+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for Express Entry? From Family Class PR...

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

I am currently applying for Inland Canada Sponsorship with my girlfriend, the processing times are taking a very long time and it is starting to affect my relationship. It's taken 16 months so far and my application has not even been processed yet.

The reason why I am thinking of applying for express entry is in case the relationship breaks down, I understand that If I do get Permanent residence from my girlfriend (Common-Law Family Class) It will be a conditional acceptance for 3 years. So we would still have to live and be together for 3 years once after I get my Permanent Residence from that class...So to me it sounds like I will always be living on a thread that I would be deported if anything were to happen to us. So I don't feel 100% safe...

I was wondering if its possible for me to also apply for Express Entry as I am sure I can qualify and I have around 500-600 points..

I am currently here on a 2 year Open Work permit which ends in 2017 which is connected to my Inland Canada Family Sponsorship process from the Pilot Project.

-I currently have a stable job in Canada which is NOC 2282 Type B
-I have been working in Canada for the past 3+ years in that same job type (NOC B)
- 3 years Study with a College Diploma
-I am a British Citizen
-I have my Family who live in the country (Uncle and Aunty)
-Police Checks and Medicals are complete
-I can easily pass the Language test

Would this cause any conflict if I apply for Express Entry while I am also applying for Permanent Residency in a different class?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
Hello all,

I am currently applying for Inland Canada Sponsorship with my girlfriend, the processing times are taking a very long time and it is starting to affect my relationship. It's taken 16 months so far and my application has not even been processed yet.

The reason why I am thinking of applying for express entry is in case the relationship breaks down, I understand that If I do get Permanent residence from my girlfriend (Common-Law Family Class) It will be a conditional acceptance for 3 years. So we would still have to live and be together for 3 years once after I get my Permanent Residence from that class...So to me it sounds like I will always be living on a thread that I would be deported if anything were to happen to us. So I don't feel 100% safe...

I was wondering if its possible for me to also apply for Express Entry as I am sure I can qualify and I have around 500-600 points..

I am currently here on a 2 year Open Work permit which ends in 2017 which is connected to my Inland Canada Family Sponsorship process from the Pilot Project.

-I currently have a stable job in Canada which is NOC 2282 Type B
-I have been working in Canada for the past 3+ years in that same job type (NOC B)
- 3 years Study with a College Diploma
-I am a British Citizen
-I have my Family who live in the country (Uncle and Aunty)
-Police Checks and Medicals are complete
-I can easily pass the Language test

Would this cause any conflict if I apply for Express Entry while I am also applying for Permanent Residency in a different class?
You're good for EE with 3 years in Canada in an NOC B job. You have to get your education evaluated in order to apply, and you have to take the IELTS English test (strange, I know, if it's your native language, but it's mine too and I've had to do it twice so far!) With those two results in hand you may indeed qualify for both FSW and CEC. You will get points under FSW for your aunt and uncle (I assume one of them is a sibling of one of your parents) but you won't get EE points, and if you take the points for them you will have to prove their relationship to you through a chain of birth certificates. For instance, if the uncle is your father's brother, you will have to have your birth certificate showing your father's name, then his, showing his parents' names, and then your uncle's, showing that he has the same parents as your father. So if you plan to mention that relationship, get those documents, too.

I agree with you that EE is a better way, as you won't be dependent on your girlfriend to keep your status. It will take pressure off both of you to go this route. Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To add to the above - if you want the additional 600 job offer points under EE, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA.

You can have EE and Family Class sponsorship applications simultaneously.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok thanks for that information.

In terms of my current job, I am employed full time under the NOC B

Why would my employer have to apply for a approved LMIA? I am currently working full time for a company in NOC B, surely that is enough to show them?

Once I am approved and I have the EE How long does the Visa last? Is it a 5 year Permanent residence visa?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
because you don't get points for a job unless the job has a valid LMIA. You can enter the EE pool without an LMIA though.
its the same PR visa as before.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The higher the points you score under express entry - the more likely you are to be selected out of the candidates in the pool for PR. Having the 600 extra points for a job offer in Canada would guarantee you are selected (you need the LMIA to get the 600 points). As of now, I believe 453 is the minimum points that have been required to be selected from the candidate pool. However there are more rounds coming and it's certainly expected the points required will drop (however how low is anyone's guess).

Just to be clear, when we say that you can apply for EE, we mean that you can submit a profile for consideration. You still have to be selected before you can actually submit a PR application under EE. So the more points, the better.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since I do have my family class visa processing at what stage would I have to cancel that to avoid both of them conflicting?
As it seems so risky to cancel this family class common Law PR application then let everything ride of this Express Entry, what if I am somehow denied or if it takes a long time to process my EE then I am left in Limbo... I do still have the 2 year work permit I guess..

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
Since I do have my family class visa processing at what stage would I have to cancel that to avoid both of them conflicting?
As it seems so risky to cancel this family class common Law PR application then let everything ride of this Express Entry, what if I am somehow denied or if it takes a long time to process my EE then I am left in Limbo... I do still have the 2 year work permit I guess..
You can leave both in process until one is decided. Then (assuming the decision is positive) you cancel the other. Remember that there are different criteria for the 2 programs, and being turned down for one won't affect the other unless you are turned down for inadmissibility in general - health, criminal record, etc.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jamesdavid3 said:
Your OWP is linked to your Inland sponsorship application...remember? If you cancel that application, or you are denied, your OWP is cancelled as well.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
Your OWP is linked to your Inland sponsorship application...remember? If you cancel that application, or you are denied, your OWP is cancelled as well.
Is that really the case how can my OWP be cancelled if I already have it valid for 2 years?

If I cancel my In-land application and still stay here and apply via Express Entry I don't see that being a huge issue.

I don't see how the CIC can stop me from working once I do cancel my In-land application while I wait for my express entry one