+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my parents right after a spousal sponsorship?

Aloaleja

May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 10,2017
AOR Received.
January 20, 2017
File Transfer...
January 26, 2017
Med's Request
up-front
Med's Done....
October 18, 2016
Hello,

I don't know if anybody has done or would know the answer, but I am still in the process of sponsoring my husband so he can come to Canada, but now my mom also wants to come to live here and she has asked me if i can help her. I really want to help her, but can i Try to send the parent sponsorship application right after finishing with my husband app (obviously hoping to be approved).

I hope I explained myself.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can sponsor your mother. However parent sponsorship is based on a lottery system. So you would need to enter the lottery in January and hope you are selected. Additionally, you'll need to make sure you enter the income requirements for the size of your family including your mother (and father if he is still alive).

Reactions: Roshan and Aloaleja

Aloaleja

May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 10,2017
AOR Received.
January 20, 2017
File Transfer...
January 26, 2017
Med's Request
up-front
Med's Done....
October 18, 2016
You can sponsor your mother. However parent sponsorship is based on a lottery system. So you would need to enter the lottery in January and hope you are selected. Additionally, you'll need to make sure you enter the income requirements for the size of your family including your mother (and father if he is still alive).
Thank you for replying. I don't know if i met the income requirements yet, last i check I needed another year but now is different as I am married and still waiting for my husband pr to be proved, at least i don't have to wait lots of years.
My father is still alive but they are separated for a long time and i am not planing (ever) to sponsor my father, do I still have to count him on the family size?

Thanks again...

Roshan

Star Member
May 5, 2013
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2017
AOR Received.
23-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017

Could you pls suggest the link on CIC/relevant website to get the info on income requirements and minimum duration after receiving PR to file sponsorship application for a parent?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you for replying. I don't know if i met the income requirements yet, last i check I needed another year but now is different as I am married and still waiting for my husband pr to be proved, at least i don't have to wait lots of years.
A co-signer for parents app must be at least a PR at the time app is submitted (not just have PR app in progress).

Note that for both sponsor and co-signer, all income used to qualify for LICO in 3 previous years must have been earned while living in Canada. So someone who has just arrived in Canada as a PR, can't use income earned in their home country.

My father is still alive but they are separated for a long time and i am not planing (ever) to sponsor my father, do I still have to count him on the family size? .
This may lead to complications. If you can prove that they are separated (with sworn affidavits, proof of living separately for X years, showing process has been started to initiate divorce process, etc) and that your mom confirms she will never be able to sponsor him in the future, then IRCC may allow your father to be excluded completely from the application. This would mean your father would not need to do medical, nor included in family size.

But really whether IRCC accepts this and allows him to be dropped from family size, is entirely up to them. To be safe I would try to make sure you met income including him, if that's possible.

Aloaleja

May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 10,2017
AOR Received.
January 20, 2017
File Transfer...
January 26, 2017
Med's Request
up-front
Med's Done....
October 18, 2016
A co-signer for parents app must be at least a PR at the time app is submitted (not just have PR app in progress).

Note that for both sponsor and co-signer, all income used to qualify for LICO in 3 previous years must have been earned while living in Canada. So someone who has just arrived in Canada as a PR, can't use income earned in their home country.

This may lead to complications. If you can prove that they are separated (with sworn affidavits, proof of living separately for X years, showing process has been started to initiate divorce process, etc) and that your mom confirms she will never be able to sponsor him in the future, then IRCC may allow your father to be excluded completely from the application. This would mean your father would not need to do medical, nor included in family size.

But really whether IRCC accepts this and allows him to be dropped from family size, is entirely up to them. To be safe I would try to make sure you met income including him, if that's possible.
Hello Rob_To,

thank you for answering my question. I am planing to sponsor my mom after my husband receives his PR (hopefully he gets it) and about the income requirement do i need a co-signer or is this optional? I have 0 communication with my father and I wish to leave it as it is, even if i meet the income requirement for both of them, I would never notify him or ask him to go through a medical examination because we literally have 0 relationship. We can prove my mom has lived separate for a long time, and my father has even married someone else, he told my mother that he got a divorce many years ago but I doubt it since in Mexico you were able to divorce only if both parties agreed and since my mom never signed anything I don't believed they are really divorce, now the law has changed in Mex and you can proceed with the divorce even if the other part does not want to. So I guess I have to ask my mom to verify that they are divorce if not, then it would be better if she gets the divorce, will that help to exclude my father from the parent sponsorship?

Thanks again for replying...