+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I do a < 24 hour soft landing and not provide a Canadian address?

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi folks,

I'm planning to perform my landing in vancouver this weekend. I don't have an address in Canada and plan to leave Canada within 24 hours after landing. I'm only thinking of settling in Canada in 2019. Would it be permissible for me to tell the immigration officer that I don't have an address so I won't be applying for a PR card and when I come to Canada again I'll apply for a PR travel document?

Thank you so much for your help!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No problem at all and as you have worked out they will just not initiate the PR card application and you will need to apply for a PRTD for your return in year or so. No point by the way in volunteering you will only be staying for 24 hours just say you don’t have a Canadian address and will be applying for your card laterwhen you have one. As you can read in other posts here not sure how you plan to cover any goods to follow , something to keep in mind given your timeline.

Mapleleaf2020

Sep 8, 2017
No problem at all and as you have worked out they will just not initiate the PR card application and you will need to apply for a PRTD for your return in year or so. No point by the way in volunteering you will only be staying for 24 hours just say you don’t have a Canadian address and will be applying for your card laterwhen you have one. As you can read in other posts here not sure how you plan to cover any goods to follow , something to keep in mind given your timeline.
Hi thank you very much for your reply. Not sure what you mean about goods to follow though. Do you mean the goods to follow list? It's my understanding that i'm supposed to provide the immmigration officer with an accompanying goods list and a goods to follow list. I've drafted the accompanying goods list but am not sure what to say about the goods to follow list. Are the goods to follow items that I intend to have shipped to Canada after I have arrived in Canada? I don't think I would have much in the way of such items- maybe some clothes and that would be it. Also, am I supposed to fill up some specific forms for my accompanying goods and goods to follow list, or can I just print out my own improvised list? Thank you!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi folks,

I'm planning to perform my landing in vancouver this weekend. I don't have an address in Canada and plan to leave Canada within 24 hours after landing. I'm only thinking of settling in Canada in 2019. Would it be permissible for me to tell the immigration officer that I don't have an address so I won't be applying for a PR card and when I come to Canada again I'll apply for a PR travel document?

Thank you so much for your help!
Yes. It's OK. Ask CBSA agent for 5456B form that you will fill up and fax once you have permanent address in Canada.

You do not need to submit GTA/GTF for short landing. You are required to submit it only when you are permanently moving to Canada. This way, If you buy anything between short and permanent landing then you can add those to GTA/GTF and import without duty.

Alexander80

Sep 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. It's OK. Ask CBSA agent for 5456B form that you will fill up and fax once you have permanent address in Canada.

You do not need to submit GTA/GTF for short landing. You are required to submit it only when you are permanently moving to Canada. This way, If you buy anything between short and permanent landing then you can add those to GTA/GTF and import without duty.
That's fantastic! Thank you for your help!