+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a live in caregiver be my relative?

sobolalex

May 3, 2010
Dear members,
I am in Canada as a PR. My job requires to leave home frequently, sometimes for a couple of days. I have 2 kids - 10 and 3. My aunt took care of my kids since their first birthday. I want to have her as a live in caregiver in Canada. I cannot find a better person, the language is also an important factor. Is that possible? She does not have a 6-month certificate. Can I issue her a letter of experience? I never issued her pay stubs for her. Thank you for your thoughts.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sobolalex said:
Dear members,
I am in Canada as a PR. My job requires to leave home frequently, sometimes for a couple of days. I have 2 kids - 10 and 3. My aunt took care of my kids since their first birthday. I want to have her as a live in caregiver in Canada. I cannot find a better person, the language is also an important factor. Is that possible? She does not have a 6-month certificate. Can I issue her a letter of experience? I never issued her pay stubs for her. Thank you for your thoughts.
A relative can be a caregiver but first she must be qualified, then she has to apply at a visa office outside Canada. But you would still have to advertise for the position for 14 days to the national job bank and another major daily or website and then apply for LMO for your relative if not PR or Canadian citizen applied/qualified. If she is in Canada as a visitor and has been working for you, that is something illegal. Don't even try to put it as her experience as she would have been in violation of her status.

sobolalex

May 3, 2010
Thank you so much! No, she never was in Canada. All her experience was in the past, before I left, in our home country. I never wanted to bring her illegally, and cause her problems.
My big worry is that she didn't work at they agency and the letter of her experience is in fact the letter from me. Is that could be a problem?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sobolalex said:
Thank you so much! No, she never was in Canada. All her experience was in the past, before I left, in our home country. I never wanted to bring her illegally, and cause her problems.
My big worry is that she didn't work at they agency and the letter of her experience is in fact the letter from me. Is that could be a problem?
She should be able to substantiate it (job experience claim) with tax returns and a letter from a relative might not work. It should be a year of paid job experience. If she has reported those earnings even if she was not given pay stubs then she can claim she had the experience.

sobolalex

May 3, 2010
Thank you so much!
Could I understand from your answer that the problem is that the letter of experience is written by a relative, or you think that in any case the letter of experience (from a private person or an agency) should be accompanied by pay stubs or tax documents?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
sobolalex said:
Thank you so much!
Could I understand from your answer that the problem is that the letter of experience is written by a relative, or you think that in any case the letter of experience (from a private person or an agency) should be accompanied by pay stubs or tax documents?
Yes. Tax documents would best substantiate experience claim.