+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a Dependant sponser his/her spouse

hak88

Oct 30, 2012
Hey guys i need some sincere advice on this I am a permanent resident of canada albeit a recent one and I was sponsored by my dad he was the original application for the permanent residency, now i am confused if whether I can personally sponsor my wife from a foreign country and if yes then what will be the procedure to do that and what proofs do I need to present or what type of a visa can i get to bring her to canada?

Sincere advice will be appreciated

Thanks

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
hak88 said:
Hey guys i need some sincere advice on this I am a permanent resident of canada albeit a recent one and I was sponsored by my dad he was the original application for the permanent residency, now i am confused if whether I can personally sponsor my wife from a foreign country and if yes then what will be the procedure to do that and what proofs do I need to present or what type of a visa can i get to bring her to canada?

Sincere advice will be appreciated

Thanks
No you cant sponsor your wife for simple reason that you were sponsored by Dad for PR of Canada.You have to wait for 5 years to sponsor some one else.The best way is she apply for PR under the skilled category or if she is from Visa Exempt countries she can visit you on Visit Visa....Hope it helps...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tahsinmohammad said:
No you cant sponsor your wife for simple reason that you were sponsored by Dad for PR of Canada.You have to wait for 5 years to sponsor some one else.The best way is she apply for PR under the skilled category or if she is from Visa Exempt countries she can visit you on Visit Visa....Hope it helps...
Wrong - this rule only applies to sponsored spouses.

hak88 - In order for us to answer your questions, we need to know the following:
1) When did you get married?
2) When did you land in Canada and become a PR?

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
scylla said:
Wrong - this rule only applies to sponsored spouses.

hak88 - In order for us to answer your questions, we need to know the following:
1) When did you get married?
2) When did you land in Canada and become a PR?
thanks Scylla for correcting my quote.....

hak88

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the quick response tahsin and scylla,

Scylla answers to your questions are :

1 I am not married yet, I am planning and I will only take this step once I am sure there is procedure for her to settle down here else it would not be feasible for any of us

2. I recently became a PR

Thanks again :)

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hak88 said:
Thanks for the quick response tahsin and scylla,

Scylla answers to your questions are :

1 I am not married yet, I am planning and I will only take this step once I am sure there is procedure for her to settle down here else it would not be feasible for any of us

2. I recently became a PR

Thanks again :)
Yes, you can sponsor your wife after you get married (assuming you're old enough).

To be eligible for sponsorship, you must meet the following criteria:
- be 18 years of age or older
- be a permanent resident or citizen
- you must reside in Canada
- you can't be in bankruptcy
- you can't be on welfare

Full details can be found on the CIC web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A dependent child can not be married or in a common law relationship when they land as a PR. After they have landed, they have the same rights as any other PR to get married and sponsor their spouse.

Immigration may ask how serious your relationship was before you immigrated. If you had lived together as a couple for 12 months or longer before you landed as a PR, you would have been common law and then you would not have qualified as a dependent child but as long as you were just boyfriend and girlfriend, there is no problem.

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
Hi hak88.. My former common-law partner ( now my spouse) was already in Canada, and now he applied for sponsorship for me and for our child. You can sponsor your soon to be wife anytime after the wedding, there is no problem about that.. Our case was.. before he applied for permanent residency under dependent child category we are already a in a common-law relationship, and he declared me as his common-law partner on his application, that time we have a baby already when they submitted thier application, i filled outs also some forms as he declared me as his common-law, fortunately the cic give my partner and my baby a visa. please be careful on your applications, never tell them that you were in a common-law relationship if you did not declared her as your common-law partner before they grant you a visa or else your sponsorship to her will be denied..(if you were common-law prior to your move in canada).

Go hak88! GOODLUCK on your application.. :D

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Ja_Sy said:
Hi hak88.. My former common-law partner ( now my spouse) was already in Canada, and now he applied for sponsorship for me and for our child. You can sponsor your soon to be wife anytime after the wedding, there is no problem about that.. Our case was.. before he applied for permanent residency under dependent child category we are already a in a common-law relationship, and he declared me as his common-law partner on his application, that time we have a baby already when they submitted thier application, i filled outs also some forms as he declared me as his common-law, fortunately the cic give my partner and my baby a visa. please be careful on your applications, never tell them that you were in a common-law relationship if you did not declared her as your common-law partner before they grant you a visa or else your sponsorship to her will be denied..(if you were common-law prior to your move in canada).

Go hak88! GOODLUCK on your application.. :D
Please don't encourage people to lie to get into Canada.

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
amikety said:
Please don't encourage people to lie to get into Canada.
Im not saying sir that he will going to tell a lie on his application soon.. I am only telling the truth sir, that once he did not declared his common-law prior to his move to canada then his sponsorship will be denied. ( *if they were in a common-law relationship before but if not then there is no need my post to be an issue :p :p :p) thank you. :D

hak88

Oct 30, 2012
thanks everyone for the response it is pretty much clear now, and just to clarify i was not in any sort of relationship that is common law or marriage prior to my application or when becoming a PR, hence no worries about that and yes i meet the all said age and other requirements.

So now its time to finally decide on this wish me luck :)

Ja_Sy

Sep 23, 2012
hak88 said:
thanks everyone for the response it is pretty much clear now, and just to clarify i was not in any sort of relationship that is common law or marriage prior to my application or when becoming a PR, hence no worries about that and yes i meet the all said age and other requirements.

So now its time to finally decide on this wish me luck :)

GOOD LUCK hak88! :)

kleiden

Dec 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2012
File Transfer...
14-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-03-2012
Passport Req..
29-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2013
LANDED..........
29-03-2013
Ja_Sy said:
Im not saying sir that he will going to tell a lie on his application soon.. I am only telling the truth sir, that once he did not declared his common-law prior to his move to canada then his sponsorship will be denied. ( *if they were in a common-law relationship before but if not then there is no need my post to be an issue :p :p :p) thank you. :D
Hi Ja,

I tried sending you a personal message but it wasn't working. I wanted to clarify on the common-law rule. I tried adding you on the message you gave but it wasn't letting me. kindly add me on FB via my email: image_not_available@yahoo.com