12-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
12-12-2013
LANDED..........
17-01-2014
Good day to you all,

My apologies if this been answered but I cannot find a definitive answer to my question anywhere and CIC have been less than helpful and almost rude on many occasions!

My wife and I are just about to submit our CEC application. My wife is the primary applicant. She has an open work permit right now which is due to expire on July 5th 2013. I obtained a Spousal Open Work Permit through her which will also expire on July 5th 2013. In the strong hope that we receive the AOR before July 5th, she will apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit. My question is, will I be eligible for a Bridging Work Permit also? And would I apply for that at the same time and on the same or separate forms?

Our wish is to remain together in Canada, working, while our CEC application is processed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMMI_123

Star Member
Jun 11, 2012
Yes, you are also eligible for BOWP along with your wife (once you get AOR, before your current WP expires). You can apply at the same time along with your wife. Go ahead and submit your CEC application as soon as possible to get AOR sooner.

surprisetoken

Dec 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I am also writing a BOWP application for my wife and myself, and have some questions regarding my application.
I will appreciate if anyone answer my question or give me a hint.

======= Question #1 ==========

My wife has obtained a spousal open work permit through my PGWP,
I am the primary applicant for our CEC application.

If I create a new online application on MyCIC,
it shows an eligibility check page, and one of the questions confuses me.

"Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?"
Since my wife and I live together and will stay in Canada, I answered "yes".

Accompanying a family member means you will be staying with a family member who is already in Canada as a visitor, worker or student.
Accompanying family member: A spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or grandchild of someone who is still dependent on their parent, who plans to immigrate to Canada with the principal applicant. Accompanying family members are included on the application.
However, if I choose "yes", then "Family Member Proof of Status" appears on the required supporting document section.

Family Member Proof of Status
You must provide a copy of your family member's Canadian citizenship or Canadian immigration status document (e.g., Canadian passport or Permanent Resident Card). Please copy both sides of the document.
My wife is neither Canadian citizen nor PR holder. We cannot submit such a document.

A strange thing is that..

If I answer "no" for the **accompanying question, then
"Family Memeber Proof of Status" disappears from the document upload section: Yeah~

However, I can still choose "yes" for the following question, and submit an application for my wife:
"Do you want to submit an application for a family member?"

Should I answer "No" for the accompanying question?

========= Question #2 ====================
On IMM5710E, should I state that I am applying for
"a work permit with the same employer"
or
"a work permit with a new employer"?

I currently hold a PGWP and it is going to be expired on 2013 July.
I know that we cannot extend PGWP.
Thus, am I applying for a new employer, although both PGWP and BOWP are open work-permit?

Thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
surprisetoken said:
I am the primary applicant for our CEC application.

Since my wife and I live together and will stay in Canada, I answered "yes".

If you are the principal applicant, you cannot accompany yourself :) Your wife is the "accompanying family member." (Accompanying the principal applicant).

========= Question #2 ====================
On IMM5710E, should I state that I am applying for
"a work permit with the same employer"
or
"a work permit with a new employer"?

You are right, the form does not really provide suitable options for the BOWP, just do your best.

You can select either option, whichever fits your situation best. Some have written in "not applicable" but I don't know if you can do that online (and I do recommend submitting it online)

genghis7

Mar 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
21-05-2013
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
12-12-2013
LANDED..........
17-01-2014
IMMI_123 said:
Yes, you are also eligible for BOWP along with your wife (once you get AOR, before your current WP expires). You can apply at the same time along with your wife. Go ahead and submit your CEC application as soon as possible to get AOR sooner.
Thanks IMMI_123. Yes we should be sending off the CEC app in the next week or so. My wife is just waiting for a couple of documents. I will post again later on to give an update for anyone's future reference.

