+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still work after my IEC permit expires and I have another visa in process?

Jul 19, 2023
I entered Canada last year on the International experience canada (IEC) visa, the border agent told me that I would be able to stay after my visa expires if I have another visa in process before then. I'm applying for a sponsorship under common-law with my partner, but I am unsure if I would have to quit my job or if I could continue working even after my IEC visa expires, while my sponsorship visa is processing , OR if I would have to apply for a new work visa while the sponsorship visa is being applied.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I entered Canada last year on the International experience canada (IEC) visa, the border agent told me that I would be able to stay after my visa expires if I have another visa in process before then. I'm applying for a sponsorship under common-law with my partner, but I am unsure if I would have to quit my job or if I could continue working even after my IEC visa expires, while my sponsorship visa is processing , OR if I would have to apply for a new work visa while the sponsorship visa is being applied.
The spousal sponsorship application alone isn't enough to allow you to keep working. You would need to submit the application for spousal sponsorship, get AOR which takes a few months and then submit an open work permit application before the IEC expires. Then you can continue working.