+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Breakdown of Sponsorship Relationship

sarah2012

Jan 3, 2012
Oh I am so very lost. It seems not that long ago (2012) I was applying for my common-law sponsorship visa. I got it in 2013. Everything was amazing, we were so happy. Over time, we had some relationship trouble, after a year of arguments we decided to end it. I asked him why was he so unhappy; and he was honest. Brutally honest. He hated me for so long and everything about me. He was verbally abusive and twice physically. I honestly didn't see it coming, I thought we were going to be okay, but I was wrong. I loved the good times of the relationship but it was time for us to end it. He is telling everyone I was with him for a visa, this is completely and utterly false. I think he is just lashing out at me.

I moved out and am barely surviving financially and emotionally. I don't know anyone in this city in Canada, as he and I moved here not long ago. I am so so lost. My employers are being lovely about the situation, but I suspect they are losing patience because I am really awful at my job right now.

I have Permanent residency status, it will be a number of years before I can apply for citizenship, if I want to go for it. Is there any way my now ex-common law spouse can impact my PR status or anything like that? He's still my sponsor but will not give me any money to survive, although he gave me a few hundred dollars when I moved out, that was to buy me out of my share of some household stuff we owned jointly. I have a job, we didn't have children, I can just about afford rent and food. I found information online, that I don't think he can impact my PR status, but I want to make sure. I don't want to go to court to get money from him, and he refused to see a mediator.

I just want to be near my family and friends, leave this lovely country, and go home and cry. I can't do that financially and so I want to make sure if I can stay here, there's no way he will impact my life further - in the immigration sense anyway. After I know that, then I can start to pick up the pieces and heal.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the date your application was submitted, your PR status isn't conditional. This means that even though your relationship has broken down - your PR status is yours to keep. He can't impact you from that perspective.

Assuming you qualify, you can apply for social assistance / welfare to help yourself financially while you are still in Canada.

If you decide to return home for a period of time, keep in mind that you must live in Canada for two out of every 5 rolling years to keep your PR status.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm so sorry to hear aabout your situation.

Here's a very important question:
Do you have a conditional PR? Do you have Condition: 51 on your CoPR document?

If you do, your sponsor could contact CIC and tell them that you are no longer living together, which would be a violation of the condition. This does NOt mean that you would necessarily lose your PR, but...you could.

e
If you do NOT have that condition...there's nothing that he can do...AND, he is still financially responsoble for you for 3 years after the date that you landed. This means that if you were to go on Social Assisitance, and did not repay the government, he would be on the hook.

Perhaps you should remind him of this!

Good luck to you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wasn't aware that you had applied for PR in Feb 2012, so scylla is correct. There's nothing that he can do, but he is still financially responsible for you as of now. :)

sarah2012

Jan 3, 2012
Thank you both for your feedback. I do not have conditional status. I just double checked. So this is good news, he can do nothing to me regarding visas/immigration. Thank you so much.
I will look into other resources for social assistance or anything else, in case I qualify. He is financially responsible for me for another five or so months.
I know I am emotional and this is coming across in my writing. I think I'm still in shock over everything. Thank you for replying xxx