+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go back to my own country during the 3 yrs sponsorship period?

ccsunset1

Mar 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2014
If I got approved to come to Canada under the spouse sponsorship, can I go back to my own country to visit my parents or in case of emergency during the 3 years sponsorship period?

If I can, should I use the passport from my own country to re-enter Canada then??

maplegal86

Dec 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Request
07-06-2013
Med's Done....
16-05-2012. Remed: 10-06-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2013
LANDED..........
01-09-2013
ccsunset1 said:
If I got approved to come to Canada under the spouse sponsorship, can I go back to my own country to visit my parents or in case of emergency during the 3 years sponsorship period?

If I can, should I use the passport from my own country to re-enter Canada then??
When you get a PR, you get a stamp on your passport saying you are a resident. It's similar to a visa from a country. This one allows you to live in Canada for as long as you wish and enjoy other privileges.

Once you land in Canada as a PR, you can freely travel as and when you wish. However, you must spend 2 out of 5 years in Canada to retain your PR (corrected from 3/5 as I previously mentioned. Thanks other forum members for pointing out the error!)

Until you become a Canadian citizen, you will hold whatever country's passport you currently hold.

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
ccsunset1 said:

Also under the new rules you must 'live together' with your spouse 2 years or your PR will be revoked, however if your spouse is with you out of the country this will also count towards your two years. You will only ever have your own passport from your own country, once you get PR Canada will not give you a Canadian Passport. You will only be allowed a Canadian Passport should you apply for citizenship and I believe you can only apply for this after 3 years of living in Canada.

elmo11

Jan 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
File Transfer...
18-12-2012
Med's Done....
29-08-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt!
maplegal86 said:
When you get a PR, you get a stamp on your passport saying you are a resident. It's similar to a visa from a country. This one allows you to live in Canada for as long as you wish and enjoy other privileges.

Once you land in Canada as a PR, you can freely travel as and when you wish. However, you must spend 3 out of 5 years in Canada to retain your PR.

Until you become a Canadian citizen, you will hold whatever country's passport you currently hold.
Just want to say that it's 2/5, not 3/5. Pretty generous!

elmo11 ^^

warzon

Mar 2, 2013
Hi! I have a question regarding this matter because I'm already booked to visit my country in May. I'm sponsoring my husband. Suppose he gets his visa this month. Can he travel out of the country with me even he has just landed in less than a month? And supposed he still won't receive his PR card? Thanks!

Kuudir2

Star Member
Jan 7, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 15/2013
AOR Received.
February 28/2013
File Transfer...
March 21/2013
Med's Done....
August 5/2012
Interview........
None requested
VISA ISSUED...
March 30/2014
LANDED..........
May 15/2015 (AAAAH)
warzon said:
Hi! I have a question regarding this matter because I'm already booked to visit my country in May. I'm sponsoring my husband. Suppose he gets his visa this month. Can he travel out of the country with me even he has just landed in less than a month? And supposed he still won't receive his PR card? Thanks!
I was also wondering the same thing for my husband!

If he arrives to Canada, will he be able to travel within that month also?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When someone lands here, their PR card is mailed to the address he or she provides to the immigration officer at the port of entry. At present it is taking approximately 33 calender days for new residents for their card to be mailed to them.

Note that, you can leave the day after landing. In that case, you have to get travel documents prior to traveling back to Canada. Of course if somehow you are mailed the PR card (may be risky ), then it would be like you had it with you.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
I'm pretty sure it's better to wait until they get their PR card. Whenever I come back to Canada after crossing the boarder, officers don't even ask for my passport but PR card.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maplegal86 said:
However, you must spend 3 out of 5 years in Canada to retain your PR.
You need to reside only 2 out of 5 years in Canada, to reapply for PR card.

maplegal86

Dec 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Request
07-06-2013
Med's Done....
16-05-2012. Remed: 10-06-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2013
LANDED..........
01-09-2013
Kuudir2 said:
I was also wondering the same thing for my husband!

If he arrives to Canada, will he be able to travel within that month also?
warzon said:
My husband had a similar issue. He landed in Canada and had to go back to India for some work 2 weeks later. The PR card was mailed to a family friend in Canada and that family friend brought it to India.

So to answer your qn, yes you can leave, but you will need the PR card to enter Canada again, so find a way to get it to you.

warzon

Mar 2, 2013
maplegal86 said:
My husband had a similar issue. He landed in Canada and had to go back to India for some work 2 weeks later. The PR card was mailed to a family friend in Canada and that family friend brought it to India.

So to answer your qn, yes you can leave, but you will need the PR card to enter Canada again, so find a way to get it to you.
thank you so much for the info.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
warzon said:
It depends.

If he is from visa-exempt country, then you should be able to travel no problem without PR card. Just travel on the visa-exempt passport, and when you get back to Canada show the passport and COPR.

If you need a visa for Canada, then you would need to arrange for a special travel document obtained from Canadian visa office in country you are visiting. Or somehow get your actual PR card.

ccsunset1

Mar 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2014
scottishmaple said:
Also under the new rules you must 'live together' with your spouse 2 years or your PR will be revoked, however if your spouse is with you out of the country this will also count towards your two years. You will only ever have your own passport from your own country, once you get PR Canada will not give you a Canadian Passport. You will only be allowed a Canadian Passport should you apply for citizenship and I believe you can only apply for this after 3 years of living in Canada.
Thank you for the replies.

One point I want to clarify, for the 2 years period "live together", must that be continuously? What if I have to leave Canada to get back to home country visiting my parents in case of emergency within the 2 years period but my spouse will not be able to come with me? What can I do??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ccsunset1 said:
One point I want to clarify, for the 2 years period "live together", must that be continuously? What if I have to leave Canada to get back to home country visiting my parents in case of emergency within the 2 years period but my spouse will not be able to come with me? What can I do??
It should be fine. Temporary absences are acceptable as long as the goal is to get back with your partner as soon as possible.

CIC is looking more for actual breakups here. They will not be investigating living history with every single PR after the 2-year mark... only the cases that have been reported to them where a sponsor and PR have actually permanently separated. Don't worry about simply visiting family once in a while without your sponsor.

See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob480.asp
While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations and so on. Any periods of separation must be temporary and short