+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit after living here for a year?

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've lived in Canada with a visitor's visa for a year and am going to live back in the states, but can I visit Canada a month or two after I move out of Canada? Thanks

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
American citizens are allowed to be in Canada for 6 months out of a year. So technically you can't just come back after a month, the officers might think you are living in Canada.

Having said that, I don't think their too strict with U.S citizens, often they don't stamp their passport and just waive them through.

acer925

Star Member
Jan 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hmm..I don't get why I wouldn't be able to visit as soon as I could show that I had a job and stuff. Is it that your not supposed to enter canada at all after you've stayed longer than 6 months?

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
acer925 said:
hmm..I don't get why I wouldn't be able to visit as soon as I could show that I had a job and stuff. Is it that your not supposed to enter canada at all after you've stayed longer than 6 months?
Well the general rule is 6 months in one year. That is the rule per books.

But like I said for U.S citizens their pretty flexible, they know their more than likely to go back to the U.S, only people who have issues is those who have some sort of criminal record, look shady etc..

I've crossed into Canada a few times with my sister(an American citizen) at Niagara Falls, and a few times they never even asked to see our passport, its been a pretty chill experience (going the other way is more strict!).

I think you'll probably be fine.

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
You would not have had a Visitor's VISA. (Maybe a Visitors Record)

Did you have permission to stay past 6 Months? If you did and you left before your status expired, then you are in compliance. You would just have to prove that you are a visitor again.

Lara83

Jan 6, 2012
I have the same situation but I'm a UK citizen been on holiday with my soon to be Canadian husband we get married in May

I'm due to return to Canada for my wedding and that's the thing I'm worried about as I've been to canada three times in under a year and and all three visits would add up over 6 months 1st trip stayed 2 months and left second trip three months and third trip over two months

I have always left on time - would the border officer not let me past I'm so worried as all the wedding is set and has cost over $30,000 to book all wedding venues and all wedding costs.

I'm so worried this would mean we wouldn't get married and all the money lost what we have paid we would be devastated

On arriving I will tell the border officer I'm due to get married in May as a UK citizen I don't need a Visa as we get a 6 Month tourist visa does that visa allow me in to get married?

I'm really upset that I shouldn't have visited so many times but I love my boyfriend and I just miss him hence all the 3 visits - do you think they will be ok with me coming in if they ask how many months I've stayed in canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately no one here can guess or guarantee what will happen at the border since this decision is entirely up to the immigration officer you encounter. As a UK citizen, you should be OK. However there's no guarantee. As a UK resident you should be granted a visit of six months by default. However the immigration officer can also allow you in for only a shorter period of time (i.e. not the full six months) or deny you entry completely.

My recommendations would be as follows:
1) Don't lie. If you are asked a question, answer it truthfully.
2) Don't provide too much information. Only answer the questions you have been asked and keep it brief unless asked for more details.
3) Behave like a visitor. You are only allowed to visit until you become a PR. This means you should behave like a visitor at the border. Don't pack like you're moving here and don't talk like you're moving here (i.e. don't say you're coming to live in Canada). Show proof that you are only coming for a visit and evenaully plan to leave (i.e. have a return flight, bring any documentation that shows ties to the UK such as rental agreements, property ownerships, bank accounts, employment or schooling proof, etc.).
4) Pay all of your PR application feels now ($1040) even though you are not ready to submit your application. Have the receipt with you as proof that your husband plans to sponsor you to come to Canada once you are married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add...

I just read through your older posts. It sounds like you plan to return to Canada soon - and then fly back to the UK just before your wedding to pick up your mother and fly with her back to Canada. I think this second trip could be a bit risky. I would make arrangements for someone else to fly with your mother if she can't fly alone. Just my two cents...

My husband (American) and I married in Canada. I remember when he was crossing the border about a month and a half before our wedding and how nervous I was. So I completely understand where you're coming from.

Lara83

Jan 6, 2012
thanks for the reply.

My boyfriend wants to start the PR once we get married as do I - I have a return ticket and will now ask someone from the family to bring my mum over.

after the wedding once we start PR

do I just apply to extend my visitor Visa as we would have started PR application - I guess then I should stay in Canada till my PR is approved? and not risk leaving the country

is that right