+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

Raptors

Apr 5, 2017
Hi there,

I applied for my BOWP on March 7th and still haven't heard back. On the website, it says as of April 7th, they were processing applications received on Feb 23rd.

Their processing time seems to be increasing by the day. Has anyone over here, who applied in last week of Feb or first week of March, received their BOWP over the last week.

Would appreciate any guidance in this regards.

Thanks

pilot747

Mar 9, 2015
I applied for BOWP on Feb 24th. It was put "oh hold" on April 3rd.

This is from CIC.

Express Entry: determining if an e-APR has passed the completeness check

If a foreign national submits an APR using Express Entry, they may apply for a BOWP if they meet the eligibility requirements. However, a decision on the application will not be made until the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) has assessed the e‑APR for completeness. A BOWP can be issued only if the e‑APR has passed the R10 completeness check.

Before issuing a BOWP, officers must check the Global Case Management System (GCMS) to ensure that the CIO has reviewed the application and determined that it meets the requirements of a complete application as described in sections R10 and R12.01. If the e‑APR is incomplete, the application for a BOWP must be refused. The open work permit holder fee can be refunded, but the processing fees cannot.

Complete application: The CIO will enter the following note in GCMS: “R10 OK.”

Incomplete application: The CIO will cancel the e‑APR and enter the following note in GCMS: “E‑APR rejected as incomplete. Client not eligible for BOWP.”

Applicants applying for a BOWP must include a copy of their Acknowledgment of receipt - Application for permanent residence letter with their open work permit application.

Aliz14

Star Member
May 24, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Additional Documents 01 Feb 2017
Nomination.....
20 Oct 2016
AOR Received.
17 Nov 2016
Med's Request
25 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2017 (Somewhere)
Passport Req..
26-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting..........
LANDED..........
GOD Knows......
Hi Guys

I need your suggestion. I am going to apply for BOWP. Currently, I am working & living in Alberta. I submitted my PR application on basis of PNP - Nova Scotia.
Since I decided to select New Employer in BOWP application form. So my Question is that, Do I need to submit job letter where I am currently working with the application? in BOWP application Checklist, It is not asking for to upload current job letter.

Please advice me.

Thank you in advance.

ganeshac1985

Feb 8, 2017
App. Filed.......
17/02/2017
AOR Received.
17/02/2017
Med's Done....
11-04-2017
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
Raptors said:
Hi there,

I applied for my BOWP on March 7th and still haven't heard back. On the website, it says as of April 7th, they were processing applications received on Feb 23rd.

Their processing time seems to be increasing by the day. Has anyone over here, who applied in last week of Feb or first week of March, received their BOWP over the last week.

Thanks
HI,
I applied on BOWP on February 17th and it went "on hold" on 29th March... I am still waiting for my BOWP
Regards

ganeshac1985

Feb 8, 2017
App. Filed.......
17/02/2017
AOR Received.
17/02/2017
Med's Done....
11-04-2017
Passport Req..
19-09-2017
Aliz14 said:
Hi Guys

I need your suggestion. I am going to apply for BOWP. Currently, I am working & living in Alberta. I submitted my PR application on basis of PNP - Nova Scotia.
Since I decided to select New Employer in BOWP application form. So my Question is that, Do I need to submit job letter where I am currently working with the application? in BOWP application Checklist, It is not asking for to upload current job letter.

Please advice me.

Thank you in advance.
I don't think u need to attach offer letter. As far as I know, it is open work permit and u don't need job offer letter. Just make sure you don;t have provisional specific restrictions when they nominate...Hope this helps

Raptors

Apr 5, 2017
ganeshac1985 said:
HI,
I applied on BOWP on February 17th and it went "on hold" on 29th March... I am still waiting for my BOWP
Regards
Hi Ganesh,

Your application went on hold because they await the clearance of the R10 check (which is the eligibility check on your PR application). It takes a few months before that check is completed. Hence, they put your application on hold until that check is completed.

Raptors

Apr 5, 2017
pilot747 said:
I applied for BOWP on Feb 24th. It was put "oh hold" on April 3rd.

This is from CIC.

Express Entry: determining if an e-APR has passed the completeness check

If a foreign national submits an APR using Express Entry, they may apply for a BOWP if they meet the eligibility requirements. However, a decision on the application will not be made until the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) has assessed the e‑APR for completeness. A BOWP can be issued only if the e‑APR has passed the R10 completeness check.

Before issuing a BOWP, officers must check the Global Case Management System (GCMS) to ensure that the CIO has reviewed the application and determined that it meets the requirements of a complete application as described in sections R10 and R12.01. If the e‑APR is incomplete, the application for a BOWP must be refused. The open work permit holder fee can be refunded, but the processing fees cannot.

Complete application: The CIO will enter the following note in GCMS: “R10 OK.”

Incomplete application: The CIO will cancel the e‑APR and enter the following note in GCMS: “E‑APR rejected as incomplete. Client not eligible for BOWP.”

Applicants applying for a BOWP must include a copy of their Acknowledgment of receipt - Application for permanent residence letter with their open work permit application.
Hey when did you apply for the PR? As you mentioned they await the R10 check to be completed. Hopefully, it moves fast. For me, my checks were completed but the processing is so slow that they still have not started the month of March (apparently) - unless someone here submitted their application in early March and have heard back recently?

hasankhan27

Jun 23, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-Dec-2017
hrlee915 said:
Thank you for answering my question!
But it's been more than a week and I am experiencing the same issue:(....
I don't know what to do.. :eek:
try contacting CIC through "report technical issue"

at least you can take a screenshot and attach it to your application, in case you get late.

hasankhan27

Jun 23, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-Dec-2017
Raptors said:
Hi there,

Thanks
I applied on March 10 and still there is no activity.

hasankhan27

Jun 23, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-Dec-2017
Aliz14 said:
Hi Guys

Please advice me.

Thank you in advance.
Its an application for an "open" work permit so it is not dependent on your employer. So no need for the employment letter.

At least that is what the opinion was from other posts on this forum.

coffeeguy

Apr 17, 2017
Hey guys

My work permit expired on Feb 19th and I did a paper application in order to gain some time.
I'm currently sitting on 453 points on my express entry profile and I plan to put my profile live this week, I expected to get the ETA on the next draw or on the next 2 or 3 draws.

Does being in implied status makes me not eligible for a BOWP?

hasankhan27

Jun 23, 2012
Edmonton
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-Dec-2017
coffeeguy said:
Hey guys

My work permit expired on Feb 19th and I did a paper application in order to gain some time.
I'm currently sitting on 453 points on my express entry profile and I plan to put my profile live this week, I expected to get the ETA on the next draw or on the next 2 or 3 draws.

Does being in implied status makes me not eligible for a BOWP?
Your case seems to be a unclear from the info that you have provided above.

Applicants are eligible for a BOWP in either of the two cases;

1- You have applied for PR and your existing work permit will expire in the meanwhile - makes you eligible for an open work permit
2- You have a provincial nomination and you will be applying for PR based on that - makes you eligible for a closed work permit.

In both conditions above you have to show proof that you have either applied for PR or been nominated by a province.

Raptors

Apr 5, 2017
kaykat27 said:
I got my AOR on Jan 29, applied for BOWP on Feb 1 and I didn't get BOWP appoval till April 11.
Yeah I believe your application would have been put on hold, until the R10 check got completed. That would probably explain the delay