+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my brother?

mago2536

Aug 20, 2017
Hi,

Having consulted all relevant pages on IRCC Website, I can still not conclude from the Website information whether or not I am eligible to sponsor my one and only brother to immigrate to Canada.

Currently a Canadian citizen and Quebec resident, I meet legal and financial requirements set by both the Quebec and Federal governments including Option 2 (other relatives) cited under “Who you can sponsor” of the IRCC Web page (www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp).

I have no biological/adopted child, spouse/common-law partner, or any other relative that I can sponsor. My parents and grandparents are deceased and my brother, aged 35 married no child, is my only living relative, and I wish him to come and join with me here in Canada.

I’d appreciate if anyone could please clarify/comment if he is eligible for the sponsorship program so that I can begin the application process.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are single with no children, both parents are deceased and you have no family members in Canada - then yes, you can sponsor your brother.

mago2536

Aug 20, 2017
Thank you scylla, I truly appreciate your reply.

I assume that it differs from case to case, but any idea how long does the process usually take?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thank you scylla, I truly appreciate your reply.

I assume that it differs from case to case, but any idea how long does the process usually take?
1. Just to be clear, your parents are deceased, you are single have not children. If you have an Aunt/Uncle/Brother/Sister/Niece/Nephew in Canada then you can't sponsor.

Reactions: mago2536

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello there,

Have you sponsored your brother yet? I would like to sponsor my brother too! My husband is Canadian, is it ok?
If you have a husband, then you cannot sponsor your brother.

As scylla had replied earlier:
If you are single with no children, both parents are deceased and you have no family members in Canada - then yes, you can sponsor your brother.

Reactions: scylla and KBH

mago2536

Aug 20, 2017
Hello there,

Have you sponsored your brother yet? I would like to sponsor my brother too! My husband is Canadian, is it ok?
Yes. The process is complete and they arrive in Canada next week.

As others have mentioned, you can sponsor "other relatives" only if:

1. You don't have any parents/grandparents/children to sponsor.
2. You don't have any aunt/uncle/niece/nephew in Canada.
3. You are single.

So I'm afraid you're not eligible.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. The process is complete and they are arriving in Canada next week.

As others have mentioned, you can sponsor "other relatives" only if:

1. You don't have any parents/grandparents/children to sponsor.
2. You don't have any aunt/uncle/niece/nephew in Canada.
3. You are single.

So I'm afraid you're not eligible.
They? Shouldn't it be he?