+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I take my belongings with me? (motorcycle)

rescuer

Jan 17, 2012
Hello again :D

My family was granted an entrepreneurship immigration visa and we did the landing two years ago.
I have been away from Canada eversince and am planning to move back to Canada in a few months and live there.
when going back to Canada:
*Can I take my belongings with me?
*Is there a list that allow/limit me of the things that I can take with me?
*Can I take my SUZUKI HAYABUSA 1300cc motorcycle with me?

any information on this topic would be much appreciated it.

thank you :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you may want to contact www.riv.ca to see if you can bring the motorcycle.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Yes, definitely check out (and then double check!) about your bike. My dad was told by the shipping company he was fine to bring his over, but when he double checked he found out he couldn't - well, he could but he wouldn't be able to ride them!!!

iggypick

Feb 25, 2012
Hi there

I brought my 1994 Yamaha xtz 750 Supertenere with me from Europe (Netherlands) 2010.

*because the bike was older than 15 years it was considered RIV exempt (does not neet to be inspected)
*because this was my first vehicle i brought inot Canada it was also exempt from import duty's
*anyone moving to Canada is allowed to bring one vehicle into the country free from duty's or inspection
*exceptions would be commercial vehicles or vehicles that would be in your possesion les than 6 months
*normally other than US spec vehicles European vehicles will not meet Canadian safety standards
*make sure if the bike/vehicle is shipped from overseas it is clean so it will pass agriculture Canada
*one exception i do know of is a Dutch Citizen who moved to Canada in 2004 and brought his Harley with him and had to ship it back because of some treaty between Harley Davidson and North America which does not allow Euro Spec Harley's to be imported into North America.

I have been working and living in Canada since 2004, but absent and living in The Netherlands from 2008 til 2010, and had no difficulties bringing my bike in.