+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

raisemyrent

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
focussing our efforts on the processing times is a good idea. MAYBE they are implementing some of the changes late because they are getting ready for the influx of applications? I hope Trudeau makes some promise he cannot keep to the media soon (everyone affected will be a citizen by Canada Day '18 kind of thing) so that he has to keep it.
still, I presume the forms will change little, and the documentation will remain the same, so there is time to prepare your application and make last-minute changes as required (if only the main form or the calculator print-out is what is changed in the end).

SufferInCan

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
A month ago we were worried that HoC and Senate will keep playing the ping pong game forever. And now, we know for sure that the law would be implemented before December 2017!!! This is a huge win. I can't believe the whining.
A month ago, we were worried about the Conservative Senates playing our lives forever. That is understood.
Today, we see that the waiting game is played by the Liberals themselves. That is not understood.

Reactions: UVIR

raisemyrent

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
nice guys finish last. the conservatives were good at parliamentary schemes and enforcing their will (much to many people's dismay). the liberals are trying to be different and that makes things slower.
the fact that senators actually try to do their job (however leisurely) is a huge win for our nation. remember the senate scandals and the days when the senate was but a collection of yes men/women to whatever the PM pushed through?
now if only MPs would actually do what the majorities in their ridings want.... we could have a voting app and tell them what we want every time they vote. our system is antiquated. we'd need them to make new laws, but we could very much have a direct democracy and if you choose to be indifferent to it, that's on you. anyhow... I digress.

Mr Trudeau, pile on more debt! borrow some money, hire more people (sweet, juicy federal government jobs) to push some applications through! same for temporary workers and PRs, this engine is craving for more fuel!

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
those who worry flood of applications should not worry because many immigrants can't afford $650 and most families don't apply because this reason, currently those who are eligible applications are down 40% under c24 as of 2015 to 2017 May because of $650.

Shmak2017

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2016
AOR Received.
2016/09/26
File Transfer...
SA 2016/09/30 & AOR2 on 2016/10/11
Med's Done....
12-08-2016
Interview........
BG IN PROGRESS 30-March-2017 DM :31-March 2017
Passport Req..
10 April 2017
Applicants may count each day they were physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident as a half-day toward meeting the physical presence requirement for citizenship, up to a maximum credit of 365 days.

Does this count those on visitor visa in canada ?

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
those who worry flood of applications should not worry because many immigrants can't afford $650 and most families don't apply because this reason, currently those who are eligible applications are down 40% under c24 as of 2015 to 2017 May because of $650.
This.

Also IRCC has to make some accomodations for the uptick in applicants. There is no way they will just let it fly as is. Budgetary plannings, smoother process, more manpower - whatever it might be government would make some accomodations.

Plus you gotta be smart and beat the traffic. Apply asap whenever the first day of applications will be. Because we all know there will be a surge.

light88

Star Member
Jul 14, 2014
I have a question please help me!

I am worried about proof of language efficiency.

I have completed a 1 year CEGEP Program in ENGLISH in Montreal and have a Diploma to prove that but I just do not know if that's enough.

I have previously completed an academic IELTs and got an 8 but dont have any copies anymore :(

do you have any suggestions please?

I know its not related to subject but this is a very active thread and I wanted a response.

I love canada 99

Nov 17, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have a question and your answers will be very apprciated.

I see under the Bill-C6: Applicants must file Canadian income taxes, if required to do so under the Income Tax Act, for three out of five years, matching the new physical presence requirement.

Does it mean if I'll apply in November 2017 I have to provide the income tax for 2017 (as it is one of the years that matching the physical prescence)? As you know we can't have these papers till May 2018, does it mean I have to wait till May 2018 (I don't think so becasue that does not make sense and that means no one can apply at the end of the actual calendar year or early in th enext fiscal year).

Thanks in advance

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016
I have a question please help me!

I am worried about proof of language efficiency.

I have completed a 1 year CEGEP Program in ENGLISH in Montreal and have a Diploma to prove that but I just do not know if that's enough.

I have previously completed an academic IELTs and got an 8 but dont have any copies anymore :(

do you have any suggestions please?

