+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I move to Canada with approved sponsorship while waiting for PR?

Mar 31, 2016
Hello all,

A bit of background... I'm a US citizen, and my spouse is Canadian. We applied for both outland sponsorship and PR a few months back, and got notification that our eligibility for sponsorship has been approved. We found out that the application has now been sent to the US visa office for PR approval, but that will take 15 months.

My question is... do I have to wait for the PR application to be approved to move there? Primarily, I'm wondering if there's a way to access healthcare and/or get a work visa while there now that the sponsorship has been approved.

Thanks!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you have to wait until your PR visa has been approved to move to Canada (including being able to work and benefiting from the health care system). For now - all you can do is visit temporarily.

Are you saying that your file has been sent to one of the local US visa offices rather than Ottawa?

Mar 31, 2016
Thank you for your speedy response!

We got an email from someone at CIC saying the following,

On June 1, 2016 you passed the first stage of the application process, and your eligibility to sponsor your spouse was confirmed.
The processing time from the date the application is submitted to the date the first stage of the application process (eligibility stage) is 55 days.
The application been sent to the visa office in the US for the remaining steps of the processing of this application.
The estimated processing time from the date the application is submitted to the end of the entire process is 15 months for an out-of-Canada application.

She also mentioned that I can use a dual intent visa to visit? Is that required?

johnybegood

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Na
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Na
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 18,2016
Doc's Request.
aor 1 may 11
Nomination.....
Sponsor approval 03/jun/16
AOR Received.
in process on 09 june 2016
IELTS Request
sent along with apln
File Transfer...
started processing june 13
Med's Request
Up front done in January 2016
Med's Done....
Background check 26 sept 2016
Interview........
Dm 29 sept 2016
Passport Req..
1st oct 2016
VISA ISSUED...
3 oct 2016
LANDED..........
16 oct 2016
themanoftheland8 said:
Thank you for your speedy response!

We got an email from someone at CIC saying the following,

On June 1, 2016 you passed the first stage of the application process, and your eligibility to sponsor your spouse was confirmed.
The processing time from the date the application is submitted to the date the first stage of the application process (eligibility stage) is 55 days.
The application been sent to the visa office in the US for the remaining steps of the processing of this application.
The estimated processing time from the date the application is submitted to the end of the entire process is 15 months for an out-of-Canada application.

She also mentioned that I can use a dual intent visa to visit? Is that required?
You dont need a visa to visit canada
You can come to canada for a visit for any long
Ur intent should not be living permanently
Ty

Mar 31, 2016
johnybegood said:
You dont need a visa to visit canada
You can come to canada for a visit for any long
Ur intent should not be living permanently
Ty
Ok. I also saw that I could apply for OHIP once application for permanent residency gets applied for? (There's threads on here, the site won't allow me to post a link to it)

How would that be different than my situation? And/or is there a specific way I need to cross the border in order to qualify for this in order to change residence status?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
themanoftheland8 said:
Ok. I also saw that I could apply for OHIP once application for permanent residency gets applied for? (There's threads on here, the site won't allow me to post a link to it)

How would that be different than my situation? And/or is there a specific way I need to cross the border in order to qualify for this in order to change residence status?
My wife and I spoke to MoHLTC / Service Ontario about access to OHIP. If you apply inland, and take the OWP, there are two paths you can take to have access to OHIP:
- Work for 90 days on the OWP, with a letter from your employer claiming to employ you for at least another 6 months. They also told us it must be on company letterhead and signed with black ink (they will not accept blue); or
- Wait for the AIP letter from CIC. They photocopied this from their training manual and gave this example letter to us, so that we would know which letter to watch for.

There are other cases when you could get access to OHIP, but those are the ones they told us about when we went in to talk to them.

For outland, I believe you need to wait until you have an official landing. Then you can apply. But that does not mean you have it right away -- you have to wait a waiting period (they told us it was 90 days from the date of application)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
profiler said:
My wife and I spoke to MoHLTC / Service Ontario about access to OHIP. If you apply inland, and take the OWP, there are two paths you can take to have access to OHIP:
- Work for 90 days on the OWP, with a letter from your employer claiming to employ you for at least another 6 months. They also told us it must be on company letterhead and signed with black ink (they will not accept blue); or
- Wait for the AIP letter from CIC. They photocopied this from their training manual and gave this example letter to us, so that we would know which letter to watch for.

There are other cases when you could get access to OHIP, but those are the ones they told us about when we went in to talk to them.
Unfortunately, as an outland application has been filed, these options are not available.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
zardoz said:
Unfortunately, as an outland application has been filed, these options are not available.
I edited my original post. You are correct -- I believe it's the Record of Landing that is required.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
themanoftheland8 said:

Since you applied outland, you won't qualify for OHIP until after you have officially become a PR. You will need to purchase insurance to cover yourself for emergencies while you wait. You will have to pay for non-emergency care out of pocket.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder why the OP's application was sent to the U.S. Visa office, rather than Ottawa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ponga said:
I wonder why the OP's application was sent to the U.S. Visa office, rather than Ottawa?
Yes - I was wondering the same thing. Typically that's not a great sign.