+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can a child have CCTB, SIN Card, and OHIP Card that was born to visitors parent

Amir Khan

Oct 6, 2014
Hi Expert,

Can a child have CCTB, SIN Card, and OHIP Card that was born to a visitor's parent?
Both parent are visitor. The child was born this week. They have applied for Birth Certificate. Hopefully they will get it next week.

1. Can they apply kid’s SIN card? What is the procedure? Does the kid need local national guardian for this purpose?
2. Can they apply CCTB for the kid and how? They want to open an RESP account for him. Does the kid need local national guardian for this purpose?
3. Can they apply OHIP for the kid and how?
4. Can the parent open a bank account without having their SIN cards?

Amir Khan
akhan64@gmail.com

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml
2. No - the child does not qualify for CCTB and the parents cannot open an RESP because they are visitors.
3. Yes - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/
4. Yes - some bank branches will let you.

And by the way - you asked this same question a month ago. The answer hasn't changed:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/claiming-cctb-by-nonresident-past-visitor-mom-for-a-canadian-child-t260969.0.html;msg3858024#msg3858024

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
And by the way - you asked this same question a month ago. The answer hasn't changed:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/claiming-cctb-by-nonresident-past-visitor-mom-for-a-canadian-child-t260969.0.html;msg3858024#msg3858024

it shows that the author concerns more about benefits then a child itself.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont the parents stay here illegally? They made all the effort of having the child here and are looking to get all the benefits so why not? By the way, where and how was the child delivered? Did it cost money or was it free? Can u please confirm

Amir Khan

Oct 6, 2014
Hi Scylla,

I was out of Canada on annual vacation from 24th December 2014 till 9th January 2015. In fact, I lost the link and could not follow up your answer. So, I created a new query. Thanks a lot for your expert advice. The visitor parents are related to me. They are well off and not looking for any un-fair money. I am asking the questions my own is own. I am helping to save their un-necessary waste of money. I was thinking that they can apply SIN for the kid and get at least universal child benefit. I want to open an RESP account for the kid so I can put the universal child benefit in it.

Is it not smart thinking?

I draw more than 100k per annum and feeding illegal visitor’s kids by pay heaving taxes. Why not for my own relative.
By the way, Can I be a guardian of the kid and claim benefit for his RESP?

Hi Newtone,

He paid total $5,800 to Southlake health Centre, Newmarket, ON.
- Doctor Fee and Hospital: $2,600.00
- Hospital Room for a day: $2,400.00
- Child fee: $800.00

Later, they kept the kid for three days due to some kid problem, however they did not charge for it.
Regards

Amir Khan
akhan64@gmail.com

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. They can get the kid a SIN card and a Canadian passport.

2. They are not eligible for CCTB or UCCB because they are not citizens, PR's or here on a work permit or study permit for more than 18 months. Also, they are not residing in Canada which would be a requirement too. CCTB and UCCB is not given to visitors, regardless of their children being Canadian. Your idea to sign yourself up as the child's guardian to get these benefits would be considered benefits fraud and is punishable by fines/prison, possible loss of PR if caught. If you truly intend to become the guardian of the child, the parents would need to leave the child with you to raise and you would then be eligible for these benefits.

3. They can apply for OHIP. As a newborn Canadian, the kid has first day OHIP. However, if they leave with the kid, he will lose his OHIP unless he lives in Ontario at least 5 months a year. He can however apply for OHIP again if he moves to Canada and then would be subject to a 3 month waiting period.

4. The parents can open a bank account that is not interest bearing in their own names. They can open an interest bearing bank account in their child's name with the child's SIN.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Amir Khan said:
Hi Scylla,

I was out of Canada on annual vacation from 24th December 2014 till 9th January 2015. In fact, I lost the link and could not follow up your answer. So, I created a new query. Thanks a lot for your expert advice. The visitor parents are related to me. They are well off and not looking for any un-fair money. I am asking the questions my own is own. I am helping to save their un-necessary waste of money. I was thinking that they can apply SIN for the kid and get at least universal child benefit. I want to open an RESP account for the kid so I can put the universal child benefit in it.

No - it's not smart thinking at all. It's incredibly stupid to be brutally frank. As Leon explained, this is an illegal act which you could be prosecuted for. Best case scenario you would be forced to repay all of the money since it was illegally obtained. Worst case scenario you might find yourself facing criminal charges/fines. Tread very carefully if you don't want to mess up your life.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Amir Khan said:
They are well off and not looking for any un-fair money.
And yet they are trying to claim benefits they are not entitled to.

Amir Khan said:
I was thinking that they can apply SIN for the kid and get at least universal child benefit. I want to open an RESP account for the kid so I can put the universal child benefit in it.
No, that is fraud.

Amir Khan said:
I draw more than 100k per annum and feeding illegal visitor's kids by pay heaving taxes. Why not for my own relative.
You feel justified in your actions despite the fact that you are doing nothing but perpetuating the problem? Why should I have to pay for your relative on top of the other illegal visitor's kids?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you can claim CCTB either cause your income is too high. Your tax dollars go towards helping less fortunate Canadians, less fortunate PRs, illegals, social groups who support undocumented people (i.e http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/), and people who are smart enough to scam the Canadian system.