+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit my job?

woodchild

Sep 8, 2017
Hi All,

My question to someone who might have been or are in the same situation or you have the expertise in this area - Can I quit my job while waiting for my federal decision? (ie. I will be actively looking for the same type of position but want to leave my current employer due to various reasons)

Here is the background info:
  • My NOC code is 1112
  • Applied under the strategic recruitment stream under Alberta PNP program (so no employer restriction)
  • Got my Alberta provincial nominee letter June 2016
  • Summited application to federal end of Aug 2016
  • Got the file number and a request to re-fill a document and pay the right of residence fee around December 2016
  • Submitted all requested documents and paid the fee by late Jan 2017
  • Been waiting since, have not received medical request and no update msgs
  • My current Open Bridge Working Permit is going to expire end of Jan 2018
I currently live and work in Alberta. After some research, I'm also considering applying under Express Entry to possibly expedite the process. Has anyone in similar situations done so and what was your timeline? Also, I'm wondering the option of applying to extend my Open Bridge Work Permit which will likely be approved within a month time and then quit my current job so to give me more time to look for another job? are there any rules against me doing this(ie. if I quit now, i wont be eligible to receive PR under the PNP application?)

Thank you and good luck to All!

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi All,

My question to someone who might have been or are in the same situation or you have the expertise in this area - Can I quit my job while waiting for my federal decision? (ie. I will be actively looking for the same type of position but want to leave my current employer due to various reasons)

Here is the background info:
  • My NOC code is 1112
  • Applied under the strategic recruitment stream under Alberta PNP program (so no employer restriction)
  • Got my Alberta provincial nominee letter June 2016
  • Summited application to federal end of Aug 2016
  • Got the file number and a request to re-fill a document and pay the right of residence fee around December 2016
  • Submitted all requested documents and paid the fee by late Jan 2017
  • Been waiting since, have not received medical request and no update msgs
  • My current Open Bridge Working Permit is going to expire end of Jan 2018
I currently live and work in Alberta. After some research, I'm also considering applying under Express Entry to possibly expedite the process. Has anyone in similar situations done so and what was your timeline? Also, I'm wondering the option of applying to extend my Open Bridge Work Permit which will likely be approved within a month time and then quit my current job so to give me more time to look for another job? are there any rules against me doing this(ie. if I quit now, i wont be eligible to receive PR under the PNP application?)

Thank you and good luck to All!
As I remember, under SRS, you can quit your job. You are always eligible to apply for BOWP, even you don't have a job because you are under SRS stream (not EDS stream).
Yes, you can have 2 PR application at the same time: 1 paper, 1 electronic. If you apply for EE, you may or may not get your PR faster. I assume that you applied on Aug/2016, so 16 months after that should be around January 2018.
And for EE, I assume that you can apply it in October 2017, then your PR should be around March 2018.
=> I think your paper are still faster than EE because you choose EE a little bit late. However, we don't know because sometimes Paper PR can be even longer than 16 months (I see some ppl got PPR like 19-20 months...if you think you are in this case, go for EE).

p.s: To help you better, here is my timeline. I am also AINP and EE applicant.

AINP – EDS Stream (Employer Driven Stream)

5/2/2016: Applied AINP - EDS stream
22/3/2016: AINP File Number
30/1/2017: AINP Confirmation
31/1/2017: AINP Nomination
26/3/2017: Applied Paper-based PR
12/4/2017: Withdraw Paper-based PR
Express Entry – CEC Stream
19/4/2017: Acknowledgement of Receipt (AoR) received
5/5/2017: Medical Passed and IP1 Stage
29/6/2017: Documents status changed to “Not need additional documents”
6/7/2017: NA2 Stage
2/8/2017: IP2 Stage
18/8/2017: PPR received
21/8/2017: Passport Sent
8/9/2017: Visa+COPR issued. Case closed.

Last edited:

woodchild

Sep 8, 2017
As I remember, under SRS, you can quit your job. You are always eligible to apply for BOWP, even you don't have a job because you are under SRS stream (not EDS stream).
Yes, you can have 2 PR application at the same time: 1 paper, 1 electronic. If you apply for EE, you may or may not get your PR faster. I assume that you applied on Aug/2016, so 16 months after that should be around January 2018.
And for EE, I assume that you can apply it in October 2017, then your PR should be around March 2018.
=> I think your paper are still faster than EE because you choose EE a little bit late. However, we don't know because sometimes Paper PR can be even longer than 16 months (I see some ppl got PPR like 19-20 months...if you think you are in this case, go for EE).

p.s: To help you better, here is my timeline. I am also AINP and EE applicant.

