+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get pgwp for part time Masters?

Sameen Raian

Jan 9, 2024
Hello,
I am on spousal open work permit which will expire in Oct 2024(same as my spouse’s PGWP).I am currently doing a full time job. If I get admitted in a part time master’s program of more than a year with a new study permit for myself, will I get PGWP and be able to extend our stay in Canada? Can i also work full time while studying part time?
Really need help with thi as we don’t have enough crs score to qualify for pr. Thank you so much.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I am on spousal open work permit which will expire in Oct 2024(same as my spouse’s PGWP).I am currently doing a full time job. If I get admitted in a part time master’s program of more than a year with a new study permit for myself, will I get PGWP and be able to extend our stay in Canada? Can i also work full time while studying part time?
Really need help with thi as we don’t have enough crs score to qualify for pr. Thank you so much.
If you apply for a study and get approved, you need to be full time to get PGWP. You can work 20 hours a week. What will your husband do because he is not eligible for a a SOWP if you are a student since he is the principle foreign national (PFN).

Sameen Raian

Jan 9, 2024
If you apply for a study and get approved, you need to be full time to get PGWP. You can work 20 hours a week. What will your husband do because he is not eligible for a a SOWP if you are a student since he is the principle foreign national (PFN).
Thank you for your reply. I am confused about one thing. If I can extend my stay with a new study permit, can’t my husband get a new sowp as well?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I am confused about one thing. If I can extend my stay with a new study permit, can’t my husband get a new sowp as well?
IRCC has changed the rule. They are trying to avoid couples trying to extend their stay by alternating to study and work.
So the first person who applied for study permit is considered as the principle foreign national (PFN) and they will not approve study permit from the spouse and let the PFN switch to SOWP.

As replied, you will not get PGWP (even if your study permit is approved if you study part time)

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No, he is not eligible. To continue working, he needs a LMIA with a closed work permit.

IRCC changed the rules a few years ago, so your husband is not eligible for SOWP as he is considered the Principal Foreign National (PFN). This refers to the person/foreign national who first applied for temporary status in Canada – in this case, the student.

This loophole previously allowed spouses and common-law partners to “flip-flop” between who was the principal status holder (the student or the worker), and then become the spousal open work permit holder themselves as their own spouse either went to school. This was done in order to continue remaining in Canada as a temporary resident and gaining eligible work experience for a PR application, and is no longer be possible.

Reactions: YVR123

Sameen Raian

Jan 9, 2024
No, he is not eligible. To continue working, he needs a LMIA with a closed work permit.

IRCC changed the rules a few years ago, so your husband is not eligible for SOWP as he is considered the Principal Foreign National (PFN). This refers to the person/foreign national who first applied for temporary status in Canada – in this case, the student.

This loophole previously allowed spouses and common-law partners to “flip-flop” between who was the principal status holder (the student or the worker), and then become the spousal open work permit holder themselves as their own spouse either went to school. This was done in order to continue remaining in Canada as a temporary resident and gaining eligible work experience for a PR application, and is no longer be possible.
Oh no! This was a very helpful information though. Thank you so much.

Sameen Raian

Jan 9, 2024
He can stay as a visitor too while you study. Rules for study permits have changed too so read the new rules for proof of funds.
Well, another question… what of my husband applies for a new study permit while he still has his PGWP? Can I then get a new sowp and extend our stay?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well, another question… what of my husband applies for a new study permit while he still has his PGWP? Can I then get a new sowp and extend our stay?
He doesn’t need a study permit right now but can study up until time of the expiry of his PGPW.

For a new study permit, you can try. He needs to pay first year tuition and show $26k in cash in your bank accounts. He must show that the program is expanding on his education and gives him better career opportunities (higher pay) in home country to justify costs.