be a superstar? LOL. I can clearly see you're not an uneducated person, although I suspected all along. I mean you aren't educated either in the US or in the UK, but you keep whining about why I can't get a decent job in Canada, which sounds a little silly when even people like me who are educated in prestigious US grad programs can't get the same level of jobs I had in the US. You clearly don't see a bubble the rest of us including a Nobel prize winner in economics see. Some people want to see only what they want to see. Anyway, good luck with your house.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
MLS Phantom Listings Distorting House Prices: Consultant

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/20/mls-phantom-listings-house-prices_n_3957237.html?utm_hp_ref=canada

A real estate consultant's warning that housing market data in Canada is being artificially inflated has some economists and market observers wondering whether the recent upswing in house sales and prices might be partly an illusion.

Real estate consultant Ross Kay alleges that realtors in certain parts of the country — particularly in Greater Toronto and southern Ontario — are artificially inflating home sales by listing the same property twice, or sometimes even three times.

Kay says when a double- or triple-listed house like this sells, the additional listings are counted as a sale by every one of the real estate boards to which the house is assigned. That turns one sold house into two or three sales in the housing data.

The end result, Kay argues, is that reported home sales and house price numbers are higher than they really are....

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
Do I want to be a superstar? LOL. I can clearly see you're not an uneducated person, although I suspected all along. I mean you aren't educated either in the US or in the UK, but you keep whining about why I can't get a decent job in Canada, which sounds a little silly when even people like me who are educated in prestigious US grad programs can't get the same level of jobs I had in the US. You clearly don't see a bubble the rest of us including a Nobel prize winner in economics see. Some people want to see only what they want to see. Anyway, good luck with your house.
You are correct I am not educated in UK nor the US, I am educated in Canada. I dont recall when I whined about not finding a job, may be you know more about my life than I do...lol. I am simply saying jobs in Canada are very hard to come by. Much harder than most people expect, to the point its really pathetic and shameful for a country to do false advertising globally about shortage of highly skilled professionals when in fact Canadian educated professionals are working at grocery stores at minimum wage. Being Canadian, it is not only my duty but my obligation to change this kind of environment by either making it more accepting for local and possibly foreign trained professionals to find work here or completely stop this false advertising by Immigration Canada and its supporting bodies, which include NGO, immigration lawyers, Religious and social institutions, immigration agents in Canada and foreign countries.

Nobel price is obviously over rated, to take an example Muhammad Yunus received it for economic and social development but it never talks about how many peoples life it ruined due to the high interest rates. So is this really economic and social development??? or social disaster? I agree some people only want to see what they want to see and obviously you dont see what I see and if you are renting good luck with that and paying someone else's mortgage. I am a firm believer of the roof above my head and the ground below me should be owned by me not by someone else.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
While there are foreign investors for Canadian housing market, whereas in the labour market there are foreign investors such as HD Mining didn't do enough to hire Canadian workers. Therefore, I agree with newtone that there's nothing wrong with the fact that Canadian housing market is really strong and the job market in this country is pathetic.