+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
Inlandoct2014 said:
What does it mean? a new amendment? to change what?

She wants us to start contacting respective MPs to accept the amendment and pass the Bill ASAP once it goes back to HoC.

She wants people to take action, rather than just them fighting for Bill c-6.

Inlandoct2014

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 2, 2014
File Transfer...
SA, AIP : Jan 14, 2016
Med's Request
Jan 6, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 9, 2016
Interview........
DM: FEB 4, 2016
LANDED..........
March 16, 2016
Guys do you think there is a chance for a new amendment on pre-pr credit or that one is done!

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Inlandoct2014 said:
Guys do you think there is a chance for a new amendment on pre-pr credit or that one is done!
Its done. Only thing left is the terrorism amendment. Once senate votes on it (likely on May 3), it will go to HoC. The chances of new amendments after this are next to zero.

Like C4, once amendment vote is done, they will likely immediately vote again for the entire Bill C6.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And just an FYI, Europeans at this point have zero tolerance for people coming to the country illegally. The idea they can be granted the right to indefinitely remain after staying in the country illegally does not site well with eU citizens.

James Russo

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question regarding the half day. I know that student and work visas will reduce max 1 year of waiting time to apply to became a Citizen, but this would include visitor visa as well?

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
James Russo said:
I have a question regarding the half day. I know that student and work visas will reduce max 1 year of waiting time to apply to became a Citizen, but this would include visitor visa as well?
No. Only temporary resident visas. These include student visas, temporary foreign workers and refugees.

random hero

Star Member
Jul 6, 2016
_MK_ said:
No. Only temporary resident visas. These include student visas, temporary foreign workers and refugees.

Re: Bill C-6: Senate stage
« Reply #1606 on: February 09, 2017, 03:21:25 pm »
Quote from: vsoftco on February 09, 2017, 02:37:04 pm
Time spent on a visitor visa won't count. Only time spent under a working permit (working visa) will count as 1/2 day towards citizenship, up to a maximum of 1 year (i.e. can claim an year if you worked 2 years in Canada before becoming a PR).

This is not correct. Bill C-6 reads: "for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;"

From Wikipedia:

More specifically, the classes of Temporary Resident Documents under IMM1442 are as follows:
Temporary Student - study permit(also IMM1208),
Temporary Worker - work permit(also IMM 1102),
Temporary Visitor - visitor record(also IMM 1097),
Temporary Resident Permit holder who require TRP to overcome inadmissibility issues

Se even if you were in Canada just as a tourist, the days would count as half-days.

Inlandoct2014

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 2, 2014
File Transfer...
SA, AIP : Jan 14, 2016
Med's Request
Jan 6, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 9, 2016
Interview........
DM: FEB 4, 2016
LANDED..........
March 16, 2016
Including Student visa (study permit) TOO! right?

random hero said:
Time spent on a visitor visa won't count. Only time spent under a working permit (working visa) will count as 1/2 day towards citizenship, up to a maximum of 1 year (i.e. can claim an year if you worked 2 years in Canada before becoming a PR).

This is not correct. Bill C-6 reads: "for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;"

From Wikipedia:

More specifically, the classes of Temporary Resident Documents under IMM1442 are as follows:
Temporary Resident Permit holder who require TRP to overcome inadmissibility issues

Se even if you were in Canada just as a tourist, the days would count as half-days.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
random hero said:

From Wikipedia:

I doubt that as it concerns Temporary Residents and visitors do not fall under that category, we don't file the same part of the declaration cards at the border for example, students and foreign workers have to file the resident section and tourists have to file the visitor section. At least prior to C-24 tourists didn't get any credit since they didn't reside in Canada.

random hero

Star Member
Jul 6, 2016
Redfield said:
I doubt that as it concerns Temporary Residents and visitors do not fall under that category, we don't file the same part of the declaration cards at the border for example, students and foreign workers have to file the resident section and tourists have to file the visitor section. At least prior to C-24 tourists didn't get any credit since they didn't reside in Canada.

here is the link for temporary resident definition that shows visitors are included , look under the visitors section to see the definition !

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/overview.asp

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Redfield said:
Actually, people on visitor status do get pre-PR credit for citizenship prior to C-24. In fact my wife would have gotten pre-PR credit toward citizenship before C-24 came into effect (she was on visitor status). CIC officer told her that she was able to qualify for citizenship in 2.5 year after landing (can claim 1 year of visitor status). So to claim that those on visitor status were not being able to get pre-PR credit prior to C-24 is false. This bill will grant pre-PR credit to those on visitor status as well.

Tourists would not qualify on account that they don't have any proof of actually residing in Canada. Their name on a lease or provincial driver's license are examples of proof of residing in Canada. Tourists would not go out and sign a lease. However those on visitor status awaiting for PR are actually residing. Big difference.

Redfield

Mar 9, 2017
screech339 said:
Actually, people on visitor status do get pre-PR credit for citizenship prior to C-24. In fact my wife would have gotten pre-PR credit toward citizenship before C-24 came into effect (she was on visitor status). CIC officer told her that she was able to qualify for citizenship in 2.5 year after landing (can claim 1 year of visitor status). So to claim that those on visitor status were not being able to get pre-PR credit prior to C-24 is false. This bill will grant pre-PR credit to those on visitor status as well.

Tourists would not qualify on account that they don't have any proof of actually residing in Canada. Their name on a lease or provincial driver's license are examples of proof of residing in Canada. Tourists would not go out and sign a lease. However those on visitor status awaiting for PR are actually residing. Big difference.
Yeah but I said tourists didn't get credit, which seems to be the same thing you are saying