+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get a birth certificate from the Canadian government?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Refugee here.

I am planing to get married next year, and I know that one of the requirements to get a Marriage Licence is: Original Birth certificate from my country of origin, which I do not have and cannot obtain because I have to submit the request in-person, THERE (no way around it)

No need to say going to my country of origin is not an option, so do you know or have heard of cases where the Canadian government will issue a birth certificate for its convention refugees?

Thank you!

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
Refugee here.

I am planing to get married next year, and I know that one of the requirements to get a Marriage Licence is: Original Birth certificate from my country of origin, which I do not have and cannot obtain because I have to submit the request in-person, THERE (no way around it)

No need to say going to my country of origin is not an option, so do you know or have heard of cases where the Canadian government will issue a birth certificate for its convention refugees?

Thank you!
Any country will only provide certificates for birth/death happening within it's boundaries and in some cases for it's citizens giving birth or dying abroad. So, answer is no.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Refugee here.

Thank you!
Canada cannot issue you a birth certificate. You should be able to get a marriage certificate without one.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Refugee here.

Thank you!
No - not possible to get a birth certificate from Canada.

As others have said, you can get married without one.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Thank you for your answers, I, however getting married elsewhere (to EU citizen) where the birth certificate is a must for issuing the mirage licence.

Some countries issue the birth certificate for refugees btw, France for example will issue a birth certificate for its recognized refugees by OFPRA "French office for the protection of refugees and stateless person". I still hope Canada would do that, so I will ask a lawyer .

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for your answers, I, however getting married elsewhere (to EU citizen) where the birth certificate is a must for issuing the mirage licence.

Some countries issue the birth certificate for refugees btw, France for example will issue a birth certificate for its recognized refugees by OFPRA "French office for the protection of refugees and stateless person". I still hope Canada would do that, so I will ask a lawyer .

You are right, France offers this document, and several European organizations equivalent to OFPRA offer this ... Canada also offered this kind of document ... Until 2015, when they unfortunately stopped this practice.

source: the last answer of this faq, from the official website of the canadian embassy in france ... in french only.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/consular_services_consulaires/Caracteristiques_actes_de_naissance_canadiens_nes_exterieur_du_Canada.aspx?lang=eng

quote ''
    • Qu’en est-il pour les citoyens canadiens qui sont réfugiés ou qui n’ont pas accès à l’acte de naissance de leur pays de naissance?
    Le Canada ne produit pas de pièce d’état civil dans ces cas précis, si cette personne est Canadienne, elle peut se faire établir un passeport et un certificat de citoyenneté canadienne et ces documents suffisent à démontrer son identité et sa qualité de citoyenne canadienne lors de différentes démarches administratives au Canada. Nos services ne sont pas en mesure de fournir un autre document pour ces personnes.

''

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
English translation

What about Canadian citizens who are refugees or who do not have access to the birth certificate of their country of birth?

Canada does not produce a civil registration document in these specific cases, if that person is Canadian, he can obtain a passport and a Canadian citizenship certificate, and these documents are sufficient to demonstrate his identity and his status as a Canadian citizen. different administrative procedures in Canada. Our services are not able to provide another document for these people.