PB02

Star Member
Mar 5, 2013
Hi genghis7,
I am applying for an Open WP for my spouse based on my PGWP. Can you please advise what documents you submitted when you applied under your spouse or please let me know if I need anything other than these:
My Spouse's current visitor permit in Canada
Marriage Certificate
My PGWP
Copies of my passport
Letter from my employer
Letter from my company insurance showing my spouse as a beneficiary
Current Paystubs

genghis7

Mar 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
21-05-2013
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
12-12-2013
LANDED..........
17-01-2014
PB02 said:
Hi genghis7,
I am applying for an Open WP for my spouse based on my PGWP. Can you please advise what documents you submitted when you applied under your spouse or please let me know if I need anything other than these:
My Spouse's current visitor permit in Canada
Marriage Certificate
My PGWP
Copies of my passport
Letter from my employer
Letter from my company insurance showing my spouse as a beneficiary
Current Paystubs
Hi PB02

Yes, all of those items are what we sent. We actually sent passport copies (photo page + all stamped pages) for the both of us. The initial application for the spousal open work permit was rejected in error as they didn't believe my wife's job to be in the correct NOC category. I re-applied enclosing a semi-stern letter from myself together with printouts from the HRSDC website as proof. 2 months later the work permit was granted. Just make sure everything is clear for them to leave no doubts in their mind. Good luck to you!

Van2012

Jan 2, 2013
IMMI_123 said:
hi guys

I have a question.

My spouse is the primary applicant on PR application.
Can I apply for BOWP for me (as my WP is expiring 3 months before my spouse) only.

Please reply.

genghis7

Mar 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
21-05-2013
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
12-12-2013
LANDED..........
17-01-2014
Hi

I just wanted to provide a current update for anyone's future reference. We sent off the CEC application which the CIO received on April 8th 2013. Credit card payment was taken on May 14th 2013. And today, May 21st 2013, we received the AOR. So now we are in a position to apply for our Bridging Open Work Permits.

I just have a couple of questions regarding completing the form (IMM 5710 I believe). As it is for an Open Work Permit, does my wife need to complete the employment section? It's just that she is looking for other work and may get a new job very soon. And, as I am the secondary applicant on my wife's CEC application I want to enclose a letter explaining that I am also applying for a Bridging Open Work Permit etc. The reason is because the form itself makes no specific mention of a Bridging Open Work Permit, I just want to paint the clearest picture possible to the officer. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks so much for your support.

genghis7

Mar 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
21-05-2013
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
22-10-2013
Passport Req..
12-12-2013
LANDED..........
17-01-2014
One further update. We sent off our applications for our BOWPs on July 3rd 2013 and we received them today!

ioanag

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07- 19-2012
Doc's Request.
06-19-2013 (police clearance for spouse)
AOR Received.
08-16- 2012
File Transfer...
08 -16- 2012
Med's Request
04-20-2013
Med's Done....
04- 24 -2013
Passport Req..
15-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Congrats! Did you apply online or paper application?

mansari

Star Member
Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with application
AOR Received.
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
12-08-2013
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hi,
i need some info.
i am on study permit and my wife on open work permit.
we have applied for PR under cec on 8th aug 2013 and both of our permits are expiring on 30th aug 2013 anf waiting for AOR.
can we apply for BOWP together.
do i have to fill 2 imm5710 forms and send together in the same envelope???

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mansari said:
hi,
i need some info.
i am on study permit and my wife on open work permit.
we have applied for PR under cec on 8th aug 2013 and both of our permits are expiring on 30th aug 2013 anf waiting for AOR.

refer the below link for BOWP tips and covering letter as well . mostly likely you wont receive AOR before 30 Aug. you may need to submit the BOWP on 30 Aug 2013 though online
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/tips-for-a-successful-bowp-application-t147650.30.html
can we apply for BOWP together. ---Yes .both can apply BOWP
do i have to fill 2 imm5710 forms and send together in the same envelope??? Better to apply online , 30 days processing time for BOWP application processing

mansari

Star Member
Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2013
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with application
AOR Received.
08-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
12-08-2013
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hi canada cec,
i should apply online...i was sending paper application... dont you think i can buy time???

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
Hi Guys ,

My FSW2 PR is in process and I am planning to apply BOWP now. My Current closed WP expires in 1st week of December . And my wife has an open work permit expiring at same time.

I guess job offfer is not needed for BOWP .

One clarification . Do we need separate Forms each filled for both of us ? This links mentions that .

http://www.trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/canadian-experience-class/1176595953/need-advice-bridging-open-work-permit-and-pgwp-extension

@genghis7

Do you apply through paper application ?