+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C24

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any news about the infamous bill? Are they back from March Break? when is the 3rd reading?

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Goldline said:
Any news about the infamous bill? Are they back from March Break? when is the 3rd reading?
Refer to this:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990

Canadiancookie2014

Apr 1, 2014
With ref. to Bill C24 - I am due for putting in my papers this August 2014. Guys, what is your strong guess on this Bill being passed....do you think it will be passed before August? Will it be with immediate effect if it does get passed? Is there a min.time frame for it to become effective?

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
please be active and sign this petition to withdraw the Bill

once again

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/withdraw-bill-c-24-honour-the-charter-or-rights-freedoms

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
sthaeem said:
Refer to this:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990
Looking at that schedule, am I correct in that the second reading was accomplished on a single day, but that the bill has not been actually received by a committee? And is it also correct that in this process, if there is any stage which can take a substantial amount of time, it is the committee examination? Just asking, I'm embarrassingly ignorant of the legislative system.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I suppose June-July is possible, but it's a bit of a weird estimate:

- the bill hasn't (I think) actually gone to committee yet
- once it goes to committee, it has to come back to the House of Commons one more time, then go to the Senate
- the House of Commons shuts down in June for about 3 months

Anyway, I hope you're wrong! For purely selfish reasons . . .

Canadiancookie2014

Apr 1, 2014
;D

if the House of Commons shuts in June for 3 months...then we have something to smile about!! So for some of us due around that time, we can probably lock in our applications. Having said that, it may not be with immediate effect too once its passed... that's the date all would be waiting for!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Canadiancookie2014 said:
;D

if the House of Commons shuts in June for 3 months...then we have something to smile about!! So for some of us due around that time, we can probably lock in our applications. Having said that, it may not be with immediate effect too once its passed... that's the date all would be waiting for!
That's just how I read this calendar: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberCalendar.aspx

I actually don't know anything about the mechanics of the government, I've got to learn that if I'm going to be a citizen . . .

But yeah, if my interpretation of that is correct (I don't understand why, if the House of Commons is not in session, they still have a few of the pink dates, adjournment tabling days), then if the bill doesn't get out of committee before June, it'll encounter a substantial delay.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Here is a very useful web page -- it shows exactly what stage a bill is at, with a little graphic illustrating its progress: C-24 is at the first stage of 7.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/Home.aspx?Language=E&ParliamentSession=41-2&BillStatus=HouseAt2ndReading&Page=1

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
My wish is they do not pass the bill BUT:
1. To pass any bill, you have to have majority (the Conservative party has the majority)
2. Many NDP and Liberals are not against the bill as a whole but against some parts of it, once these points are fixed, the bill will pass
3. Passing bills in Canada is unpredictable as some bills can pass in less than one month, some pass after several months if not years and some never pass.

It is an election time of the year (end of this year) and every party wants to get voter's support and some will be very extremists like conservatives to get as many as voters so they will have the next prime minister of canada from their own party.

All what we have is to wait and see, but also if we have petition and many sign this petition (thousands, more than 50,000), this will make a difference as the rights as permanent residents that we do not qualify for are: having passport, empolyement in high security places and voting, but the rest of the rights are with us, like if they pass a bill we can object it at the supreme court of Canada

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
elections are not end of this year. next election is Monday, October 19, 2015.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I mean the preparation for election is ahead of time, so if they pass the law by the end of this end they believe they will secure voters by the end if 2015, that is what I meant

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i can tell you that citizens aren't much bothered by this law. so it won't be an election issue much. there are other topics that will effects voters.