+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing a U.S. leased vehicle to Canada

charlotte

Aug 24, 2005
I am a US citizen, Canadian Perm resident, my son and wife are duel citizens of Canada/US. We live in New York and are seriously thinking of moving back to Montreal, i do not want to buy my leased car outright and then import to Canada. Is it possible to come across the border with the car and move my belongings etc... My lease expires 1/11. Will the border make a big deal? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the leased car is not registered to you but to the leasing company, then you will need to bring a letter from the leasing company saying it's ok for you to take the car to Canada. Getting this letter may be hard since they know it will be a lot harder for them to get the car back from you if you stop paying by the time you are in Canada.

charlotte

Aug 24, 2005
my lease states that i can travel in canada for 30 days, i already tried getting a letter and they would not give me one. WOuld the Canadian border personnel stop me from coming in with the car?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bring the leasing agreement with you so if the border makes a fuss, you can show them that you are allowed to travel in Canada and you will take the car back later.

vierx2007

Dec 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Multiple
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-3-2010
Nomination.....
NA
IELTS Request
submitted together w/ the docs.
Med's Request
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-12-2011
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
charlotte said:
my lease states that i can travel in canada for 30 days, i already tried getting a letter and they would not give me one. WOuld the Canadian border personnel stop me from coming in with the car?
I'm on similar situation. Were you able to cross the border from US to Canada with issue?

Many thanks,
vierx

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vierx2007 said:
I'm on similar situation. Were you able to cross the border from US to Canada with issue?

Many thanks,
vierx
Starting 2012, Canadians can cross Canada US border with rental vehicle from USA:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-2012-h048e-6704.htm

vierx2007

Dec 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Multiple
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-3-2010
Nomination.....
NA
IELTS Request
submitted together w/ the docs.
Med's Request
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-12-2011
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
steaky said:
Starting 2012, Canadians can cross Canada US border with rental vehicle from USA:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-2012-h048e-6704.htm
Pls let me know if I understand this correctly. Currently I got lease car here in US that will expire 2 years from now. I will be staying in Canada for good as permanent resident starting next year but I'm require by my employer to visit Seattle office once or twice a month.

Is the 30 days given by Canadian transportation will reset every time I cross from US to Canada? If yes, effectively given me a right to drive the US lease car for 2 years inside Canada as long as I re-cross the border before 30 days period.

StellarZZ

Dec 17, 2013
Any updates on this topic? I am CDN and have been working in the US for the past three years. I just leased a car in Aug 2013 (in the US - for three year term) and then got laid off from my US job in November - I had to return to Canada (so I wasn't out of status) and drove my shiny new, leased SUV to BC (no problem at the border - I even told them it was leased?). I can't afford to break the lease early with the penalty -living on borrowed savings as it is until I get a new job.

I called the leasing company and they gave me the same 30 day rule. BUT I also talked to a Canadian auto broker who gave me the following advice:

- "As long as you have the vehicle insured in the US, and maintain some kind of address there, you're OK"
-- I do have an address I can use in the US - BUT - what US insurance company will insure me if I am in Canada?
-- what Canadian/provincial rules are there to having a US vehicle (plates/reg/insurance) for 3 plus years?

- "If you relocate to Canada, you can temporarily import the vehicle to Canada as a visitor.
--- I am not a visitor - but will be a permanent resident of Canada not the US - I have rented a small apartment and am looking for work here

- "When the lease term ends, the vehicle goes back". "If contract says the vehicle can only leave for 30 days max, then you'll have to re-enter the US -eg go shopping - monthly."

Anyone have suggestions??

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
StellarZZ said:
I called the leasing company and they gave me the same 30 day rule. BUT I also talked to a Canadian auto broker who gave me the following advice:

- "As long as you have the vehicle insured in the US, and maintain some kind of address there, you're OK"
-- I do have an address I can use in the US - BUT - what US insurance company will insure me if I am in Canada?
-- what Canadian/provincial rules are there to having a US vehicle (plates/reg/insurance) for 3 plus years?

- "If you relocate to Canada, you can temporarily import the vehicle to Canada as a visitor.
--- I am not a visitor - but will be a permanent resident of Canada not the US - I have rented a small apartment and am looking for work here

- "When the lease term ends, the vehicle goes back". "If contract says the vehicle can only leave for 30 days max, then you'll have to re-enter the US -eg go shopping - monthly."

Anyone have suggestions??
Personally, I would be reluctant to do what the Canadian auto broker suggested as that could be deemed insurance fraud if you ever had a claim.
Most insurance companies expect the vehicle to be parked at the residence that you list on your Insurance policy (and ideally garaged there as well). If you ever had a claim in Canada and they found out that your vehicle had not been `sleeping' at the address on file...that could be a real problem.

Maybe you should consider finding someone in the US to assume your lease. There are many companies that offer assistance with this and you might even get a few bucks in your pocket, provided you can coax a fee from the new lessee.

Good luck!
*edit*

I actually had my US leased vehicle in Canada (I was living in the US near the border) and was involved in in accident in Canada. Someone ran a red light and hit the side of my car, doing about $9k damage. I had no problems with the leasing company (BMW of North America) because, thankfully, Canada is part of North America. I had to find a specialty repair facility, but other than that it was pretty smooth.

However, when I had to turn in the car at the end of the lease, I had to drive to the nearest dealer in the US and find my own way back to the border. The part that still makes me shake my head, is the fact that the dealer said that the new buyer would never even know about the accident in Canada because the VIN would never be shown to have been in Canada. Huh?!?!?! Now, the car was repaired properly but I couldn't believe that they were going to willingly keep this information from the new owner of the car. Shocking.

alwes

Feb 8, 2015
Hi vierx2007,

I just started doing some research about the same predicament - I'm Canadian, was transferred with work Florida, just leased a car in US last month, but family circumstances changed and will be spending most of the next 8 - 12 months in Canada.

Were you able to bring over your leased vehicle? Was it an issue? Did you need special paperwork? Is it an issue for you to cross the border between Canada and the US with your leased car frequently?

I appreciate your help

kawai103

Apr 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2015
LANDED..........
July 2015

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Toyota dealership in Colorado said that its part of Toyota NORTH AMERICA and now i just called the TFS toyota financial services and they are saying im not allowed to take the car to Canada. So what will happen if I just leave the car at the dealership and leave since they lied to me initially ?

No way in hell im going to pay for a car that i cant use.

Is there any way to take the car into Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
carl321 said:
Toyota dealership in Colorado said that its part of Toyota NORTH AMERICA and now i just called the TFS toyota financial services and they are saying im not allowed to take the car to Canada. So what will happen if I just leave the car at the dealership and leave since they lied to me initially ?

No way in hell im going to pay for a car that i cant use.

Is there any way to take the car into Canada?
surely it is between you and the dealer not surte how anyone here can advise what the terms of your lease are.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
carl321 said:
I assume they'll go after you for the unpaid amount of the lease and your US credit rating will also take a hit. You should try to sell the lease to someone else.