+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extent my Wife's stay in Canada past 6 months?

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
My wife's 6 months expires next moth on the 12th. We have just about finished the paperwork for the extension. I was wondering if she can only apply for another 6 month extension, or since it will likely take another year or so for her PR application to complete, can we request 12 months, or something similar?

We are also finding the online application very confusing. Would she be applying for a visitor visa?

Thanks,
Elithx

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
elithx said:
My wife's 6 months expires next moth on the 12th. We have just about finished the paperwork for the extension. I was wondering if she can only apply for another 6 month extension, or since it will likely take another year or so for her PR application to complete, can we request 12 months, or something similar?

We are also finding the online application very confusing. Would she be applying for a visitor visa?

Thanks,
Elithx

No, she's applying to extend her status as a visitor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Yes you can request a year for immigration purposes. Doesn't mean they will give it though. It would help if you pay the fees for the PR application first, so you can show that as proof (or other proof, such as an AOR, if you've already applied).

Dec 28, 2015
I got my visitor stay extended for 1year.I had mentioned that my PR application is in process.Better you submit ur application over paper than online coz paper applications takes more time to process than online.My visitor stay expired on Oct 16 n then It was extended till Oct17.May be it depends on application to application.If you want the delay better gor for paper as it would easily take 3months or more

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
Aquakitty said:
No, she's applying to extend her status as a visitor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Yes you can request a year for immigration purposes. Doesn't mean they will give it though. It would help if you pay the fees for the PR application first, so you can show that as proof (or other proof, such as an AOR, if you've already applied).
That's why I am confused. On the link you provided, if you click the "pay the fee" link I don't see any option to "extend your visitor stay" or something close to this.

We applied via Outland method in nov of 2016. I was approved as a sponsor and my wife's application was started on dec 7th.

elithx

Apr 4, 2016
namratha prasad said:
I got my visitor stay extended for 1year.I had mentioned that my PR application is in process.Better you submit ur application over paper than online coz paper applications takes more time to process than online.My visitor stay expired on Oct 16 n then It was extended till Oct17.May be it depends on application to application.If you want the delay better gor for paper as it would easily take 3months or more
Thank you for the reply Namratha. I have modified the application to request 1 year now. It's nice to know others have been granted that length. I was a little confused, are you suggesting paper or online? Also regarding the processing fee, which option did you select from the pulldown?

Thanks for the help everyone.