22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Charliesaurus said:
That sounds really great.. Are they usually pretty loose on applications? Not as tight as IEC? If I wish to go over there September 2015, when should I apply? When they give me my work permit through the airport, do I just take that to any employer and ask for a job? What if I don't get a job within a certain amount of time?
I would apply when the application process opens fully, Bunac will email you I think if you sign up. From what I recall you can apply straight away as your year visa doesnt start when you apply but rather when you land in Canada. Once you apply through Bunac you would just select the flight date you want.

When your looking for a job some employers ask to see the visa...others dont, but its wise to inform them that you are only on a year visa. The Bunac visa can't be extended though so once its up you would have to stop and decide whether you wanted to apply inland or outland.

Charliesaurus

Sep 17, 2014
Leeds, England, United Kingdom.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Don't see anything wrong with saying "extending visa to achieve common law status with boyfriend". I have see people posting that as reason for extending visitor visa and able to get their extensions asked.

The main thing is don't tell the border agent that you are visiting boyfriend to establish common law status. That will get you denied entry. Make no mention of long term plans at all. Once you get in, only then do you mention common law status purposes in asking for extension.

Screech339
:) This is great, thank you so much!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Charliesaurus said:
Can I apply for BUNAC/IEC whilst I'm visiting in Canada?
IEC yes if you do it directly through CIC website. I was just looking at the Bunac site, the visa is actually an IEC visa....I'm not sure if they get a specific allocation or whether you are just piled into the pot with the other IEC applicants. Might be an idea to give them a call to clarify. I also noticed they are doing a 'full placement' option where they get you a job as well. I'm guessing though you have to be living somewhere like Toronto to get that.

CLYL

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2014
Med's Done....
September 2014. Remedical request Nov 2015
Interview........
IP since aor2 date in February 2015. Status changed to IP sometime in mid August 2015
The only help I can offer here is that TD bank lets non canadian citizens open up bank accounts with a passport and a credit card (I was told a visa card, not sure if master card works though). I believe other big banks do same, but not 100% sure. Pc financial doesn't offer this though.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
One more thought to the bank accounts: I don't know how old are your experiences, but my husband tried to add me to his account (not for a credit card, just to put my money under my and his name). I had a passport, a marriage licence, my husband's declaration that I live here with him in Canada and he takes responsibility for everything, but it wasn't enough. We tried Vancity, Coast Capital and Scotia Bank. We were told that rules became stricter in the past couple years.
Once I had my visitor record, which was issued by the Canadian government and had my photo, my husband was able to add me to his account, I got a debit card, and with that debit card I became able to open an account or have a secured credit card wherever I wanted.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Interesting - my visitor's record doesn't have my photo...

RBC worked (husband added me to his account) in March 2014 - but that was in Ontario, so I wonder if it depends on the province?

Becki567

Aug 8, 2013
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2013
AOR Received.
27-09-2013
File Transfer...
30-09-2013
Med's Done....
09-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-05-2014
I know that everything I have said in this thread has pretty much been ignored but if you are going to listen to one thing this would be it:

DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!!

Unless you enjoy throwing away hundred of pounds.

A few years ago out of all the visa available Bunac held a certain percentage, so in order to get access to those visas you had to sign up with them. This is no longer the case. They do not get you access to a visa and they do NOT assure you that you get a visa.

In fact, during the last IEC period many many many many many people that signed up for Bunac did not get a visa and Bunac did not even send out email stating that the visa's were open until the day after they were already gone. #wasteofmoney

There is a Facebook group ======> https://www.facebook.com/groups/532057633501527/ You will see this is the case.

I also suggest searching for a forum called British Expats. The people there are much more familiar with cases specific to British citizens.

CLYL

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2014
Med's Done....
September 2014. Remedical request Nov 2015
Interview........
IP since aor2 date in February 2015. Status changed to IP sometime in mid August 2015
sophieee said:
One more thought to the bank accounts: I don't know how old are your experiences, but my husband tried to add me to his account (not for a credit card, just to put my money under my and his name). I had a passport, a marriage licence, my husband's declaration that I live here with him in Canada and he takes responsibility for everything, but it wasn't enough. We tried Vancity, Coast Capital and Scotia Bank. We were told that rules became stricter in the past couple years.
Once I had my visitor record, which was issued by the Canadian government and had my photo, my husband was able to add me to his account, I got a debit card, and with that debit card I became able to open an account or have a secured credit card wherever I wanted.
We just had our accounts set up at td canada in July 2014. They didn't need any marriage license.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
I'm in BC, and I got a visitor record at the border, that one had a place for photo. I didn't need a marriage licence either, but a government issued ID.
Maybe the OP can try and get a drivers's licence, depending on the province.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
sophieee said:
My experience is from November 2013, right after we got married. We had our marriage certificate, his passport with a stamp in it and his Pennsylvania driver's license. I can't remember if we had any mail proving his address here in Canada. We had no issues getting him added to my account and getting him a debit card. He wasn't able to get a credit card until he had his CoPR and had landed, but once he did land, we just went in with his CoPR and PA license and again had no issues. I didn't try adding him to my credit card, so I'm not sure if that would have been ok. I use Scotiabank.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
Becki567 said:
I know that everything I have said in this thread has pretty much been ignored but if you are going to listen to one thing this would be it:

DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!! DO NOT USE BUNAC!!!

Unless you enjoy throwing away hundred of pounds.

A few years ago out of all the visa available Bunac held a certain percentage, so in order to get access to those visas you had to sign up with them. This is no longer the case. They do not get you access to a visa and they do NOT assure you that you get a visa.

In fact, during the last IEC period many many many many many people that signed up for Bunac did not get a visa and Bunac did not even send out email stating that the visa's were open until the day after they were already gone. #wasteofmoney

There is a Facebook group ======> https://www.facebook.com/groups/532057633501527/ You will see this is the case.

I also suggest searching for a forum called British Expats. The people there are much more familiar with cases specific to British citizens.
Ah I did wonder when it mentioned IEC visa. Sounds like some good advice there Becki best steer clear.