+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP(Bridging open work permit), current work permit expired, applied for PR under CEC

gvrus2c

Oct 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

Can you please provide guidance and suggestions in my scenario:

My current closed work permit expired in December 2023, i did not check the expiry date(it’s completely my fault) and was under the impression that I have validity until this March 2024. My employer’s HR also forgot to inform me before hand since everyone were in holiday mood i believe and now am being told to apply immediately for BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) and wait until i get the approval after which I can continue working in my current job. Until I get the approval am told that I cannot work in my current job because technically my work permit validity has expired.

I have already applied for PR under express entry CEC category.

Can anyone please guide me with the below two questions regarding BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) which i am planning to apply:

1) I somehow feel my situation is like a blessing in disguise for me because i actually am interested in open work permit because it gives me the option to change my job to another employer, so while filling the IMM5710 application form section 3: “I am applying for one or more of the following”

should i choose both the options:

Restore my status as a worker
and
Apply for the work permit for the first time or with a new employer

2) What would be the validity of BOWP after my application is processed.

Thanks everyone for the guidance and help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

My current closed work permit expired in December 2023, i did not check the expiry date(it’s completely my fault) and was under the impression that I have validity until this March 2024. My employer’s HR also forgot to inform me before hand since everyone were in holiday mood i believe and now am being told to apply immediately for BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) and wait until i get the approval after which I can continue working in my current job. Until I get the approval am told that I cannot work in my current job because technically my work permit validity has expired.

Can anyone please guide me with the below two questions regarding BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit) which i am planning to apply:

1) I somehow feel my situation is like a blessing in disguise for me because i actually am interested in open work permit because it gives me the option to change my job to another employer, so while filling the IMM5710 application form section 3: “I am applying for one or more of the following”

and

You are in a situation where you need to restore your status since your work permit has expired. You cannot apply for a BOWP only. Agreed you need to stop working immediately.

gvrus2c

Oct 13, 2021
You are in a situation where you need to restore your status since your work permit has expired. You cannot apply for a BOWP only. Agreed you need to stop working immediately.
Thank you for the response.

Here is what my employer tol: they are not willing to apply for closed work permit extension (two step process it seems: restoration first and then extension) because of the extensive paperwork involved and extension is not the only option i have it seems since i have already applied for PR.

This is how my conversation ended with HR telling me that i need to apply for BOWP since it’s faster turnaround time than closed work permit process. I somehow sensed that my employer is not willing to spend the money it takes to apply for closed work permit extension.

Any insight please with the above information ?
Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the response.

Here is what my employer tol: they are not willing to apply for closed work permit extension (two step process it seems: restoration first and then extension) because of the extensive paperwork involved and extension is not the only option i have it seems since i have already applied for PR.

This is how my conversation ended with HR telling me that i need to apply for BOWP since it’s faster turnaround time than closed work permit process. I somehow sensed that my employer is not willing to spend the money it takes to apply for closed work permit extension.

Any insight please with the above information ?
Thanks in advance
You're out of status. You have to restore your status.

gvrus2c

Oct 13, 2021
You're out of status. You have to restore your status.
Can you please kindly provide the accurate link which has the application forms to be submitted for restoration of status. It would be greatly appreciated and will be helpful for me.

Thank you very much

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

and

Have you received ITA for CEC?