+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for PR since I have 2 years of full time study in canada

newincanada2010

Star Member
Aug 15, 2010
Hi,

Can i go ahead and apply for PR since I have completed 2 yrs of full time study in canada. what are my chances of getting approved.

Any advice will be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're talking about CEC, then you need one year of full time work experience in addition to having graduated from a Canadian post secondary institution:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, he may in fact be able to apply for PR. In some provinces (including B.C.) he can apply under the PNP program. I'm only knowledgeable about B.C.'s program, so this info is specific to that province. The procedures and qualifications may differ elsewhere.

Here in B.C., an International Graduate can apply if he/she has satisfied the requirements for an eligible degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada within the last two years. After meeting the education requirement, an International Graduate must only have accepted a permanent, full time job offer from a BC employer. The PNP program does not require that International Graduates have any previous or additional work experience. An employer must provide the nominee applicant with a written offer of employment which must be signed by both parties. The offer must specify the following:
•The job title and duties
•The rate of pay
•The employee's standard hours of work
•That the position is both permanent and full-time in nature (a normal probationary period of employment may be specified)
A permanent job has no pre-determined end date. Full-time employment means that the employee is expected to work year round and, on average, at least 30 hours a week.

This category of PNP is similar to (but not directly related to) the B.C. PNP International Post-Graduate Pilot Project. Unlike that program, which is only available to individuals who complete a 2-year (or longer) Masters or Doctorate program, applying for PNP under the International Graduate program only requires completion of a 2-year FT program (Bachelors, Diploma, etc.).

The only thing I'm not 100% clear about is this: Whereas the BC PNP International Post-Graduate Pilot Project is a three year pilot ending on May 28, 2013, I do not know if there is a corresponding end-date for the Internationl Graduate program.

I hope this information proves useful to you. :)

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Are you graduated yet..?? Which province are you from..?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
First and foremost condition for the PNP program for international students are to be GRADUATED. Than comes regular certificates or Masters / PhD programs. Masters and PhD students can usually apply for PNP without job offer while others have to score a job and than they can apply. Some province restricts employment months. For example, Saskatchewan requires you to work at least in 6 months in the province after finishing studies to be eligible to apply for PNP.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jigzyy,
You'll notice that I explicitly differentiated between the BC PNP International Post-Graduate (Pilot) Program and the BC PNP International Graduate Program. They are not the same. Specifically, the Post-Graduate Program is only available to those who complete Post-Graduate (i.e., Masters or Doctorate) degrees, whereas the Graduate Program applies to applicants that have completed a 2-year or longer full-time post-secondary program. This doesn't mean someone can simply string along two-years of full-time coursework in a haphazard fashion in order to qualify. It must be a formal, structured program, the end result of which is a Diploma or Bachelors degree.

I've always understood "Post-Secondary" to mean anything beyond high school.

Contrary to your posting, the program web page (which I've provided a link to below for your convenience), specifically cites the following:
1.) "Nominee applicants in this category must have satisfied the requirements for an eligible degree or diploma – described below – as conferred by a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada"
2.) "A diploma must have been awarded by a Canadian public post-secondary institution. Diplomas from private institutions are not eligible."
3.) "The program of study is normally greater than 12 months of full-time equivalent study."

The page also provides a link to a list of qualifying post-secondary schools in B.C. that offer Diploma programs that can be completed to meet the education requirements for the BC PNP International Graduate Program. The list includes the larger schools (obviously) such as Simon Fraser, UBCm UVic, etc. It also spoecifically mentions Douglas College, Langara College, Okanagen College, and 18 other schools in BC. It even mentions Vancouver Community College as a qualifying source, a school that does not even offer any credentials beyond a diploma.

In the last year, I've seen 16 international students at Langara College (and those are just the ones I knew well) apply for and receive PR under the PNP. Hell, we even have representatives from CIC and the BC Provincial government visit the school EVERY term for the sole purpose of explaining/recruiting for this program!

Here are two links:
This first one is to the BC PNP International Post-Graduate Pilot Project.
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/student_pilot/who.page?

You'll notice towards the very end of "Who Can Apply" paragraph it mentions "International students in Canada who do not meet the criteria of this category may be nominated under the International Graduates category if they have been offered permanent full-time employment in BC" and provides a handy link to the following page:
http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/international_graduates/who.page?

If I misunderstood the tone of your reply, then I apologize. Otherwise, I certainly don't mind being corrected if I occasionally include an erroneous piece of information in one of my posts. But before (publicly) telling me that the information I've provided is incorrect on a pretty much wholesale basis, you'd better be damned sure you know what the hell you're talking about. Being ignorant of all possible options when it comes to subject as complex as immigration is surely nothing to be ashamed of. Declaring someone elses information incorrect, however, simply because you yourself weren't previously aware of it, is the grossest show of arrogance.

newincanada2010,
as I mentioned in my previous post, I hope my information proves somewhat useful to you.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To clarify further, and perhaps clear up any misunderstanding, I never suggested that education (whether a Diploma or Degree) was the only requirement for applying under the BC PNP. What I said in my original post was that a minimum length of time in skilled employment was not necessarily always a prerequisite for the PNP. I mentioned that requirements might differ from province to province, but that in BC, only a job OFFER was actually needed after finishing the required 2-year full-time education requirement.

I also forgot to mentiuon that even the schooling need not have been completed within BC. A qualifying course of study can be anywhere in Canada, provided it is from a qualifying post-secondary school. One can still qualify for the BC PNP even after graduating elsewhere in the country.

Reactions: Olad_queen

Yyyyyy

Sep 8, 2011
Hi,

Need some info. About uni's in BC..IF I take admission in FDU,can I change it to a diff. College????
Is possible to change college from BC to Ontario or BC to BC...

Plz let me know...

Thx,