+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use my vacation hours in the gap where I should stop working before applying for PGWP?

rutubarvaliya

Nov 15, 2023
Hi there,

I get the know that I can't work in the period, as soon as I get my final grades and before apply for PGWP work permit. I am currently working for a company where this scenario could happen since I am bound to contract.

so my basic question is that - Can I use my paid vacation hours as soon as I get my final grades and before applying for PGWP and start working normally as soon as submit application for my PGWP application?

Thank you for your any advise in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I get the know that I can't work in the period, as soon as I get my final grades and before apply for PGWP work permit. I am currently working for a company where this scenario could happen since I am bound to contract.

so my basic question is that - Can I use my paid vacation hours as soon as I get my final grades and before applying for PGWP and start working normally as soon as submit application for my PGWP application?

Technically no since you're being paid as a full time staff member.

rutubarvaliya

Nov 15, 2023
Technically no since you're being paid as a full time staff member.
I called IRCC and agent told me that I can have paid vacation between gap and she said that she'll be sending me an email which is going to have a link where I can find that information but I looked through that and could not find anything in there regarding paid vacation hours.

This what she have sent me,

Working while waiting for the post graduate work permit

You may be allowed to work full-time in Canada if you are waiting for a decision on your post graduate work permit (PGWP) application and you:

• Had a valid study permit when you submitted your application,
  • Completed your program of study, and
  • Were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to.
If these conditions don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job. It’s illegal to work in Canada without authorization.

If these conditions apply to you and you need to show a potential employer that you’re allowed to work, you can do so by providing them a copy of all of the following documents:

• Proof that you completed your program(s) of study, such as:
    • the official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program, or
    • an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website,
  • A copy of your study permit:
    • to be allowed to work right away, your permit should say: “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w); must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”,
  • A copy of the acknowledgement of receipt from your PGWP application, if you applied online:
    • to be allowed to work right away, the acknowledgement of receipt must have been received before your study permit expired.
You can use these documents to work only until a decision is made on your PGWP application.

If your application for a PGWP is rejected or refused, you need to stop working the day we notify you of the rejection or refusal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I called IRCC and agent told me that I can have paid vacation between gap and she said that she'll be sending me an email which is going to have a link where I can find that information but I looked through that and could not find anything in there regarding paid vacation hours.

This what she have sent me,

Working while waiting for the post graduate work permit

You may be allowed to work full-time in Canada if you are waiting for a decision on your post graduate work permit (PGWP) application and you:

• Had a valid study permit when you submitted your application,
  • Completed your program of study, and
  • Were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying and you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to.
If these conditions don’t apply to you, you must wait until your work permit arrives to begin your new job. It’s illegal to work in Canada without authorization.

If these conditions apply to you and you need to show a potential employer that you’re allowed to work, you can do so by providing them a copy of all of the following documents:

• Proof that you completed your program(s) of study, such as:
    • the official letter from your school that confirms you’ve completed your study program, or
    • an official transcript or a copy of your transcript from your school’s website,
  • A copy of your study permit:
    • to be allowed to work right away, your permit should say: “May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w); must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria”,
  • A copy of the acknowledgement of receipt from your PGWP application, if you applied online:
    • to be allowed to work right away, the acknowledgement of receipt must have been received before your study permit expired.
You can use these documents to work only until a decision is made on your PGWP application.

If your application for a PGWP is rejected or refused, you need to stop working the day we notify you of the rejection or refusal.
Agreed. Nothing in the above says you can take a paid vacation before you apply for a PGWP. All this link does is address the ability to work once the PGWP has been submitted.

FYI - the IRCC help desk unfortunately has a reputation for being fairly useless and giving wrong answers.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

rutubarvaliya

Nov 15, 2023
Agreed. Nothing in the above says you can take a paid vacation before you apply for a PGWP. All this link does is address the ability to work once the PGWP has been submitted.

FYI - the IRCC help desk unfortunately has a reputation for being fairly useless and giving wrong answers.
Thanks for replying. I would like to just clarify one more thing like in the link here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus it says that:
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)
  • They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period.
If I am seeing my final grades in my student portal, does it mean that I'd have to order my graduation letter or my official transcript. Once I received one of the document then I should stop working until I apply for my work permit. Am I getting it right?

niharikapal

Jan 4, 2024
Hi there,

Hey
i am thining the same
what did you do? DID U TAKE PAID VOCATIONS ?

rutubarvaliya

Nov 15, 2023
Yes, I was working 20 hours per week and I was not working hourly so didn't had to worry about hours as it does not mention hours anywhere.