+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a denied WP stop you from entering as visitor?

Kimmm

Oct 2, 2017
Hi there,

My partner is currently applying for a work permit through the IEC programme. He has a drink driving charge in Australia from roughly 6 years ago so we understand there is the possibility that his application will be denied.

If he does get denied I'm wondering if this will affect him being able to enter Canada as a visitor on his New Zealand passport? We have travelled to Canada a number of times to visit and he has had no trouble at the border. He currently has a valid eTA.

Any info would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the IEC process determines he's inadmissible and has to apply for rehabilitation before he can be admitted to Canada - there's always some chance the ETA could be impacted or entry to Canada could be impacted. So short answer is yes.

Kimmm

Oct 2, 2017
If the IEC process determines he's inadmissible and has to apply for rehabilitation before he can be admitted to Canada - there's always some chance the ETA could be impacted or entry to Canada could be impacted. So short answer is yes.
Thanks for that. We have been trying to decide if it's worth him submitting the application or not. We are leaning towards him just entering on his New Zealand passport and not working while we are there (he was only applying for a visa as a "just in case" anyway.)

Do you know if Immigration at the border would see that he was invited to apply for a visa but didn't? Would it raise suspicion that he might be planning to stay longer than the six months his passport allows? Or am I just being overly paranoid about it all?!

Thanks again!