+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I prove PR status to CBSA with just printed eCOPR?

bearc420

Jun 24, 2021
Hi guys, I recently got PR status while I was in Canada but the PR card did not arrive for months and I had to make an urgent travel out of Canada. I am due to return to Canada soon, but there is no time for me to apply for the PRTD and get approved during the time that I am overseas (I am not even in my home country). I have checked with the airline and they said that I would be allowed to board because I have a visa-exempt passport and they still see that I have a valid eTA in their system for some reason, I know this is not advised but I am going to board the flight back to Canada anyway.

When I reach the border, is it sufficient for me just to show a printed eCOPR to the CBSA officer to prove that I am a PR? I am sure I will get some scolding from them but I don't mind it as long as I can enter the country. Has anyone done this before?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys, I recently got PR status while I was in Canada but the PR card did not arrive for months and I had to make an urgent travel out of Canada. I am due to return to Canada soon, but there is no time for me to apply for the PRTD and get approved during the time that I am overseas (I am not even in my home country). I have checked with the airline and they said that I would be allowed to board because I have a visa-exempt passport and they still see that I have a valid eTA in their system for some reason, I know this is not advised but I am going to board the flight back to Canada anyway.

When I reach the border, is it sufficient for me just to show a printed eCOPR to the CBSA officer to prove that I am a PR? I am sure I will get some scolding from them but I don't mind it as long as I can enter the country. Has anyone done this before?
Yes. Although a valid PR Card is the best evidence of PR status, all that CBSA officers need is some sort of proof that you:
a. Have `landed' to become a PR
b. Are in fact a PR and the PR status has not been revoked or renounced.

Regarding the airline that you spoke with, AFAIK only a U.S. passport holder is exempt from the requirement of providing a valid PR card to travel commercially.
I strongly suggest you get something in writing from the airline BEFORE you get to the airport to confirm what you were told, or discovered!!!!!!

What passport do you hold and which airline are you using?

Lastly, because you cannot present yourself to CBSA as a visitor to Canada (because you're NOT a visitor any longer), I suggest that you bypass the airport PIK (Kiosk) and just walk up the the Primary Inspection officer to explain this. You cannot use your forign passport at the PIK anyway (because you're not a visitor), but if you end up getting a printed recipt (somehow) it would certainly alert the person that you would hand it to (just as you're hoping to exit the baggage claim area) that you need to go to Secondary Inspection to explain.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: bearc420

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

CBSA will let you into Canada if you can reach Canada.

Make sure you have a Plan B as it relates to the flight. The eTA may be canceled in the system at any time. So just be prepared for the possibility the airline may deny you boarding without a PRTD or valid PR card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. Although a valid PR Card is the best evidence of PR status, all that CBSA officers need is some sort of proof that you:
a. Have `landed' to become a PR
b. Are in fact a PR and the PR status has not been revoked or renounced.

Regarding the airline that you spoke with, AFAIK only a U.S. passport holder is exempt from the requirement of providing a valid PR card to travel commercially.
I strongly suggest you get something in writing from the airline BEFORE you get to the airport to confirm what you were told, or discovered!!!!!!

What passport do you hold and which airline are you using?

Lastly, because you cannot present yourself to CBSA as a visitor to Canada (because you're NOT a visitor any longer), I suggest that you bypass the airport PIK (Kiosk) and just walk up the the Primary Inspection officer to explain this. You cannot use your forign passport at the PIK anyway (because you're not a visitor), but if you end up getting a printed recipt (somehow) it would certainly alert the person that you would hand it to (just as you're hoping to exit the baggage claim area) that you need to go to Secondary Inspection to explain.

Good luck!
Having something in writing from the airline won't help in any way. All that matters is what the system shows at the time of boarding (i.e. whether the eTA is still showing as valid or not). That's what will determine if the OP is allowed to board the plane and fly to Canada on the eTA. eTA could be canceled at any time so this is of course a bit of a dice roll. But it's possible it could work.

Reactions: bearc420 and Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is a catch 22, of sorts, because contacting IRCC to find out if the eTA is still valid would seem a better option than dealing with the airline. However, contacting IRCC could open up a Pandora's Box.

bearc420

Jun 24, 2021
Hi all, thanks for your responses. I have a Singapore passport and am flying on an Air Canada flight directly into Toronto. I am also planning to check with the airline staff directly a few days before my flight, just to double confirm that my eTA is still valid in their system. For some reason, when I try to check my eTA online it just doesn’t show up (it doesn’t say it’s cancelled or anything, just no record found).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all, thanks for your responses. I have a Singapore passport and am flying on an Air Canada flight directly into Toronto. I am also planning to check with the airline staff directly a few days before my flight, just to double confirm that my eTA is still valid in their system. For some reason, when I try to check my eTA online it just doesn’t show up (it doesn’t say it’s cancelled or anything, just no record found).
Probably because you no longer qualify for the ETA.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not a good sign, IMHO. How soon are you traveling?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In two weeks.
I gotta say that this may not end well, considering you don't have any guarantee that your eTA is still valid and, more importantly if it will be valid on your day of travel. Have you considered flying to the U.S. and entering Canada at a land PoE as suggested previously?

What is your backup plan if your are unable to get a PRTD in time (the strike can only delay things more than they already are and you only have 2 weeks) and end up stranded at the outbound airport?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder how the strike will impact things like urgent PRTD requests...besides the obvious answer.
The morning news ran a story about the PSAC strike intensifying; "...picket lines will be moved to more `strategic' locations...", which says to me that talks are not bearing any fruit.

johnghaly

Aug 7, 2023
@bearc420 Hi, I have the same situation now, I got my eCOPR, and I have to travel outside Canada for 3 weeks, and my work visa still valid. May I know what happened with you when you come back to Canada?
appreciate your advice

SarahPart

Star Member
Jul 4, 2023
@bearc420 Hi, I have the same situation now, I got my eCOPR, and I have to travel outside Canada for 3 weeks, and my work visa still valid. May I know what happened with you when you come back to Canada?
appreciate your advice
Hello, same situation here.
How did you end up travelling? Did you apply for the PRTD ? If so, how long was the processing time ?

Thank you,
Sarah