+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my husband work online while in Canada?

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2013
AOR Received.
23-11-2013
File Transfer...
03-12-2013
Med's Done....
02-07-2013
Passport Req..
12-03-2014
My husband is currently in Canada with me right now, and we are applying for outland PR. His job is an ESL Teacher online for a company in Taiwan. When filling out the forms of his employment, is it ok that he is actually working here in Canada while we are waiting out the process? Even though he's not working for a Canadian company.

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe that since he has a job that is online, he is able to work anywhere in the world. He should only be concerned of his legal status in Canada as a visitor. If he can only stay for 6 months or so in Canada, than he should apply for an visitor extension, so that he can legally stay longer in the country until his PR is done. Keep in mind that he still may receive mail in Taiwan to meet up for an interview with the CIC, regarding his PR, if needed. So yeah those are the 2 things he'd have to worry about: how long can he stay in Canada, and how will he get his mail.

He still has to have strong ties in his home country, but that shouldn't be too hard to prove. The fact that he has a job, and is able to continually provide for himself while visiting you in Canada, without having to rely on limited savings, is the ideal visitor. As far as im concerned he shouldn't have a problem staying with you and also working online, as yal wait this out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As long as he has no Canadian clients - he can work online. If he has any Canadian clients - he'll require a work permit.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
091212 said:
My husband is currently in Canada with me right now, and we are applying for outland PR. His job is an ESL Teacher online for a company in Taiwan. When filling out the forms of his employment, is it ok that he is actually working here in Canada while we are waiting out the process? Even though he's not working for a Canadian company.
Since he isn't competing in a significant way with Canadian citizens and permanent residents, this is fine.

You can find more details on this in CIC operational manual FW1.

realjoy328

Jun 25, 2015
HTH

What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
  • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

• volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the board of a charity or religious institution; being a 'big brother' or 'big sister' to a child; being on the telephone line at a rape crisis centre (normally this activity would be part time and incidental to the main reason that a person is in Canada);
  • unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage;
  • long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
  • self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim;
  • short-term educational exchanges by high school students through international arrangements, such as the Regional Joint Cooperation Commission between Atlantic Canada and the archipelago of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon.
There may be other types of unpaid short-term work where the work is really incidental to the main reason that a person is visiting Canada and is not a competitive activity, even though non-monetary valuable consideration is received. For instance, if a tourist wishes to stay on a family farm and work part time just for room and board for a short period (i.e., one to four weeks), this person would not be considered a worker. Work on a farm that is expected to extend beyond four weeks would require a work permit.

Source:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa