+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I cancel my husband Permanent Residency Card?

Jompakz1

Jan 21, 2018
Good day,
Just want to make it short, My husband cheated on me back home when my son and him came here last year thru Family Sponsorship and try to fix things, but after a month they have to go back home coz my son need to finish his school and just come back here after a year.But my husband now ex...still cheating on me..I received their PR card and didn't give it to them yet because my plan is to go back home and bring them here with me..but now I wanted to just bring my son only...What should I do? Do i have to cancel my husband PR card and call the CIC or just let it expire?

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Good day,
Just want to make it short, My husband cheated on me back home when my son and him came here last year thru Family Sponsorship and try to fix things, but after a month they have to go back home coz my son need to finish his school and just come back here after a year.But my husband now ex...still cheating on me..I received their PR card and didn't give it to them yet because my plan is to go back home and bring them here with me..but now I wanted to just bring my son only...What should I do? Do i have to cancel my husband PR card and call the CIC or just let it expire?
Hi,
I personally think you can't do much about that. If I were you I would contact a lawyer. You don't know what action from your side would be legal and what not (like keeping his PR card). Once your husband has got his permanent residency status, you can't do much about it. It's up to the Canadian government to cancel someone's residency and I am afraid cheating is not the reason for them to do so.

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016
How can you cancel your Husband PR Card ? There is no way to do that.

Even if you get separated from him , he still remains Canadian PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day,
You cannot cancel his PR status - only IRCC can do this. Based on the information provided, there are no grounds for IRCC to cancel his PR. Cheating isn't grounds to cancel PR. Based on the information you've provided, it sounds like your relationship was genuine and just hasn't worked out.

Your husband can order a replacement PR card if you don't give his PR card to him. You don't have the right to keep his PR card from him.

If you want to try to report your husband and get his PR status revoked, you'll need to provide strong evidence that his relationship with you was never genuine and he entered into a relationship with you fraudulently and for the sole purpose of obtaining PR status. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/report-fraud.html

Reactions: nov1061 and zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Good day,
Note that the PR card belongs to him, not you. You have no authority to withhold it from him.
Only IRCC can cancel his PR status, and it's unlikely that they will. Basically, there is not a lot that you can do, as you continued with the sponsorship application, even though you knew that the relationship was in trouble.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Good day,
Cancel your husband, not his card. Much easier ;)

Reactions: tauneutrino

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
As others have stated, you cannot do anything about his PR status now that he is a landed immigrant. Unless you want to go down the route of saying the marriage was always a sham, and done just for the purpose of getting status in Canada. Reading your post (and considering you have a child together), that doesn't seem likely.

In addition, I assume that you signed the sponsorship undertaking during the course of your Family Class sponsorship. You should know that your undertaking remains valid, even if you divorce/separate. That is to say, if your husband comes to Canada and goes on social assistance, you will be liable to repay the debt to the government of Canada. There's nothing you can do to cancel this obligation.

I know you're in a difficult situation and wish you the best of luck in sorting things out.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
It is no doubt difficult to deal with this kind of betrayal, but instead of focusing your energy on how to screw him over on the immigration issue, which as many have pointed out, won’t even work, the best thing to do is probably just cut your loss and start a new life without him, and the best revenge is having a much better life than him in the future that will make him regret his action but can do nothing about it

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I concur with most of what has been posted above.

Am posting to make one clarification regarding this statement: "Note that the PR card belongs to him, not you."

Actually the PR card is the property of the government of Canada. The person named on the card is the ONLY person authorized to possess and use the PR card. This is standard. Many governments specify that their government issued documents are the property of the government NOT the individual named and authorized to possess and use the document. In Canada, as in many other countries, this applies to documents like passports and drivers licenses. Even government issued health insurance cards (OHIP card, for example, specifically states on the back it is the property of the Ministry of Health).

In the context here this is significant because unauthorized holding or destroying another person's PR card is NOT merely a violation against the individual who is entitled to possess and use the card, IT IS AN OFFENCE AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT. Prosecution for such an offence may be so difficult as to be unlikely, but to be clear, misuse of someone else's PR card is serious.

Reactions: barsarah and k300k3

Jompakz1

Jan 21, 2018
But what should I do? Just give the PR card to him and so he can come here ? What if he doesn't want to come here anymore? Should I inform CIC or just let it expire? I don't think he still wants to come here in Canada .thanks to all your replys.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
But what should I do? Just give the PR card to him and so he can come here ? What if he doesn't want to come here anymore? Should I inform CIC or just let it expire? I don't think he still wants to come here in Canada .thanks to all your replys.
That is not your card. You should inform him that you have it. There's nothing to inform CIC about.

Whether he wants to come or not is his decision.

You do realize that he can easily get another card, right? Say you don't tell him, and he wants to come to Canada anyway, he still can. Not having physical possession of the PR card does not somehow strip you of your rights as a Permanent Resident.

His marriage issues have nothing whatsoever to do with his status as a Permanent Resident.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You send the card to him. It's as simple as that.
What he decides to do with his PR status is up to him.

Jompakz1

Jan 21, 2018
He knows but it seems like he doesn't want to come here anymore..I just want to know if I will have a problem if I bring my son here next year without my husband because I sponsor them both?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
He knows but it seems like he doesn't want to come here anymore..I just want to know if I will have a problem if I bring my son here next year without my husband because I sponsor them both?
1. Does your son have a PR card?
2. Have you already divorced your husband?

Jompakz1

Jan 21, 2018
Yes my son has a PR card..I have it, both of their PR card..my plan is to bring it to them personally and we come here altogether..but my ex husband now doesn't want to come here anymore because he is happy now with his life back home.. so only my son..but I don't know if I will have a problem if I only bring my son here without my ex!