AINP – EDS Stream (Employer Driven Stream)

5/2/2016: Applied AINP - EDS stream
22/3/2016: AINP File Number
30/1/2017: AINP Confirmation
31/1/2017: AINP Nomination
26/3/2017: Applied Paper-based PR
12/4/2017: Withdraw Paper-based PR
Express Entry – CEC Stream
19/4/2017: Acknowledgement of Receipt (AoR) received
5/5/2017: Medical Passed and IP1 Stage
29/6/2017: Documents status changed to “Not need additional documents”
6/7/2017: NA2 Stage
2/8/2017: IP2 Stage
18/8/2017: PPR received
21/8/2017: Passport Sent
8/9/2017: Visa+COPR issued. Case closed.
Thanks romrumrira for the detailed answers. Really appreciate it.

Looking at your timeline, I cant help thinking in my head - WTF, govn't of canada? really makes me questioning why the fuck is canada still attractive to me for building a life here with this kind of piece of shit government...(sorry for the language folks)

And for the purpose of my post - quitting the job before getting the decision - I've seen a few places on this forum mentioning the same as your account however I really need to see the source to back this up. Would you be able to tell me where you've seen the official document mentioning/regarding this (ie. in their application booklets/on govn't website/etc?)

Also, for extending my work permit, my current one is going to expire in Jan 2018. So if I don't get the PR by then and had already quit my job, would I still be able to get the bridge work permit extension? I do remember submitting my job offer contract when I applied last December (2016). Is the work proof/job offer not a requirement anymore?

I can not quit before I make sure this is bullet proof...Thanks again cheers!

Last edited:

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC

Looking at your timeline, I cant help thinking in my head - WTF, govn't of canada? really makes me questioning why the fuck is canada still attractive to me for building a life here with this kind of piece of shit government...(sorry for the language folks)

And for the purpose of my post - quitting the job before getting the decision - I've seen a few places on this forum mentioning the same as your account however I really need to see the source to back this up. Would you be able to tell me where you've seen the official document mentioning/regarding this (ie. in their application booklets/on govn't website/etc?) I can not quit before I make sure this is bullet proof...Thanks again cheers!
You're welcome and the info is on their page :)

Strategic Recruitment Stream
Under this stream you may be able to apply to the AINP without needing an employer to support your application.

There are three categories in this stream:

1. Compulsory and Optional Trades Category
    For candidates who have a valid trade certificate in a Compulsory or Optional Trade in Alberta issued or recognized by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT). Learn more about the Compulsory and Optional Trades Category criteria.

2. Engineering Occupations Category
    For candidates who have credentials as an engineer, designer or drafter and Alberta work experience in an eligible Engineering Occupation. Learn more about the Engineering Occupations Category criteria.

3. Post-Graduate Worker Category
    For candidates who have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, are currently working in Alberta in an eligible occupation, and have a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit from IRCC.Learn more about the Post-Graduate Worker Category criteria.

or...you can compare the requirement of EDS and SRS to see it too :)

EDS:
Provide a permanent, full-time job offer to the candidate that:
SRS:
Be working full-time in Alberta, at the time of application, for an Alberta employer.Be working full-time in Alberta, at the time of application, for an Alberta employer.

Fyi, CIC never cares about what is on the website. All they care about is your nomination certificate. As long as the restriction is "blank/no", they just let it go.

Last edited:

AABH

Sep 8, 2013

Also, for extending my work permit, my current one is going to expire in Jan 2018. So if I don't get the PR by then and had already quit my job, would I still be able to get the bridge work permit extension? I do remember submitting my job offer contract when I applied last December (2016). Is the work proof/job offer not a requirement anymore?

I can not quit before I make sure this is bullet proof...Thanks again cheers!
What I know you can get BOWP if you have AOR + nomination ( NO employment restrictions ) , no need job offer
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/permit/extend/permanent.asp

Is your prov. stream ( Worker - without a job offer ) in your AINP nomination paper ?

Last edited:

woodchild

Sep 8, 2017
On their page :)

Strategic Recruitment Stream
Under this stream you may be able to apply to the AINP without needing an employer to support your application.

There are three categories in this stream:

1. Compulsory and Optional Trades Category
    For candidates who have a valid trade certificate in a Compulsory or Optional Trade in Alberta issued or recognized by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT). Learn more about the Compulsory and Optional Trades Category criteria.

2. Engineering Occupations Category
    For candidates who have credentials as an engineer, designer or drafter and Alberta work experience in an eligible Engineering Occupation. Learn more about the Engineering Occupations Category criteria.

