+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my PGWP extended, got 1 year instead of 3! HELP!

Aug 31, 2021
Hey,
No, they don’t send any email when they send your file for reconsideration. The next thing you’ll receive is your updated work permit.
Hi
Today I got my work permit with One-year validity instead of three years. I did two post-graduation diploma programs but still I got one year work permit. How should I approach them? Any leads would be appreciated

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi
Today I got my work permit with One-year validity instead of three years. I did two post-graduation diploma programs but still I got one year work permit. How should I approach them? Any leads would be appreciated
Did you include both diplomas with transcripts? Program taken back to back? Length of program? Ask for reconsideration.

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
Hi,
I don't know about this guy but I did. I was approved for 1 year pgwp which later got approved for 3 years.
Thank you for relaxing my mind. How did you get three work permit? Would you pleas let me know? Did you re apply with deep explanation? Or you filled up web form and got enquiry from CIC ? Please let me know. I have just filled web form now and I am trying to contact them

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
Di
Hi, Congrats on receiving the approval for 3 years. I am also planning to apply for reconsideration. Can you please let me know the duration given on your completion letter from university. Does it say "program duration is 12 to 24 months" or "program duration is 16 to 24 months". Can you please confirm this. Thanks.
Did you get your 3 work permit later ? I am in the same situation

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Di

Did you get your 3 work permit later ? I am in the same situation
You can always call IRCC and explain the problem, the officer will look into it. Worst case they'll say to re-apply.
Did your classmates get 3 years PGWP?

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
I am in the same situation. I did a Master of Engineering program in 4 semesters -16 months, no breaks. That's a 2 year equivalent course. I got PGWP 1 year instead of 3 years. Called CIC, they put a reconsideration request and I got a correspondence mail saying the request is sent to the office.
I did two one year program. I called ircc agent. He told me there is an error in expiration date of work permit. He also was confused about my second course because my second course was fast track. He notes that my second course was one year. He sent an email to the main office. They give final decision and update my work permit. He also told me that there is no need for reconsideration and reapply since I had attached all docs in my first application. But I am eagerly waiting for my new work permit

Samirpanara86

Sep 11, 2020
You can always call IRCC and explain the problem, the officer will look into it. Worst case they'll say to re-apply.
Did your classmates get 3 years PGWP?
I called them. They told me there was an error in my expiration date of work permit. They also told me no need to reapply and for reconsideration. He just mailed to the main office suggesting that my second course was one year because my second graduation letter reflect 3 year study duration. But actually my course was fast track one year. Told them it. Ircc agent noted it. They will update my work permit expiration date in couple weeks. Waiting for their reply

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I called them. They told me there was an error in my expiration date of work permit. They also told me no need to reapply and for reconsideration. He just mailed to the main office suggesting that my second course was one year because my second graduation letter reflect 3 year study duration. But actually my course was fast track one year. Told them it. Ircc agent noted it. They will update my work permit expiration date in couple weeks. Waiting for their reply
Hope for the best, keep us updated.

sameer111

Mar 11, 2023
Hello everyone,

Please help me, I have few doubts regarding my current work permit status. I studied 2 post-graduate programs of 1 year each in Seneca college and graduated in may 2019. On CIC website they have mentioned that if we study for 2-3 years, we are eligible for 3 years work permit. However, when I applied for my work permit, I forgot to attached 1 of the 2 graduation letter and submitted my application, and received work permit for only 1 year in sept 2019. I then applied through an agent in Jan 2020, but CIC refused to extend the additional two years stating that I applied for PGWP after 180 days. Hence, the current work permit which I have is expiring in sept 2020.
What should I do in this situation? Should I challenge their decision and apply for deferral asap, asking to grant me fresh permit of three years, or should I wait till september and then apply for work permit extension with a job letter? Also, should I approach any immigration lawyer or submit paper application if I want to re-evaluate their decision once more?
Hi Purvajask,
Can you please share what was the update? I hope you received an extended WP. I am in similar situation, I received my PGWP for 1 year yesterday. Can you please share your experience and way to move forward? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

sameer111

Mar 11, 2023
Hey! I am also in similar situation. My question from you is that if we got any email when agent put our file in reconsideration or when they will response or are they going to send me any email as i didnt get any email yet from them. Yesterday i got my approval letter and i got 2 year work permit insted of 3 year work permit. I also did 2 seperate one year programs and was eligible for 3 year work permit. Today i called cic, and when the agent has investigate my file , he said it just happen due to error and send my file for reconsideration.plzz reply
Hi Anju, Congratulations for receiving 3 year PGWP.I have created a webform but the Agent did not mention that she will put my file for reconsideration? Can you confirm a way to move ahead from this situation.

sameer111

Mar 11, 2023
Hey,
3 of my friends are also in the same issue. Only some get correspondence mail but regardless, all files go for reconsideration. They were told a time till this month's end for a decision. If anyone gets any update, I'll post over here. I too called on 8th December, no update yet.
Hey,
3 of my friends are also in the same issue. Only some get correspondence mail but regardless, all files go for reconsideration. They were told a time till this month's end for a decision. If anyone gets any update, I'll post over here. I too called on 8th December, no update yet.
Hey Az,
Congrats on receiving 3 year PGWP.
Can you confirm how all files go for reconsideration? Like after creating a webform? All files go for reconsideration? I believe what happened with me was only 1 graduation letter was uploaded due to some technical issue but the application had transcripts for both the courses. I ended up receiving PGWP for 1 year. Can you please confirm a way to move ahead in this situation. In urgent need , Please assist . Thank you

Batmanboxers

Nov 5, 2022
Hey Az,
Congrats on receiving 3 year PGWP.
Can you confirm how all files go for reconsideration? Like after creating a webform? All files go for reconsideration? I believe what happened with me was only 1 graduation letter was uploaded due to some technical issue but the application had transcripts for both the courses. I ended up receiving PGWP for 1 year. Can you please confirm a way to move ahead in this situation. In urgent need , Please assist . Thank you

Hello did you get an update?

I called them and the agent didn't mention that they can put my file for reconsideration. I wanna know how can I file for reconsideration?

I tried to tell agent all the info, but he said that the agent did what he thought was right. How can I get them to reconsider it? They said all they can do is leave a comment.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello did you get an update?

I called them and the agent didn't mention that they can put my file for reconsideration. I wanna know how can I file for reconsideration?

I tried to tell agent all the info, but he said that the agent did what he thought was right. How can I get them to reconsider it? They said all they can do is leave a comment.
Raise a webform and ask.

Rooke

Jan 31, 2024
I have been reading all these comments and want to share my situation too.

I studied for one year under Bachelor's program then shifted to doing a one year certificate program. I will be finishing my certificate program on April 2024.

My situation here is this:

2 years of study

(1year transcript from bachelors)+(1year certificate and transcript from college)

Does anyone know what will the length of my pgwp be if I apply?

Will it be 1 year or 3 years?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have been reading all these comments and want to share my situation too.

I studied for one year under Bachelor's program then shifted to doing a one year certificate program. I will be finishing my certificate program on April 2024.

My situation here is this:

2 years of study

(1year transcript from bachelors)+(1year certificate and transcript from college)

Does anyone know what will the length of my pgwp be if I apply?

Will it be 1 year or 3 years?

Thanks
One year as you didn’t complete your first program. You need two completed programs to combine them.