+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I apply for edmonton health card then leave and use it later ?

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Dear all

I plan to land in edmonton and apply for health card for my wife who is pregnant but we are only making a short landing (2weeks ) and we will head back home and will come back later near the end of pregnancy .

My wife intend to stay for 6 months / year in edmonton but we wont do that at our initial landing .

is there a problem with that ? would my wife health card be valid and active to be use when we make our 2nd landing and use it for the delivery of our baby

thanks

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

She will have to do the landing in Canada (As a PR obviously) + an additional three months of living in Canada after become a PR before qualifying for OHIP coverage. This applies for Ontario. Not sure about Alberta.

There are a lot of information in this website. Do some searching.

People used to take advantage of the system and now the Government is more strict with this health coverage.

All the best,

SFD

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't actually have to apply at your landing, you can do it when you come to settle because Alberta has first day coverage for people who are coming from another country.

The eligibility requirements to apply for Alberta health is that you reside in AB and you are committed to residing in AB at least 6 months out of every 12. At the time you land, you can not truly say that you are residing in AB yet as you are just staying a couple of weeks.

Aside from that, they will ask for proof that you truly reside in AB such as a utility bill or a bank statement sent to you at an AB address.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Dear Leon , Thanks alot for your help . Is there a problem that We apply for health card for my wife on landing ? will we be breaking the law ?

if we dont apply then we will be landing next time after a couple of months , so if we apply at our second landing would this be ok with health authoritis and offer us 1st day coverage ???

i really prefer to apply on the first landing for my wife , as 2nd time she will be alone and at late months of pregnancy and i would not be with her .

so if we apply then come back within couple of months and stay for 6 months , would this would be ok ??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:
Dear Leon , Thanks alot for your help . Is there a problem that We apply for health card for my wife on landing ? will we be breaking the law ?

if we dont apply then we will be landing next time after a couple of months , so if we apply at our second landing would this be ok with health authoritis and offer us 1st day coverage ???

i really prefer to apply on the first landing for my wife , as 2nd time she will be alone and at late months of pregnancy and i would not be with her .

so if we apply then come back within couple of months and stay for 6 months , would this would be ok ??
I do not know if Alberta health would have a problem with you applying after your first landing even if you are only staying a couple of weeks but you can ask them. You can find their phone numbers and contact info here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/contact-AHCIP.html

It would definitely not be a problem to get first day health care if you apply the 2nd time you arrive because you are still moving from another country and not from another province.

If your wife will be alone, she will face a lot worse than having to apply for a health card on her own. She will be looking for an apartment alone, furnishing it and moving in alone, she will have to find a doctor on her own, go to check ups, have the baby alone, take care of the baby alone etc. Are you sure this is the best option for you? Maybe it would be better if she stayed after your first landing. Then you could at least help her look for an apartment and furnish it.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Dear Leon

I really appreciate your help

for sure i will catch up with my wife before delivery and after , but i just wanted to reduce as much as possible the things she should do when she reaches edmonton the 2nd time .

rent is already taken care of as i know i guy who works in that field and promised to help with that .

I guess i will call alberta health , although i dont see any problem as long as we intend to live for 6 months later during the same year

thanks again

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Leon said:
You don't actually have to apply at your landing, you can do it when you come to settle because Alberta has first day coverage for people who are coming from another country.

The eligibility requirements to apply for Alberta health is that you reside in AB and you are committed to residing in AB at least 6 months out of every 12. At the time you land, you can not truly say that you are residing in AB yet as you are just staying a couple of weeks.

Aside from that, they will ask for proof that you truly reside in AB such as a utility bill or a bank statement sent to you at an AB address.

Dear Leon

Can I get a bank statement upon landing immediately and use it as proof of residence to apply for health card

Your advise about applying at 2nd landing really make sense but the problem I red in another link that if u come from outside of Canada u should apply for Alberta health card within 90 days of landing ?!

Could u please help me with this puzzle

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You can apply anytime. Actually they need your passport, landing paper and any address proof in Alberta.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:
Dear Leon

Can I get a bank statement upon landing immediately and use it as proof of residence to apply for health card

Your advise about applying at 2nd landing really make sense but the problem I red in another link that if u come from outside of Canada u should apply for Alberta health card within 90 days of landing ?!

Could u please help me with this puzzle
Where did you read this? Please post the link.

A PR who is landing in AB isn't necessarily going to settle in AB and hence should not in all cases apply for a health card. If your plan was to stay outside AB for more than 6 months, you would not be eligible at all. The question is if you are eligible to apply now if you are coming for 2 weeks so basically as a visitor and not a settler but you have the intention to return after less than 6 months and stay more than 6 months in the first 12 after your initial landing. Have you phoned AB health and asked about this yet?

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Dear Leon

Thanks you ever so much for your help , I just found the link i was talking about and the Funny thing you are in it too :D :D

it seems you are present all over the web whenever there is a discussion on canada , bless you

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/alberta-health-card-waiting-time-moving-from-toronto-to-edmontonwith-no-ohip-t114764.0.html;wap2=

as you could see in the above link the person asking actually wanted to return to alberta after landing within less than 3 months BUTTT
as you may see in the REPLY he could from alberta it clearly states that :

" if you came back to alberta after 3 months of landing you wont get insurance from first day !!!"

please correct me if i'm wrong

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right. They are saying you should apply within 90 days of arriving to settle in order to get your first day health care. It is however crystal clear that does not apply to people who are visiting. Lets say another PR is landing just like you but they are intending to stay outside Canada for the maximum allowed which is 3 years. This PR would obviously not be expected to apply for AB health when he arrives, in fact it would be health care fraud if he did. However, when he arrives to settle 3 years later, he will of course get first day health care if he applies within the 90 days of arriving.

In your case, it is not so clear because you are not coming to settle when you come for your first landing. You will leave for a few months but are intending to come back to AB and stay there for at least 6/12 months. So the question is, will AB health say that you are at this time a visitor who is not eligible for AB health yet or will they say that because your intentions are to come back and spend at least 6/12 months, you qualify as an AB resident. Nobody can really answer that question except AB health. So have you phoned them yet?

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thanks Dear Alot , I will for sure contact them in person once i reach there and i will post it in the same linke to help others .

bless you

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Dear Leo

Just another question please , if alberta health says i could apply for health card , would it be ok open a bank account right away and get a statment from the bank with my name on it ??

For sure I will not have a formal address on 1st landing , so could i put an address of a friends of Mine for the bank statment ??

also would i have to wait until end of month to get statment or i could get it right away?

thanks buddy and plus a million for you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:
Dear Leo

Just another question please , if alberta health says i could apply for health card , would it be ok open a bank account right away and get a statment from the bank with my name on it ??

For sure I will not have a formal address on 1st landing , so could i put an address of a friends of Mine for the bank statment ??

also would i have to wait until end of month to get statment or i could get it right away?

thanks buddy and plus a million for you
Many people have used a bank statement in order to apply for a health card. In some cases, the bank has given a letter right away showing that you have an account and that you have given an AB address and AB health has accepted that as proof.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thanks Leon , do you know which bank do this ...

and in case i wasnt successful and get it right away would a friend address be ok

thanks