+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can PA visit Canada in between PPR and COPR?

simewhit

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone, my PA got PPR today!! Now I have some questions, which hopefully someone can answer for me. :)

I am sponsoring my husband, who is a US outland applicant. He has been visiting me in Canada for about a month, and this weekend we had plans to fly to the US for his sister's wedding. We had booked tickets so that we would both return directly to Canada afterwards, since it didn't look like PPR was coming very soon. However in the PPR letter, there is this line: "If you are currently residing in Canada and you intend to travel by air to another country prior to becoming a permanent resident, you will be required to apply and obtain an eTA prior to boarding."

Does this mean if we go to the wedding, my husband would have to stay in the US until he can officially land as a permanent resident in Canada? Or does the eTA thing not apply to him, since he isn't residing in Canada - he is only visiting me, and would be entering again as a visitor?

Another question: will it be a problem if we have the COPR mailed to my address in Canada? I am my husband's representative, but my address is not listed anywhere as one of his addresses.

I would really appreciate advice.

simewhit

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone have any advice? I'm planning to call IRCC tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone had experience with this previously.

roverbon

Star Member
Jul 25, 2017
Hey everyone, my PA got PPR today!! Now I have some questions, which hopefully someone can answer for me. :)

I am sponsoring my husband, who is a US outland applicant. He has been visiting me in Canada for about a month, and this weekend we had plans to fly to the US for his sister's wedding. We had booked tickets so that we would both return directly to Canada afterwards, since it didn't look like PPR was coming very soon. However in the PPR letter, there is this line: "If you are currently residing in Canada and you intend to travel by air to another country prior to becoming a permanent resident, you will be required to apply and obtain an eTA prior to boarding."

Does this mean if we go to the wedding, my husband would have to stay in the US until he can officially land as a permanent resident in Canada? Or does the eTA thing not apply to him, since he isn't residing in Canada - he is only visiting me, and would be entering again as a visitor?

Another question: will it be a problem if we have the COPR mailed to my address in Canada? I am my husband's representative, but my address is not listed anywhere as one of his addresses.

dont think you need a ETA as stated http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-result.asp?country=US&result=3

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Americans are eTA-exempt. He can return to Canada as normal before landing as a PR.

Did your husband not update his address when he came to Canada?

simewhit

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Americans are eTA-exempt. He can return to Canada as normal before landing as a PR.

Did your husband not update his address when he came to Canada?
We tried several times updating through the webform, which is the only way since he's being processed in Mississauga. They never changed his address - it's still wrong on the PPR letter. Hopefully it won't cause a problem now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We tried several times updating through the webform, which is the only way since he's being processed in Mississauga. They never changed his address - it's still wrong on the PPR letter. Hopefully it won't cause a problem now.
It can take time. You could send a letter about the address with his passport copy.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
My address is wrong on ECAS but was good on my PPR. At any rate since you do send a new address it does not matter since you get PPR by email. I can't see why he would have any issue at the border after going through the most stringent process to get to the PPR stage.

simewhit

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My address is wrong on ECAS but was good on my PPR. At any rate since you do send a new address it does not matter since you get PPR by email. I can't see why he would have any issue at the border after going through the most stringent process to get to the PPR stage.

True, but you never know with IRCC! I'm glad your address was fine, though - that's encouraging.

simewhit

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you, everyone who commented! We called IRCC this morning, and the agent confirmed that since my husband is a US citizen and he will be entering as a visitor, he will not have any problem. Until he has COPR in his hands, he is free to enter as a visitor, according to the agent.

Also, there will be no problem using my address on the Annex A form.

Just thought I would share that information in case anyone needs it in the future. :)

Reactions: bafonso