+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you leave Canada and come back on a valid work permit?

Darya2005

Apr 16, 2009
My live-in caregiver has a Canadian work visa for 36 months. We want to take her to the USA with us ( Disney Land) and will apply for a USA tourist visa for her. Can she get back into Canada ok when we re-enter from the USA?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Darya2005 said:
My live-in caregiver has a Canadian work visa for 36 months. We want to take her to the USA with us ( Disney Land) and will apply for a USA tourist visa for her. Can she get back into Canada ok when we re-enter from the USA?
Yes, if your caregiver's TRV (stamped on the passport) is still valid, even if it is a single entry visa.

A single entry visa allows you to enter Canada only once. This visa may also be used for repeated entries into Canada from the USA or St. Pierre and Miquelon provided you do not enter another country. Such entries must occur within the time validated for your stay in Canada. For example, you may be given six months from the date you enter Canada at the port of entry.

Darya2005

Apr 16, 2009
Sorry I have another question...more of a USA immigration one......when we go to the US embassy for the interview for a tourist visa, do they issue it the same day?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to their website, no. It takes a few more days after the interview.

Darya2005 said:
Sorry I have another question...more of a USA immigration one......when we go to the US embassy for the interview for a tourist visa, do they issue it the same day?

vienrho

Jul 23, 2012
Hello,
Please I need help or reply asap before this coming Sunday. Can I travel to US with an expired canadian visa? I am caregiver and currently have a valid work permit with my employer and I am also have an open work permit..
Thanks.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
See this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/index.asp and section in red(below)

Single-entry visa

A single-entry visa allows you to enter Canada once.

When you arrive at the point of entry in Canada, an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

The officer will authorize your stay by placing a stamp in your passport and/or issuing an additional document.

If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, student or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:
•return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
•have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

Cruise ship passengers, take note

It should be noted that if you are on a cruise ship which departs from the United States and enters international waters, you will need to either obtain a multiple-entry visa or apply for a new visa to re-enter Canada. Please note that Canadian immigration and visa services are only provided by our offices in Detroit, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C. Find out where to apply.

vienrho said:
Hello,
Please I need help or reply asap before this coming Sunday. Can I travel to US with an expired canadian visa? I am caregiver and currently have a valid work permit with my employer and I am also have an open work permit..
Thanks.

vienrho

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for your very quick reply. I'm still confused of what you had post. As of this time my multiple visa was already expired last April 2011 and I just have only valid work permit with me. My question is if I am going to Buffalo this coming Sunday can I still be able back here in Canada?
Thanks.

vienrho

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks for your very quick reply. I'm still confused of what you had post. As of this time my multiple visa was already expired last April 2011 and I just have only valid work permit with me. My question is if I am going to Buffalo this coming Sunday can I still be able back here in Canada?
Thanks.

Single-entry visa

A single-entry visa allows you to enter Canada once.

When you arrive at the point of entry in Canada, an officer of the Canada Border Services Agency will make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

The officer will authorize your stay by placing a stamp in your passport and/or issuing an additional document.

If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, student or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:
•have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

Cruise ship passengers, take note

It should be noted that if you are on a cruise ship which departs from the United States and enters international waters, you will need to either obtain a multiple-entry visa or apply for a new visa to re-enter Canada. Please note that Canadian immigration and visa services are only provided by our offices in Detroit, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C. Find out where to apply.

[/quote]

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
This is the answer to your question(in red):
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

vienrho

Jul 23, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.
OKAY. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ONCE AGAIN. :)

vienrho

Jul 23, 2012
HELLO,
I STILL HAVE MORE QUESTION IF YOU DON'T MIND. IN MY WORK PERMIT HERE IN THE BOTTOM PART THERE IS A STATEMENT THAT SAYS "THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY". DO YOU THINK I CAN STILL BE ABLE TO USE THIS AND LET ME COME BACK HERE IN CANADA?
HOPE I CAN HEAR FROM YOU AND TO EVERYBODY.
THANKS.

SenoritaBella said:

sara07

May 8, 2018
I currently have a work permit issued to me and I've been asked to attend a function in California in September. I will only be in the country less than 6 months, can I leave and do I need to get anything to come back into Canada.
Thanks