+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can time spent in restoration status be count towards physical presence?

Lled

Jan 7, 2019
Hi All,

First of all Thank you to all in advance for helping me understand how the process works.

I am in a dilemma, during my PR application, I was in an implied status then in restoration status for more than 90 days. I know for a fact that time spent in Implied status can be counted towards physical presence (yay!). I want to know if the time spent in restoration of status can be counted as well.

Can anyone help me with this.

Note: Right after the decision was made on my implied status, I was given 90 days to restore my status, and i applied for visitors on 80th day and it took them additional 20+ days to approve visitor visa, so in total I am looking at 110+ days in restoration status.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
This is one of the grey areas , why can’t you just wait a bit longer so you won’t need that credit? The potential delay from this could be much longer than just waiting a little

Reactions: Milamilaca

kk2018

Oct 24, 2018
This is one of the grey areas , why can’t you just wait a bit longer so you won’t need that credit? The potential delay from this could be much longer than just waiting a little
I agree with itsmvid'' better to wait rather then getting the process delayed

Lled

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks so much, makes sense.

I also called CIC, the agent on the call said It won't be counted towards physical presence in Canada.

For Future reference:

Days spent in Implied status ---> counted.
Days spent in Restoration Status ---> Cannot be counted.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Thanks so much, makes sense.

I also called CIC, the agent on the call said It won't be counted towards physical presence in Canada.

For Future reference:

Days spent in Implied status ---> counted.
Days spent in Restoration Status ---> Cannot be counted.
Yes, i was in same situation and agent said the same thing
I asked him if this restoration period will be a problem in my application, he said no it won’t be a problem and said it is one of the process they encourge people to use instead of staying illeagal here
So i applied for citizenship after that in dec 2018
I was wooried too

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My application was returned even though I was here under implied status. You need to submit a lot of paper work that prove you were here during your implied status.
Unfortunately I couldn’t find much supporting documentations for myself as an MP was involved to find my lost PR application in the immigration office somwhere. If you do apply counting your implied status make sure you submit landlord letters, job letters or/and bank statements perhaps ? That show you were physically here. Otherwise they will return it. I just waited an extra week and re applied without counting the implied status period.
The above observations are an important contribution and offer a suggestion well-taken.

Proof can be a factor and when it is about the difference in meeting the requirements versus not meeting the requirements, proof can make all the difference.

Even if the application makes it past the completeness-check phase, if the days with implied status are necessary to meet the minimum presence requirement, the elevated risk of non-routine processing is generally worth avoiding if possible . . . and while it is no guarantee, waiting and having enough days without counting days with implied status will likely reduce the risk of non-routine processing considerably.

Many times applying LATER can result in actually taking the oath SOONER. Those who rush do so at their peril.

Reactions: EstherBarros

Whistler2019

Apr 6, 2019
Hi All,

First of all Thank you to all in advance for helping me understand how the process works.

I am in a dilemma, during my PR application, I was in an implied status then in restoration status for more than 90 days. I know for a fact that time spent in Implied status can be counted towards physical presence (yay!). I want to know if the time spent in restoration of status can be counted as well.

Can anyone help me with this.

Note: Right after the decision was made on my implied status, I was given 90 days to restore my status, and i applied for visitors on 80th day and it took them additional 20+ days to approve visitor visa, so in total I am looking at 110+ days in restoration status.

Hi Lled, any info regarding your case? I was in implied status for about 4 months and then my application got refused so I had to restore my status, so I'm more or less in the same boat. Not sure if I can count those months in my Physical Presence Calculator or not.
Thanks

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Hey
I was in same situation, same things happened to me
You can count time for implied status but not the time when you were waiting for restoration
I got my Aor and fingerprint request till now

Whistler2019

Apr 6, 2019
Hey
I was in same situation, same things happened to me
You can count time for implied status but not the time when you were waiting for restoration
I got my Aor and fingerprint request till now
That is good to know, kind of a relieve actually. I understand that restoration time doesn't count but I was told that the Implied Status only counts if the extension application got accepted which it wasn't my case. Thanks for sharing that info and good luck with the process.

Whistler2019

Apr 6, 2019
While I counted the implied status period and got rejected. So I’m guessing it depends on what agent you get.
Oh nooo!!!! Were you in implied status because you were extending a work permit and got denied? Why was your application rejected exactly? Hopefully you could apply after without any issues.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
That is good to know, kind of a relieve actually. I understand that restoration time doesn't count but I was told that the Implied Status only counts if the extension application got accepted which it wasn't my case. Thanks for sharing that info and good luck with the process.
My application was also refuesd, i called CIC and they told me implied status you can count and waiting period for restoration you can’t and agent also said restoration of status is the process CIC encourage instead staying illegal so i won’t have any problem cause of that for my citizenship application

Lled

Jan 7, 2019
Even mine was refused. Refusal or approval does not determine if you were or were not in implied status.

Implied status is an option given by IRCC for people to get their WP status restored, the result of which doesn't determine if were or not in implied status.

Status on my citizenship is I haven't applied yet, its better to wait and be stress free than to apply early and bite your nails.

sainiprabhjot

Feb 5, 2024
Hello everyone.

I need some advice on calculating days before applying for citizenship. So, I was on PG work permit which got expired and I filled a extension application which got refused on 25th October 2019 at that time I lost my status and given a 90 days restoration period under which I applied for a visitor record in January 2020 which then took 8 months to get approved and meanwhile I got an invitation under express entry and submitted my file in April 2020. So, I had my visitor record approved in August 2020 while express entry file was in progress.
So my question here is while applying for citizenship can i count citizenship days after 25th Oct 2019 (the days I entered restoration period) if not should I start counting after I submitted my visitor record application or should it be the days I got the visitor record approved.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone.

I need some advice on calculating days before applying for citizenship. So, I was on PG work permit which got expired and I filled a extension application which got refused on 25th October 2019 at that time I lost my status and given a 90 days restoration period under which I applied for a visitor record in January 2020 which then took 8 months to get approved and meanwhile I got an invitation under express entry and submitted my file in April 2020. So, I had my visitor record approved in August 2020 while express entry file was in progress.
So my question here is while applying for citizenship can i count citizenship days after 25th Oct 2019 (the days I entered restoration period) if not should I start counting after I submitted my visitor record application or should it be the days I got the visitor record approved.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
You can only count from the time the visitor record was approved. You were out of status while waiting for restoration. So you cannot include the 8 months in the calculation.

Reactions: sainiprabhjot