+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

Lolo851

Oct 2, 2014
I applied for BOWP by mail on August 22 and still haven't heard anything back. Is this usual? Is anyone else in the same boat? They must have received it as I sent it via recorded mail, but I am starting to worry a little... :eek:

OK - update! I called and they said the BOWP was approved and mailed on October 22nd. What is the normal time of receipt for mailed BOWPs?

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
BCbarbie said:
Thanks so much for your answer.

Did you attached an employment letter or job letter as well?

Do we need to attach employment or job letter from our current employer?

Thanks again!
No. I did not attach anything with regards to my work. It is an open work permit by definition. So in the Details of Intended work I just put "Not Applicable" for the employer and leave the rest blank.

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Cabalen said:
No. I did not attach anything with regards to my work. It is an open work permit by definition. So in the Details of Intended work I just put "Not Applicable" for the employer and leave the rest blank.
Thanks again Cabalen.

Are you currently working for the same employer?

I am currently working for the same employer, and I'm not planning on changing jobs at least for the short term. I still would want an Open work permit though. I can still ask my employer to give me an employment letter, even though I highly prefer not to do this.

Even the employment letter is not required, will that be a positive or negative thing on your BOWP application? On one end, it seems that it sounds convincing that you are currently working, and want to extend your open work permit. On the other end, I saw on the forum that attaching the employment letter might be misleading that you want a closed work permit, and they might require LMP for that.

Is it better to leave it out then?

Thanks for any advice on this!

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
BCbarbie said:
Thanks again Cabalen.

Are you currently working for the same employer?

I am currently working for the same employer, and I'm not planning on changing jobs at least for the short term. I still would want an Open work permit though. I can still ask my employer to give me an employment letter, even though I highly prefer not to do this.

Even the employment letter is not required, will that be a positive or negative thing on your BOWP application? On one end, it seems that it sounds convincing that you are currently working, and want to extend your open work permit. On the other end, I saw on the forum that attaching the employment letter might be misleading that you want a closed work permit, and they might require LMP for that.

Is it better to leave it out then?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Don't understand one thing Why to make process complicated . What you are going to achieve and Why you are providing Emp letter ?
for BOWP VO is not going to take decision based on Emp letter,
be clear and straight .

Rest is up to you if you like life full of adventures
Good luck

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
CEC_1304 said:
Don't understand one thing Why to make process complicated . What you are going to achieve and Why you are providing Emp letter ?
for BOWP VO is not going to take decision based on Emp letter,
be clear and straight .

Rest is up to you if you like life full of adventures
Good luck
Thanks CEC_1304 :)

So it is best to Not include employment letter for BOWP application right? I have received AOR and that should be sufficient?

I definitely don't want anything complicated :)

Thanks so much!

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
BCbarbie said:
Thanks CEC_1304 :)

So it is best to Not include employment letter for BOWP application right? I have received AOR and that should be sufficient?

I definitely don't want anything complicated :)

Thanks so much!
3 points you should fulfill
1) AOR must received
2) Must be in Canada at the time of apply BOWP
3) Must be in 4 month time frame before your current WP expire (Means your current WP are going to expire on 29 Feb 2015 or before )

Hope this will help

Thanks and good Luck

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
CEC_1304 said:
3 points you should fulfill
1) AOR must received
2) Must be in Canada at the time of apply BOWP
3) Must be in 4 month time frame before your current WP expire (Means your current WP are going to expire on 29 Feb 2015 or before )

Hope this will help

Thanks and good Luck

Thanks again!

How do I prove that I am currently in Canada? Do I write that in a cover letter?

ANyone has applied BOWP online? do they give you an opportunity to attach a cover letter together with AOR?

Thank you!

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Cabalen said:
I just applied online last week. They require the online checklist code before you can apply online. So I don't think you can use the document checklist unless you are applying via paper forms.

You need to answer the questionnaire. I did it a couple of times because the first result was I am not eligible so I changed some of my answers then got work permit results. They don't require the AOR in the checklist, I assumed they can cross check your name in their database if you have an AOR already but it is highly recommended by this forum to attach the AOR. I attached the AOR on my explanation letter.

Hope this helps.
Hi Cabalen,

Just wondering if a cover letter was required on your checklist?

I'm planning on combining AOR with a cover letter, but the cover letter is not shown on my personal checklist. Will I still be able to attach it with my online application?

Thanks!!

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
BCbarbie said:
Thanks again!

How do I prove that I am currently in Canada? Do I write that in a cover letter?

ANyone has applied BOWP online? do they give you an opportunity to attach a cover letter together with AOR?

Thank you!
There is option for Covering letter/Explanation letter upload (Sorry not able to collect exact label what it call) :)

I uploaded explanation letter in my SOWP application case (as the first application got rejected because of VO mistake)

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
Agree with CEC_1304 on all points. I followed his advice with regards to the explanation letter.

As mentioned already, the explanation letter is not in checklist but once you are already uploading files online you will see that portion (usually below each person in the application).

Yes combine explanation letter and AOR. This also applies to other required docs that they need to be in 1 file. Like example passport pages should be only in 1 file.

SOWP - Spousal Open Work Permit - for your spouse, needless to say.

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Cabalen said:
Agree with CEC_1304 on all points. I followed his advice with regards to the explanation letter.

As mentioned already, the explanation letter is not in checklist but once you are already uploading files online you will see that portion (usually below each person in the application).

Yes combine explanation letter and AOR. This also applies to other required docs that they need to be in 1 file. Like example passport pages should be only in 1 file.

SOWP - Spousal Open Work Permit - for your spouse, needless to say.

Thanks Everyone!

katie26

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2014
Doc's Request.
PFPR paid upfront
AOR Received.
27/06/2014
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
Med's Request
23/12/2014
Med's Done....
30/12/2014
Passport Req..
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
16/04/2015
BCbarbie said:
Do we need to provide Job letter (to prove you are currently employed) or job offer when applying for BOWP?

On document checklist, it lists as one of the requirements.
You do not need to provide Job Offer for BOWP - just make sure that on the employment questions you indicate that you are applying for BOWP

katie26

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2014
Doc's Request.
PFPR paid upfront
AOR Received.
27/06/2014
IELTS Request
submitted with the application
Med's Request
23/12/2014
Med's Done....
30/12/2014
Passport Req..
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
16/04/2015
lithium002 said:
Are there any members on this forum who have applied for a BOWP after receiving AOR through CEC and have obtained it successfully since it was launched? Can you folks please enlighten us as some members recently shared their stories of rejection going with the assumption that the AOR qualifies as pass for BOWP.

For whoever is planning to apply for BOWP please follow this link and it will answer all your questions, I find it very helpful

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/tips-for-a-successful-bowp-application-t147650.0.html

BCbarbie

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Has anyone applied for PR under CEC through a lawyer or consultant, and now wants to apply for BOWP?

I have my own myCIC account, and I did several applications online through that account. If I receive AOR only as a forwarded email from my lawyer, can I use that email (with lawyer's contact information on it) to apply for BOWP myself, without the lawyer being involved for this application?

Has anyone done that?

Thanks!