3. Post-Graduate Worker Category
    For candidates who have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution in Alberta, are currently working in Alberta in an eligible occupation, and have a valid Post-Graduation Work Permit from IRCC.Learn more about the Post-Graduate Worker Category criteria.

or...you can compare the requirement of EDS and SRS to see it too :)

EDS:
Provide a permanent, full-time job offer to the candidate that:
SRS:
Be working full-time in Alberta, at the time of application, for an Alberta employer.Be working full-time in Alberta, at the time of application, for an Alberta employer.
Really appreciate your enthusiasm for helping others.

So this makes great sense, however correct me if I'm wrong but this is only for the provincial nomination stage? I'm currently at the federal stage and I'm guesstimating that I will be getting the medical request by end of this month.

I see the SRS category 3, which is what I am, specifying "are currently working in Alberta n an eligible occupation, and have...". This still only applies to when I was going through the provincial nominee stage, no? As far as the provincial stage is concerned, my nomination letter had actually already expired this past February...any comments on this?

Thanks as always.

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Really appreciate your enthusiasm for helping others.

So this makes great sense, however correct me if I'm wrong but this is only for the provincial nomination stage? I'm currently at the federal stage and I'm guesstimating that I will be getting the medical request by end of this month.

I see the SRS category 3, which is what I am, specifying "are currently working in Alberta n an eligible occupation, and have...". This still only applies to when I was going through the provincial nominee stage, no? As far as the provincial stage is concerned, my nomination letter had actually already expired this past February...any comments on this?

Thanks as always.
If you are in federal stage already, your nomination can be expired. That's normal. Don't worry about that.
Under SRS category 3, you can do anything after your nomination.

woodchild

Sep 8, 2017
Guys, a few questions on the BOWP application document checklist:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5556E.pdf

• At the bottom of the first page, it mentions LMIA which I believe does not apply to my NOC node (1112)? However the bottom item mentions a Offer of Employment number? any comments on this please?
  • on page 2, under the provincial nominee section, item number 4 states I need a letter of support from the provincial nominee program which I remember requesting and obtaining for my first BOWP application, but now my nomination has expired do I still need this? I see also the note underneath states: If you submitted an application for permanent residence provide proof that your application has been received or approved in principle. I assume this means the AOR email is sufficient and also I don't need to provide the support letter?
Thanks guys.

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC

• At the bottom of the first page, it mentions LMIA which I believe does not apply to my NOC node (1112)? However the bottom item mentions a Offer of Employment number? any comments on this please?
  • on page 2, under the provincial nominee section, item number 4 states I need a letter of support from the provincial nominee program which I remember requesting and obtaining for my first BOWP application, but now my nomination has expired do I still need this? I see also the note underneath states: If you submitted an application for permanent residence provide proof that your application has been received or approved in principle. I assume this means the AOR email is sufficient?
Thanks guys.
Yes, you still have to contact AINP again to let them issue a new one so you can apply for BOWP.
For offer of employment, you don't need to supply any of these.

Here is the link: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-bowp-without-a-job-offer.183938/
You should leave it blank for anything related to employer.

AABH

Sep 8, 2013

• on page 2, under the provincial nominee section, item number 4 states I need a letter of support from the provincial nominee program which I remember requesting and obtaining for my first BOWP application, but now my nomination has expired do I still need this? I see also the note underneath states: If you submitted an application for permanent residence provide proof that your application has been received or approved in principle. I assume this means the AOR email is sufficient and also I don't need to provide the support letter?
Thanks guys.
* you just write N/A in any thing related to the employer like you did when you applied for PGWP

* you can use your expired nomination paper + copy of AOR . You just need these two documents nothing more for BOWP .

woodchild

Sep 8, 2017
Yes, you still have to contact AINP again to let them issue a new one so you can apply for BOWP.
For offer of employment, you don't need to supply any of these.

Here is the link: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-bowp-without-a-job-offer.183938/
You should leave it blank for anything related to employer.
* you just write N/A in any thing related to the employer like you did when you applied for PGWP

* you can use your expired nomination paper + copy of AOR . You just need these two documents nothing more for BOWP .
Thanks guys.
Based on my understanding of the document checklist. I think without a new support letter from the AINP makes more sense? Because otherwise, if I request a new support letter from AINP they will ask for my employment contract which I remember doing for the first BOWP?

AABH

Sep 8, 2013
Thanks guys.
Based on my understanding of the document checklist. I think without a new support letter from the AINP makes more sense? Because otherwise, if I request a new support letter from AINP they will ask for my employment contract which I remember doing for the first BOWP?
You don't need support letter from AINP bc you got AOR from IRCC.

Need support letter from PNP if you don't have AOR

Good luck :)