+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can TRV refusal influence a PRV approval?

mobeyk

Oct 10, 2011
Picton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2012
Doc's Request.
additional docs 29-08-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 8 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 10 2012
My wife and I applied after our Marriage in June 2011 for a Tourist visa for her to come and meet my family and kids. We applied with the Beijing office in China and supplied a invitation letter from me, my proof of income, her bank statements, documents to show that she owns a apartment, proof of family in China. The Application was refused. I suspect because we were newly weds and because she was not employed. It did hurt a lot to get the rejection but we moved on. What i am wondering is if others have similar experience and can say if a TRV rejection can influence the PRV approval. We supplied the whole TRV application documents and the letter of refusal as we felt it would be a good thing not hide it and lay it wide open. I heard that most people decide to go through Permanent Resident applications as they cannot get a Tourist Visa for their partner.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
We were refused a TRV which we applied for after we got married. About 7 months later we applied for PR, and I have been approved with no issues regarding the denied TRV.

mobeyk

Oct 10, 2011
Picton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2012
Doc's Request.
additional docs 29-08-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 8 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 10 2012
Thanks Charlie D10. The refusal sticks in the bones. Good to know that it does not have a effect. I heard too that if we would have applied before marrisage chances would have been higher to get a Tourist Visa.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I was seriously peeved. Seeing as I hold a US visa, and have extensive travel history, I could not believe they could refuse me, but they did. At the time I recall I had a few choice words for my husband. He felt so bad about the whole thing he took me out to dinner just to apologise, LOL.

pandapenda

Sep 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011
Doc's Request.
17-02-2012
File Transfer...
07-11-2011
Interview........
None - 2 years of travel history
Passport Req..
8-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-14-2012
my understanding is no it doesn't....there have been several applicants I have seen who have applied repeatedly for a tourist visa and been refused during the sponsorship process

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
One TRV refusal if it was after the marriage and to visit the spouse, will not hurt. The more refused visas the applicant has, though, the more it does in fact hurt the application. I've seen appeals that were dismissed and one of the reasons was that the applicant had two refused visas - the visa officer felt that that meant he just wanted to come to Canada by any means possible, and the judge agreed.
But if you included proof the visa was sought to visit you, it should be fine.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
We applied for a TRV and the visa officer called up my husband. Long story short he said he would likely have to deny the application and advised us to withdraw the application because a denial would be a red flag on the sponsorship application. We emailed requesting a withdrawal and they sent everything back except the money of course. I was very grateful that officer was so understanding. He did say it wasn't a huge deal but a red flag nonetheless.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
canadiangirl78 said:
We applied for a TRV and the visa officer called up my husband. Long story short he said he would likely have to deny the application and advised us to withdraw the application because a denial would be a red flag on the sponsorship application. We emailed requesting a withdrawal and they sent everything back except the money of course. I was very grateful that officer was so understanding. He did say it wasn't a huge deal but a red flag nonetheless.
I hope you mentioned this TRV attempt in your application even it's withdrawn. This record is on their system even it's withdrawn. They would view that you had the intention. It should have made no difference in this case if it's approved or denied though. It's only normal that you would want to spend time/more time together after you got married or when you're in a committed relationship. As a couple it would be not normal if you don't want to visit or spend the time together if you could.
If you had TRV denials prior to establishing a relationship with a Canadian or permanent Canadian resident, then it would appear to be a bit different.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
AW2011 said:
I hope you mentioned this TRV attempt in your application even it's withdrawn. This record is on their system even it's withdrawn. They would view that you had the intention. It should have made no difference in this case if it's approved or denied though. It's only normal that you would want to spend time/more time together after you got married or when you're in a committed relationship. A a couple it would be not normal if you don't want to visit or spend the time together if you could.
If you had TRV denials prior to establishing a relationship with a Canadian or permanent Canadian resident, then it would appear to be a bit different.
The TRV was submitted after the sponsorship application.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Yes it's definitely normal for a married couple with a child to want to stay together. He still said a denial was a red flag though.

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
canadiangirl78 said:
The TRV was submitted after the sponsorship application.
You should be fine then.
We actually tried once after our marriage before our sponsorship application to show them how much we really wanted to be together just for a couple of weeks but got declined of course. Lady from the office told us it's their normal practice that we just have to do the sponsorship if we want to be together. I wish they would have just put that down on their TRV spousal rules.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
AW2011 said:
You should be fine then.
We actually tried once after our marriage before our sponsorship application to show them how much we really wanted to be together just for a couple of weeks but got declined of course. Lady from the office told us it's their normal practice that we just have to do the sponsorship if we want to be together. I wish they would have just put that down on their TRV spousal rules.
I agree. I thought it would be easy to get a TRV. I found this forum hours after I mailed the app. It was a waste of money and time.

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
I was refused(Although i have strong travel history) TRV applied before my marriage. i want to visit Canada and meet my friend.

After 1 years i was approved for PR as i got married.

I got PR with out any hassle but i did mention and even mentioned refusal stamp number when apply for PR.

But keep in mind when i order my CAIPS notes i have seen that CPC Ottawa highlighted to my visa office about my previous trv refusal.and visa officer simply ignores it saying that couple is in bona fide relation.

Mrslwsn

Oct 7, 2010
Toronto/Mobay
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2011
AOR Received.
neva yet
File Transfer...
25-01-2012
Med's Done....
26-10-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-03-12
VISA ISSUED...
31-03-12
LANDED..........
29-04-2012
My husband applied for a trv about a year b4 we were married, and was refused. We mentioned it in our app, and it was of no issue. there was no point hiding it, they have all that stuff in the system, and it seems to me it might even help, because it shows that the couple has at least tried another route to be together. In our case the trv didnt even mention me, his grandparents sent notarized letters and bank statements etc etc.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
My fiance (from Dominican Republic) applied for a TRV in Oct 2010 and was granted it. I lived in DR with him. We're trying for another TRV in May (multiple entry this time) and hoping he'll be granted this one as well. I'm a little nervous though because we're getting married in July and then I'm moving back to Canada mid August (which is why we want the TRV so he can come visit me, and I him, while we're waiting out for the PR). We're going to submit the same things we did before. The invitation letter will be slightly different, obviously. I don't want to come right out in the application papers or in the letter of support/invitation to shout to the embassy that I will no longer be living in DR, because I think that was a big reason of why he got the visa (also because of my parent's support/invitation letter). I'm very nervous that he will be denied this visa, although he should get it because he proved before that he returned back to DR (and that's their main concern).
Do u think it's worth a shot? Since he got the TRV before and came back, if this one is a denial, should it really look that bad on the PR application? I hope to God he gets it because if he can come for visits in Canada, and I for visits to DR it will make the wait a little more bearable.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

tink