+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can the current economic situation (oil) in Canada affect LMIA applications

stanone

Star Member
Oct 1, 2010
Hi guys, I have an employer in North East BC province who I have been communicating with for close to a year now., He was supposed to apply for my LMIA last month but he said the current economic situation and the drop of oil prices would mostly like make my LMIA application fail. I would like to know what you guys think about this , have any of you had your LMIA applied for or approved within these past few months ? I would really appreciate some response. Thanks in advance.

PW87

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Baroda, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nope, Oil has no impact on LMIA's. Only unemployment rates for the province matters.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PW87 said:
Nope, Oil has no impact on LMIA's. Only unemployment rates for the province matters.
I disagree. It certainly has in impact since oil prices are linked to unemployment rates. Lower oil prices results in fewer jobs in the oil industry which means that more Canadians are looking for jobs which makes it more difficult to convince CIC that a foreign worker needs to be hired.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PW87 said:
Of course it does. For the reasons Scylla mentions.

scylla said:
I disagree. It certainly has in impact since oil prices are linked to unemployment rates. Lower oil prices results in fewer jobs in the oil industry which means that more Canadians are looking for jobs which makes it more difficult to convince CIC that a foreign worker needs to be hired.
To the OP: what job/industry are we talking about?

amelia1727

Mar 10, 2012
stanone said:
Hi guys, I have an employer in North East BC province who I have been communicating with for close to a year now., He was supposed to apply for my LMIA last month but he said the current economic situation and the drop of oil prices would mostly like make my LMIA application fail. I would like to know what you guys think about this , have any of you had your LMIA applied for or approved within these past few months ? I would really appreciate some response. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it will totally affect the LMIA Application. Please be reminded that due to oil price decreases everything is going to disaster in Canada right now, I work in the oilfield and the setback for this was there are lots of Canadians that are looking for work. As a result, government and employers has to let go of their foreign workers so that local people can enter the workforce. There are lots of employers right now having that difficulty.

Also, check the unemployment rate for the region. If its higher the rate the slimmer chance of getting approved/positive LMIA.

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
I would say yes and no. Yes because of reasons others stated, and no because even despite lay-offs in oil fields, those workers probably won't be willing to take jobs as, for instance, cashiers, or are not qualified for some others. I would say it depends about NOC.

Sunshinegirl_X

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/07/2015
I would say Yes and no depending on skill level of LMIA requested.

From what I have read if unemployment for the area your applying for goes up to a certain level then all LMIA for low skilled jobs will be stopped. LMIA for skilled work will be judged and given in the usual way.

For instance a worker gets laid off in the oil fields, yes if he chooses he can go and get a job in food service or retail but he couldn't get a job as a chef, hairstylist truck driver etc unless he had previous experience in these jobs so they will still need TFW to replace the skills needed.

Sunshinegirl_X

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/07/2015
I found it this is what is written on ESDC with the new changes 30th April LMIA

Update to Unemployment Rates by Economic Region
As of April 30, 2015, the TFWP will also begin using the latest Labour Force Survey results (2014) for the unemployment rates. These rates determine which regions are eligible to submit LMIAs for low-wage/lower skilled occupations in the Accommodation and Food Services sector and the Retail Trade sector. The Department will not process any LMIA applications for these sectors, in economic regions where the unemployment rate is 6% or higher.

Given its unique labour market conditions, and as requested by the Government of the Northwest Territories, the TFWP will now accept applications in these sectors for positions located in Yellowknife.