+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C24

cicvictim

Mar 26, 2014
openparliament.ca/bills/41-2/C-24/?page=3

Great to see some good comments from NDP and Liberals here, specially around the processing time.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
there will be a meeting today between 3:30 and 5:30 for the committee of immigration and citizenship you can follow on this link

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/upcomingevents.aspx?date=20140325&lang=en&taid=8&tnid=388

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
surgi said:
there will be a meeting today between 3:30 and 5:30 for the committee of immigration and citizenship you can follow on this link

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Parlvu/upcomingevents.aspx?date=20140325&lang=en&taid=8&tnid=388
It is NOT for bill C24. Check this out:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=committeemeetingnotice&Acronym=CIMM&Mee=19&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

It is about:
Strengthening the Protection of Women in our Immigration System

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I don't understand why people post incomplete / inaccurate information BEFORE researching it !

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
us2yow said:
I don't understand why people post incomplete / inaccurate information BEFORE researching it !
The House of Commons web site is tricky. I tried to find the future schedule of the Committee on Citizenship and Immigration, with no luck. I did find a general committee page, which has the schedule for all committees for the next two weeks (and maybe for all of April, but it's impossible to tell if the schedule is blank, or just not updated). Here's the link:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committeebusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

Here is another link -- it shows what legislation is currently before a committee (this is, apparently, the second of seven stages): C-24 is not on this list.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillsBeforeCommittee.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1

If anyone can find a better link, pass it on.

Personally, when C-24 was announced, I decided that I didn't care one way or another what happened, and hoped to avoid this constant checking of the bill's progress . . . But now I do care! It looks like there's a chance that we can get to the summer recess without it progressing very far -- and that means that there's a decent chance I will be able to put in my family's application in October or November.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
The House of Commons web site is tricky. I tried to find the future schedule of the Committee on Citizenship and Immigration, with no luck. I did find a general committee page, which has the schedule for all committees for the next two weeks (and maybe for all of April, but it's impossible to tell if the schedule is blank, or just not updated). Here's the link:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Committeebusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

If anyone can find a better link, pass it on.

Personally, when C-24 was announced, I decided that I didn't care one way or another what happened, and hoped to avoid this constant checking of the bill's progress . . . But now I do care! It looks like there's a chance that we can get to the summer recess without it progressing very far -- and that means that there's a decent chance I will be able to put in my family's application in October or November.
If you can make yourself care a little more also for others, you may want to sign the petition opposing the Bill.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
sashali78 said:
If you can make yourself care a little more also for others, you may want to sign the petition opposing the Bill.
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not going to. I think that this bill has broad support among Canadians, and I think that a movement among non-citizens objecting to it would be used by the Conservative Party, politically. I don't want to help them in that manner. I think that prospective citizens would be much better served by opposing specific provisions in it, and by organizing to get these changed; particularly the removal of half-credit for time spent as a student or worker, and to have a delayed period of implementation so as to have a less-severe impact on people who have been planning their lives according to a particularly schedule. Point-blank opposition, though, I think is counterproductive.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not going to. I think that this bill has broad support among Canadians, and I think that a movement among non-citizens objecting to it would be used by the Conservative Party, politically. I don't want to help them in that manner. I think that prospective citizens would be much better served by opposing specific provisions in it, and by organizing to get these changed; particularly the removal of half-credit for time spent as a student or worker, and to have a delayed period of implementation so as to have a less-severe impact on people who have been planning their lives according to a particularly schedule. Point-blank opposition, though, I think is counterproductive.
Hmm...have you read the petition I proposed (see my signature)?
This petition argues just the removal of the pre-PR time and the application of the Bill C24 on current PR's (i.e. assumed retro-activity) so it with 100% conformance to your own views.
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the bill may be an inconvenience for the future applications, but it is no way as negative as some people here are making it to be. there are many good aspects of the bills. i don't see how staying a year longer in canada makes one's life hell. it saddens how most people are too eager to break contact with their parent country.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
sashali78 said:
Hmm...have you read the petition I proposed (see my signature)?
This petition argues just the removal of the pre-PR time and the application of the Bill C24 on current PR's (i.e. assumed retro-activity) so it with 100% conformance to your own views.
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/parliament-of-canada-do-not-allow-unfair-treatment-of-former-foreign-workers-and-international-students-by-new-canadian-citizenship-bill-c-24
Then I'll sign it -- your post said 'opposing', which I took to be the petition's point. I forgot that the other thing I don't like about it is the new declaration of 'intent' to reside in Canada, which is pure garbage. Either they try to enforce it (stupid and unfair), or it's a rhetorical bon-bon to the jerks who think immigrants are here to work for Canadians and should lose their citizenship if they don't.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
the bill may be an inconvenience for the future applications, but it is no way as negative as some people here are making it to be. there are many good aspects of the bills. i don't see how staying a year longer in canada makes one's life hell. it saddens how most people are too eager to break contact with their parent country.
It is not negative at full, that is why the petition I propose objects certain parts of the Bill and not as a whole. Take a read and you will get a hang of what's wrong with the Bill pretty soon.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Then I'll sign it -- your post said 'opposing', which I took to be the petition's point. I forgot that the other thing I don't like about it is the new declaration of 'intent' to reside in Canada, which is pure garbage. Either they try to enforce it (stupid and unfair), or it's a rhetorical bon-bon to the jerks who think immigrants are here to work for Canadians and should lose their citizenship if they don't.
Thank you. I agree with you, btw.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
the 'intent' part was always there in the fine prints. now that it is a checkbox, people seem to wonder the objective. we apply for citizenship because we do intend to stay in canada. hence we have signed the application till now.

it's almost like if there are an option like "do you intend to vote in the elections?". now applicants will be worried what happens if they don't vote :) mind you, voting is one of the duties being a citizen.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Let's not derail this comment thread into a discussion of the bill's merits -- I like it as it is, a place that tracks the progress through committees. I've learned more about the Canadian government here than I have in my previous almost-3 years of everyday life. We can start a new thread to go over things like 'intent to reside' or what immigrants 'should' do.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sashali78 said:
It is not negative at full, that is why the petition I propose objects certain parts of the Bill and not as a whole. Take a read and you will get a hang of what's wrong with the Bill pretty soon.
sashali78, i applaud your dedication towards your belief. it is quite commendable.

however, personally, i am kind of tiffed off by the attitude of many who wishes to halt the bill till they are eligible to apply and then don't care much what happens after that. many want the passport so they can travel to places and are done with the responsibility to prove residency for their PR verification. i find that quite offending as a reason to apply for the citizenship.