Bill C-6: Senate stage

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sen. Ratna Omidvar‏Verified account @ratnaomi 3h3 hours ago
More
C6 coming back to Senate today with report from Committee. It will be read for the third time tomorrow. #citizenship #immigrants

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It would be interesting to know if in the third reading the same procedural rules as for the second reading apply which is that one senator can end the debate by saying he/she wants to speak next and then this person can delay for weeks before they actually give their speech. I guess we will find out soon...

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
sen jaffer just tweeted that she's hopeful it would pass by June 2017 .
A couple of days ago , she was hoping may 2017
source :https://twitter.com/SenJaffer/status/839144328358412288

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
spyfy said:
It would be interesting to know if in the third reading the same procedural rules as for the second reading apply which is that one senator can end the debate by saying he/she wants to speak next and then this person can delay for weeks before they actually give their speech. I guess we will find out soon...
I think that's like that, yes. I think that's why she said it's still a long process.
Plus it has to go back to the HoC with the amendment but that part will probably be very fast.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
spyfy said:
[/b]http://www.parl.gc.ca/procedure-book-livre/document.aspx?sbdid=da2ac62f-bb39-4e5f-9f7d-90ba3496d0a6&sbpidx=6[/b][/b]
[/b]

Debate on third reading commences when the Order of the Day is read for third reading and the Minister or Member, as the case may be, moves: “That the bill be now read a third time and do pass”.[470] The rules relating to the length of speeches during debate are the same as those applicable to speeches and to questions and comments at second reading.[471]

Debate at this stage of the legislative process focuses on the final form of the bill. The amendments that are admissible at this stage are similar to those that were admissible at second reading stage.[472] It is in order to propose an amendment for a three or six month hoist,[473] as well as a reasoned amendment.[474] However, at third reading stage, reasoned amendments must deal strictly with the bill and may not be contrary to the principle of the bill as adopted at second reading
The above is HOC
And Senate

The legislative process through which bills must pass in the Senate is very similar to that in the House of Commons. When the Senate has passed a bill, it so informs the House of Commons by message.

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
I think the debate in the senate at this stage will be in regards to the amendments and not the bill itself , the cons had their chances already with the bill specially Sen. Frum who was a vicious opponent to the bill

from the reading the main amendment they will present is the right for appeal in case of citizenship revocation (apart from the truism act) which include fraud or misrepresentation which was mentione by Sen. Odmivar and Sen. Jaffar

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
subha_1962 said:
[/b]http://www.parl.gc.ca/procedure-book-livre/document.aspx?sbdid=da2ac62f-bb39-4e5f-9f7d-90ba3496d0a6&sbpidx=6[/b][/b]
[/b]

Debate on third reading commences when the Order of the Day is read for third reading and the Minister or Member, as the case may be, moves: “That the bill be now read a third time and do pass”.[470] The rules relating to the length of speeches during debate are the same as those applicable to speeches and to questions and comments at second reading.[471]

Debate at this stage of the legislative process focuses on the final form of the bill. The amendments that are admissible at this stage are similar to those that were admissible at second reading stage.[472] It is in order to propose an amendment for a three or six month hoist,[473] as well as a reasoned amendment.[474] However, at third reading stage, reasoned amendments must deal strictly with the bill and may not be contrary to the principle of the bill as adopted at second reading
The above is HOC
And Senate

The legislative process through which bills must pass in the Senate is very similar to that in the House of Commons. When the Senate has passed a bill, it so informs the House of Commons by message.
Unfortunately, while the general stages (First reading, second reading, committee, report, third reading) are indeed the same in the HoC and the Senate, the rules of the debate (e.g. the decisions on what is debated, when it is debated, who gets to say how much, who can adjourn the debate etc) are very different in the Senate from the House of Commons. The whole "filibustering" that happened during the second reading wouldn't have been possible in HoC since the majority controls the procedures in the HoC and if the majority wants something to pass it passes quickly.

Compare, for instance, the orders of the day in the Senate: Bill C-6 used to be on those for every single day in the fall but it was rarely ever actually debated. Being on the orders of the day in the Senate just means that it is possibly debated. On the other hand, if the orders of the day of the HoC say "Debate on Bill C-XXX" then that usually means that indeed the debate will happen at exactly that time for exactly that time period.

It is actually frustrating how intransparent the Senate is. E.g. there is no televised debates, and the actual rules of the procedure aren't really explained. Instead they say "it's like the HoC, just a bit different" although in fact there is significant differences, see second reading and how a single senator can halt the debate.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
spyfy said:
It will take them around same time of the second reading (3-4 months). They will be discussing same shi* again and again. Following that is the summer break, or probably they will send it to HoC just before the break. We shall hear about passing or not by 2018. I hope the people in here with a chili up their a@@eS calm down... We all want this bill be passed but for the god sake use your brains.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Whocares said:
It will take them around same time of the second reading (3-4 months). They will be discussing same shi* again and again. Following that is the summer break, or probably they will send it to HoC just before the break. We shall hear about passing or not by 2018. I hope the people in here with a chili up their a@@eS calm down... We all want this bill be passed but for the god sake use your brains.
That guess is as good as anyones. Maybe it'll take weeks, maybe months. We indeed don't know. I mostly wanted to point out that the question how long this takes basically comes down to if that filibustering is still allowed or not. Since that is the only thing that delayed the bill more than normal so far.

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
spyfy said:
That guess is as good as anyones. Maybe it'll take weeks, maybe months. We indeed don't know. I mostly wanted to point out that the question how long this takes basically comes down to if that filibustering is still allowed or not. Since that is the only thing that delayed the bill more than normal so far.
I agree with Spyfy. We can hope for the best but also be mentally prepared for delays, as that is not completely ruled out, as yet.

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014
hello

I feel we should all be positive and stop spreading negativity here. everyone here is looking for the same thing. spread positivity and not negativity. by the way, this is my first time commenting. I just read the comment. fingers crossed and praying it passes before Canada day.

hangincanada

Star Member
Oct 6, 2016
Montreal101 said:
I think the debate in the senate at this stage will be in regards to the amendments and not the bill itself , the cons had their chances already with the bill specially Sen. Frum who was a vicious opponent to the bill

from the reading the main amendment they will present is the right for appeal in case of citizenship revocation (apart from the truism act) which include fraud or misrepresentation which was mentione by Sen. Odmivar and Sen. Jaffar
I agree. the other issues have been examined and addressed in second reading and committee hearing. no point to ramble over them in third reading. amendment will be focused. that is why i said the true reason of the delay is the amendment and Omidvar who tried everything to put through the amendment. Last year, she tried so hard to be a part of committee to propose the amendment. it was not mentioned a word in the committee about the amendment. The news article said couple days ago that she was still working on drafting the amendment. Hard to believe she has not had the amendment text prepared after so long. She'd better to initiate a separate bill for the amendment instead of further delaying the passage of the bill c6.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
hangincanada said:
I agree. the other issues have been examined and addressed in second reading and committee hearing. no point to ramble over them in third reading. amendment will be focused. that is why i said the true reason of the delay is the amendment and Omidvar who tried everything to put through the amendment. Last year, she tried so hard to be a part of committee to propose the amendment. it was not mentioned a word in the committee about the amendment. The news article said couple days ago that she was still working on drafting the amendment. Hard to believe she has not had the amendment text prepared after so long. She'd better to initiate a separate bill for the amendment instead of further delaying the passage of the bill c6.
Its okay even if it takes one year more, c6 is very important. may see c6 as rule 3/5 or to get pr credit time

Jan 2018