I know its not related to subject but this is a very active thread and I wanted a response.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

Step 1: Have you completed a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad?
Step 2: Did you immigrate to Canada through a federal immigration program requiring a third-party test result for language ability (e.g. Federal Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class)?

• International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training (not the academic version) must have scores of:
    • 4.0 or higher in speaking and
    • 4.5 or higher in listening (if the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a 4 or higher)
Step 3: Did you immigrate to Canada through the Quebec-selected skilled workers program requiring a third-party test result for language ability that was provided to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI)?
Step 4: Have you completed Federal LINC/CLIC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada/Cours de langue pour les immigrants au Canada) training?
Step 5: Have you completed a provincial language program in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario or Quebec?
Step 6: If you answered “No” to all the other questions but think you can speak and understand French or English well enough to apply for citizenship, you should take a third party language test accepted by IRCC. Submit the results with your application.
Step 7: If you do not think you can get the results to apply for citizenship, we suggest enrolling in a free, government-funded course that provides proof we will accept. These include:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=572&top=5

Reactions: hangincanada

IXIA150

Apr 28, 2017
Hi

Regarding the proof of language.
I already filed my Ielts results for my PR application which I got since 2014.

Now for the citizenship application, do I need to take a new Ielts exam and include the certificate in the application being that it's more than two years for my previous certificate or I could still use the old certificate.

Thanks

Mah2

Jan 31, 2013
Fall starts in September 22 and ends in December 22. I think we should all send emails to the government and ask Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration and our MPs to implement the main part of the Bill c6 that are promised to take effect in Fall and were the most important part to all of us here, earlier Fall (Let's say in September).
I assume the government will try to show that it has fulfilled its promises (Dual citizens part) and have the incentives to overlook and delay the implementation of the main part of bill c6 ( 3 out of five years requirement and time spent prior to PR) to December (which is still fall technically). We should try to stop that.

I personally have seen that our emails work. I sent an email to Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration regarding bill C6 and asked him to do his best in fulfilling their campaign promises on May 8 and received a response 4 days ago.

Here is his reply to my request:

Thank you for your correspondence of May 8, 2017, addressed to the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, concerning Bill C-6. I apologize for the delay in responding.
I appreciate and understand the reasons that prompted you to write. Bill C-6 reflects the Government’s commitment to provide for greater flexibility for applicants to meet citizenship requirements and to reduce potential barriers.
On May 3, 2017, the Senate completed Third Reading of Bill C-6 and sent three amendments to the House for consideration. The Government supports two of those amendments, with modifications. One relates to changes in the process for revoking citizenship to enhance procedural protections; another facilitates access to citizenship by minors.
The Government does not support the Senate amendment changing the age range for applicants to meet language and knowledge requirements as this is not in line with the intent to reduce barriers to acquiring citizenship. The Government remains committed to the timely passage of this important piece of legislation.
If Bill C-6 receives Royal Assent, its provisions will come into force on a day or days to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council. You can follow the progress of the bill on the Parliamentary website at http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=8117654.
Thank you for writing and expressing your concerns. I trust that this information is of assistance.

S. Charbonneau
Ministerial Enquiries Division

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Fall starts in September 22 and ends in December 22. I think we should all send emails to the government and ask Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration and our MPs to implement the main part of the Bill c6 that are promised to take effect in Fall and were the most important part to all of us here, earlier Fall (Let's say in September).
I assume the government will try to show that it has fulfilled its promises (Dual citizens part) and have the incentives to overlook and delay the implementation of the main part of bill c6 ( 3 out of five years requirement and time spent prior to PR) to December (which is still fall technically). We should try to stop that.

I personally have seen that our emails work. I sent an email to Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration regarding bill C6 and asked him to do his best in fulfilling their campaign promises on May 8 and received a response 4 days ago.

Here is his reply to my request:
Fully Agree

Mobilo

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Hello Guys,
I have a question pls, am in the process of getting nomination anytime this week, wl get PR Card when i enter Canada wt my family, if i stay 3 years out of 5, say from January 2018 till January 2021, am i eligible under C-6 or i still have to first fulfil residency obligation to renew PR?
Thanks for your help guys, i need ur views on this pls