+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing your fiancee from Russia

sieberi

Sep 29, 2010
I need some help or advice. I have had a congenial relationship with my girlfriend in Cheboksary Russia. I have visited her twice within the last four years. We plan on getting married soon. I need advice how to get her over here without the hassles. If you are a man married to a Russian your advice would help. Likewise if you are a woman from Russia living in Canada, I would appreciate your feedback too.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Canada doesn't have visas for fiancees. She would either need to apply for a visitor visa (and show she has sufficient funds to support herself, as well as demonstrate she'll leave Canada at the end of the authorised visit), or wait until you are married and then you would sponsor her for Permanent Residence on that basis.

That said, it can be hard to get a visitor visa if they know you are married or planning to marry - they will likely suspect she won't return to Russia after entering Canada.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Matt is correct. Your options are marrying there and sponsoring her. Or IF she can get a TRV, you marry here and sponsor her.

Either way...I don't see how you can avoid the hassles of paperwork and sponsorship. It's doable though...I did it and know a few others now that have as well.

sieberi

Sep 29, 2010
What about proving conjugal? I read about it and most applications are declined. What about going over to her country and get married there? Is there a waiting process after the family visa? What are some near-fool-proof options?

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
sieberi said:
What about proving conjugal? I read about it and most applications are declined. What about going over to her country and get married there? Is there a waiting process after the family visa? What are some near-fool-proof options?
Hi!

If you're already planning to get married (as you said she's your fiancee) I think the best option is waiting until you marry her and then apply outland through Moscow office. There is no way to speed up the process, but providing good proof of relationship and police clearances/medical tests with your initial application will avoid unnecessary delays. A lot of people suggest paying all fees upfront.

Conjugal is a harder category and like I said, if you can and are already planning to get married, best option would be to apply once you're married.

shawngt2

Jul 18, 2010
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-9-2010
Doc's Request.
13-1-2011
AOR Received.
22-11-2010
File Transfer...
5-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-8-2010
Passport Req..
5-5-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-5-2011
LANDED..........
23-5-2011
bonbon9 said:
Hi!

If you're already planning to get married (as you said she's your fiancee) I think the best option is waiting until you marry her and then apply outland through Moscow office. There is no way to speed up the process, but providing good proof of relationship and police clearances/medical tests with your initial application will avoid unnecessary delays. A lot of people suggest paying all fees upfront.

Conjugal is a harder category and like I said, if you can and are already planning to get married, best option would be to apply once you're married.
My advice would also be along these lines. I happened to be in Russia for work and met my wife there. Previous to my work ending in Russia, we had a serious talk and determined the best method was to get married for us to be together eventually in Canada. I think it is less risk to get married in Russia as it is easier for you to get a Russian tourist visa. Keep in mind you may need over a month to get paperwork and go through the waiting period of 30 days for marriage. To complete everything from your visa application to her landing in Canada can take slightly less than a year if everything goes smoothly. Very careful research, reading and planning skills would be required.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Conjugal is really for couple who because of circumstances beyond their control cannot get married. Like same sex couples in countries that do not allow those unions...or I believe Filipinos who cannot get divorced legally so they cannot marry again legally. Just examples. Since you can always go there and get married you do not have that barrier to marriage that would enable you to apply as conjugal.

You really should only follow one of these two paths...

1. She applies for a temp visa to Canada. IF she gets it...she comes here, you get married, and you apply to sponsor her here in country.

2. IF she doesn't get a temp visa to visit you here, then you start planning to get married there instead. You will need to learn what you need in the way of paperwork and what the process is to get married there. And then once married you need to sponsor her before she can come here. That process takes some work to collect all the paperwork and apply, do the medical, and then you wait while they process it for months.

You will likely have to follow option 2. But I have seen a couple instances where the woman got a temp visa as well...they are just less likely. Neither option is fool-proof since doing the paperwork does suck and requires detailed work...BUT the marriage route is the least fail-proof in any case.